First night at new permission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
After several years of trying to get a local permission for overnighters and general bushcraft activities it has finally happened.

Recently my brothers friend Dave has started joining us out camping, over a camp fire chat he mentioned he does some work for a guy who has some woodland. After a few phone calls we got permission to use the woodland for what ever we wanted to do.

Turns out the guy owns 5 acres, but he wanted to confirm with another guy who owns the rest of the woods that it would be OK for use to be in the woods.

This week we got the green light.

Originally I was on a ban from nights out as my daughter was born only a few weeks ago, but with a bit of smooth talking SWMBO gave me the second green light of the week.

So 30 minutes later my brother Bev, Dave and myself were heading out to the woods.

Soon the tarps started to going up

Mine
egyzuve6.jpg

Dave
eja6aqu7.jpg

(my brother setup pic was accidently deleted)

As it was a late start to the day it soon became dark and dinner was cooked and eaten.

Firewood was plentiful, bearly having to move to get some.
ysare4uz.jpg

zana4y5y.jpg

For the rest of the night was camp fire TV and campfire discussion
y7yrype9.jpg

The guys started some late night carving, I warned them to keep they eyes on their fingers as I left them too it, being a second time dad I was already tired.

amenyqyv.jpg

6am I was up
avuha8u2.jpg

And found my brother just about in his hammock (after feeling a bit restricted he made a late night adjustment)
uqyzu3ap.jpg

gyna9epe.jpg

I wast not best pleased when I found out Dave had decided to but up the fire after I had gone to sleep as he thought it was too small. But hopefully he won't don't again after I had my moan.

u2uqyqan.jpg

Anyway, not wanting to spoil a good night I made some coffee and breakfast
va3e7e8a.jpg

syne6e3u.jpg

I thought I better get back to my baby girl and mommy so packed up early and headed home, with strict instructions on how to deal with the remains of the fire.

yqe4yzev.jpg

Back to the cars (on a short walk due to getting to the woods late it didn't give much time to explore)

ygenerun.jpg

And I headed out
qasuhute.jpg

Stopping at Costa to get some croissant for SWMBO as a breakfast her letting me out on early parole for good behaviour.

ydesu2us.jpg

Thanks for reading (sorry if there's see mistake in the post, dam phone playing up)

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Great stuff Tank

It's amazing how good it is to escape for a couple of hours and switch off from the day to day

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Great spot you have found there Tank.
There must be loads of little areas like this around Oxfordshire, I know of a couple around me that I have yet to ask about. One of them where I live was a yes when I asked several years back but like you I then became a father and never got to follow it up. Congratulations on your new daughter by the way.:)

I did join the Oxfordshire Bushcraft group a while ago but there doesn't seem to have been much activity, have people given up on that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE