Walking for weight loss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sure if he does 40 miles a day he can eat and drink whatever he wants.

Brilliant Paul you just solved world obesity.

*slow clap*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah! But going on and on and on with an argument over whether 2000, 2250 or 2500 kcals a day is right might help!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
As an aside president John F Kennedy one said every American should be capable of walking 50 miles in a day back in 1966. This was in response to a us marine officer showing him an executive order from Roosevelt in 1908 that every us marine officer should be able to walk 50 miles in 20 hours.

Now having done it I can say it is possible but you have to be fit and determined. If you want a good motivation to get fit, lose weight and get healthier then try to train up for a long walk like that. The cross Wales walk at 45 miles, the Keswick to Barrow charity walk at 40 miles or for the masochists the three rings of Shape. Try the fellsman, the woodsman or check out the annual Long Distance Walkers Association's 100 miler. Personally I think the cross Wales and the K2B walks are worth going for. They're well organised and raise money for charity. If weight loss is not enough motivation alne, then signing up for a charity challenge event adds another level IMHO. Plus the training, doing long walks, gets you out and seeing a lot more of the countryside.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As an aside president John F Kennedy one said every American should be capable of walking 50 miles in a day back in 1966. This was in response to a us marine officer showing him an executive order from Roosevelt in 1908 that every us marine officer should be able to walk 50 miles in 20 hours....

Of course he did. But realize just who Roosevelt was. This is the man (Roosevelt) who canoed the Amazon for days with fever refusing to swallow his cyanide pill because he didn't want to leave his son alone in the jungle. And Kennedy did similar acts after his PT boat was sunk.

There's a big difference between walking and a forced march.

Last edited:

CRAY

Jul 24, 2014
Canada
Just an FYI for this thread

I'm a nutritionist by trade and have coached a lot of people with regards to weight loss in the past. Good group of people on this forum so I'm Happy to give advice (unofficial of course) if anybody wanted to ask anything regarding it.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Nah! But going on and on and on with an argument over whether 2000, 2250 or 2500 kcals a day is right might help!

Paul. I'm sorry I got dragged into that but unless you understand your nutritional need you cannot stabilise your weight.

If you go off for a 4 mile walk as a lot of people do and then round it off with a pub lunch an a couple of pints you aren't going to lose weight.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

I'm a nutritionist by trade and have coached a lot of people with regards to weight loss in the past. Good group of people on this forum so I'm Happy to give advice (unofficial of course) if anybody wanted to ask anything regarding it.

Cray , Welcome to the forum and nice sincere offer , I wouldn't wait or someone to ask you if you have anything to add , as you can see there are plenty of people here with plenty of opinions and they are all right ( in their own head ) , so please feel free to dispense with the globally recognised Canadian Politeness and feel free to jump on in.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire

I may take your up on that offer

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland

If you go off for a 4 mile walk as a lot of people do and then round it off with a pub lunch an a couple of pints you aren't going to lose weight.

Sooooooo, if you walk 40 miles - you can have 10 pub lunches, right...?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Sooooooo, if you walk 40 miles - you can have 10 pub lunches, right...?

Assuming you need 2,200 a day just to breathe, 40 miles in a flat neighbourhood will need 4,000 calories.

Assume you eat a relatively healthy breakfast of 500 calories and an evening meal of 900, you could have about 5 pub lunches and a beer.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cheers Tim. Point well made.

No if you aren't going to lose weight on 1 lunch at 4 miles then 10 lunches at 40 will still make you fat.

Besides 2 pints a pop x 10 lunches I doubt many people would be walking anywhere!

When I say "can eat anything" for most people other than those with rather serious disorders a daily 8000 calories isn't likely.

Most of us fatties probably over eat by <500 calls a day and the weight creeps on over time.

I've noticed my weekday diet has me losing 1-2 pounds but I can put on 3 during the weekend this time of year. I'm a sucker for a party buffet or a meal out and drink socially at weekends.

I'm a very social person!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It's very misleading to use JUST calories for judging your dietary requirements.
A calorie is just a measurement of energy.

It's not just energy our bodies needs it's the type of energy, be that taken from fat, carbohydrates, protein etc etc.

If you ate 2500 calories worth of bacon a day, then your fitness and health is going to deteriorate.

You should be looking to get:
10 to 35 percent of your calories from protein
45 to 65 percent of your daily calories from carbohydrates
20 to 35 percent of calories from fat (Unsaturated fats from: oils, nuts, seeds and fatty fish)
No more than 10 percent from Saturated (bad) fats from full-fat dairy products and meat

It's also a bit more complex than that as we have different carbohydrates
• Complex: these come from vegetables, grains (such as bread, pasta, cereal) and legumes (like beans and lentils)
• Nutrient-poor simple: sugars
• Nutrient-rich simple: fruit, milk
• Fibre: whole grains, vegetables, fruit and legumes

For an optimal diet, limit your intake of nutrient-poor simple carbohydrates and choose more fibre-rich carbohydrates. Fibre is a non-digestible carbohydrate, which means that our body does not break it down. Instead, the fibre creates intestinal bulk and helps keep our bowels moving regularly. Aim for 25-35 grams of fibre each day.

And fats
Bad fat: Saturated fat, found in full-fat dairy products and meat, should account for no more than 10 per cent of your total calories (that equals no more than 20 grams each day for an 1,800 calorie diet). Your intake of trans fat, which is found in processed foods made with partially hydrogenated oil, should be close to zero. High intakes of bad fat can increase your cholesterol levels and raise your risk of heart disease.

Good fat: The main sources of your dietary fat should be oils, nuts, seeds and fatty fish. The Canada Food Guide recommends a small amount – about 2 to 3 tablespoons – of unsaturated fat each day. Unsaturated fats are found in oils (like olive, canola, sunflower and peanut) and products made from oil, such as non-hydrogenated margarine and salad dressing. Eating unsaturated fat instead of saturated or trans fat can help lower your cholesterol levels and decrease your risk of heart disease.

Since fat is essential in the diet, it's important to include good fats every day. It's also vital to meet your daily need for essential omega-3 and omega-6 fats. Omega-6 fat is easy to get since it's found in virtually all types of oil. Omega-3 fats are harder to find. For women to meet the daily recommended intake of 1.1 grams, their diet should contain fatty fish, canola oil, flax, walnuts and omega-3 enriched products like milk, cheese, eggs.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
If you ate 2500 calories worth of bacon a day, then your fitness and health is going to deteriorate.

But if you stuck a wick where the sun doesn't shine you'll make an excellent lantern.

On a different note, I don't think anyone was seriously considering eating 10 consecutive pub lunches. Though the salt in bacon is probably going to get you before the fat does.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
And yet the Inuit diet is nearly entirely composed of protein and fat but they are one of the healthiest and most long lived on Earth.

Aren't we humans amazing?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And yet the Inuit diet is nearly entirely composed of protein and fat but they are one of the healthiest and most long lived on Earth.

Aren't we humans amazing?

Umm. No. They aren't. Only about 10% live past 40.

deaths_per_1,170_inuit.png

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Damn lies and Statistics!

Article you ripped that from says those stats were fouled by contact with the Russians and introduction of disease.

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=774f6379-ecd4-4c9a-8b2a-91a3a9ee31f0&k=66897

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/all-meat-diets/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

Don't for one second think I'm advocating 10kgs of bacon a day.

Bloody mouth watering as that thought is.

Yeah the ones you link state less about longevity and more about the lack of cancer as a health benefit. Other opinions cite the lack of longevity as the reason for the lower cancer rates. I tend to agree with the second set of opinions.

All that said, I'm like you about the bacon; I'd love to be able to eat 10 pounds a day! If only I could get away with it.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
But if you stuck a wick where the sun doesn't shine you'll make an excellent lantern.

:lmao:

Dunno mate it's THAT hot here to i feel like a bloody candle :(

Don't for one second think I'm advocating 10kgs of bacon a day.

Bloody mouth watering as that thought is.

Why can't bacon and chocolate be as good for us and caloric free as say celery.

You'd think through evolution of our species we'd be attracted (taste wise) to things that would be safe to eat and good for us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE