Axe handle. Would you send this back?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
recently bought a True Temper axe handle from amazon.com, delivered to the UK to rehandle a double bit head I bought a while back.

The handle arrived in record time, but it's clearly got a large amount of heartwood and I'm worried it wasn't be as strong as it should. I'm planning on using the axe, not just hanging it up and looking pretty.

The grain orientation isn't too bad, it's just the heartwood I'm worried about.

Would you send this back and get another one, or do you think it will be OK?

Cheers!

Chris.

EDIT: Here are some pictures http://imgur.com/a/5L2C6

T4mZzGcl.jpg

clmHa3rl.jpg

Kj8vJeKl.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ummmm. Heartwood? Does that term mean the same to you as it does in the South? Here heartwood means from the heart (center) of the tree. It's something to be desired.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If its Ash or hickory the colouration doesn't make any difference to the strength. The heartwood of ash sometimes is dark brown or black, sometimes its white all the way through.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
You may even find that in use this handle is superior to others as it may have the strength of the heartwood combined with the flexibility of the sapwood....in a similar manner to a bow I guess.

If you're really not happy then email the company, ask them the questions and if they say it's fine and you're still not happy then ask them to swap it if you pay the postage....seems reasonable to me but then I'd keep it ;)

Hope that helps :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's nothing at all wrong with that wood - I'd be pleased to receive it if I was buying one. There's not the same degree of difference between heartwood and sapwood in Ash and Hickory as there is in some other timbers,
IIRC. Much more crucial will be how well you hang it!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That should be fine mate

My 12 year old gransfors Scandinavian forest axe is similar to that and its had a lot of very heavy use, both in northern woods and in arborist work i do

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You will be good. With most white woods there is little difference in tensile strength and compression. In short its just gonna look cool.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just me that's under the impression heartwood was not ideal then. I understood the heartwood to be less springy.

I'd probably just use it anyway and if/ when it breaks - send it back and complain.

Andy

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
As above its fine, heartwood might be more succeptable to rot however (not sure on hickory or ash) But just give it some proection from that and it will be fine.

I like the sapwood, its a nice contrast to the heartwood

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE