Using Bow Drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
Just thought I'd say that I have at last got an ember with a Bow drill. Been trying for quite a while. Makes you feel good when you succeed at last.:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well done Sir, it is quite an achievement. Only managed it myself once and to my shame thought (well done that will use flint and steel from now on!) Should really revisit it, you've shamed me into retrying it again soon.
Congratulations again,
GB.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Well done.

If you made the drill set from scratch using natural materials, it's an epic achievement! I managed it a few months back and feel much more accomplished in Bushcraft. I am so glad I didn't go to pallet wood and broom spindle but did it the hard way. There are so many variables involved that it's a constant learning curve of improvement. It has me hooked because I find it so difficult to do. I normally exhaust myself before giving up but I have learned a huge amount.

Now to develop the skill further, I try to make a set most times I am out. I am normally in broadleaf woodland, but took a special trip to some pine woods to see if I could transfer the skill. Within a couple of hours I had a fire going. Being hooked, I am now looking at Hand-Drill fires and also using drills with bracket fungi.

Well done. Anyone who has done it knows that feeling is great!

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
Thank you all for your comments. I did use natural materials. I will now try different woods to see if I can improve.

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Pretty much what everyone else said.......Well done, feels like a huge sense of achievement. I can still remember the day I first accomplished my first coal......happy days ahead :)

CRAY

Jul 24, 2014
Canada
well done chief! its a great feeling, did my first one about 2 months ago and remember the rush.

Didnt really know what I was doing, trying for about 2 hours, sweaty and frustrated, then you get a good spin going the smoke comes and your excitement builds. Then the spindle flew out of the hole and thought it was all over, but wait....... the dust is still smoking!! get it into the tinder ball and start blowing. Then the elation when the ember bursts into flames. Brilliant feeling.

Something like this lol....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybhVvjsEhE

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I remember the feeling well, congratulations, i love the bow drill, I had the very unique experience last week of helping someone make a kit and get their very first bow drill ember and turn it into fire, felt like a father watching his son score a goal for the national team in a world cup final

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
Thanks again to all. Have since tried various woods and apart from Bay Laurel in my garden have got embers with the others. Mixes of Sycamore, blackthorn, Honeysuckle and Ivy. Need take a trip to Epping forest to get more varieties.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
once you have mastered multiple wood combos the next step is with damp wood spindle and hearth combos in wet weather

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
Well done! I haven't used the bow drill in years and just picked it up again last weekend. I was surprised at how difficult I found it.... somehow I thought it would be like riding a bike but it most certainly wasn't.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
i personally prefer the drillbit be slightly harder wood than the hearth, too hard a drill and too soft a hearth and you burn straight through, too soft a drillbit on too hard a hearth and it's like sticking a pencil in an electric sharpener, my favourite (easiest i can get to an ember) combo is willow drill and lime (linden/basswood)hearth

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE