Any UK landlords here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Or someone conversant in tenants rights as I have a question. When we get home we're planning on renting a house or bungalow while we look for our house. My question is. Are tenants allowed to change the locks on entry doors providing the landlord is given a set of keys within 2 business days? To be honest my biggest fear is someone making a copy of keys before handing them in on move out and coming back when we're out to help themselves.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

Cheers,
Malc.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Discuss with individual letting agent. When you buy locks they come with more than one key just give them the new key bofore they are fitted. Your are not allowed to bar entry to a landlord , and they are not allowed to just come in without permission. I have certainly had locks changed then the landlord got the keys a few days later.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Discuss with individual letting agent. When you buy locks they come with more than one key just give them the new key bofore they are fitted. Your are not allowed to bar entry to a landlord , and they are not allowed to just come in without permission. I have certainly had locks changed then the landlord got the keys a few days later.

Exactly, after all it is their property.:) My main concern is previous tenants. after running apartment complexes over here I've heard a few horror stories about keys, locks, moving vans and a couple of willing blokes.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Do it, then say the lock jammed on the old one so you bought a new lock to replace it.

No need. Telling the truth is a reasonable request in its own right. Lying to the landlord and then being found out puts a black mark against your honesty.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
No need. Telling the truth is a reasonable request in its own right. Lying to the landlord and then being found out puts a black mark against your honesty.

I'm a landlord, & would be happy with this arrangement, provided it was done by a locksmith, not a diy job.

Rob

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
It has nothing to do with honesty, I am sure you are a upstanding member of the landlord world, but not every landlord is, and some may say no and if they do say yes, it may take them weeks to get a "real"locksmith to come and do the work, by which time anything can happen. If you want to change the lock on the door do so, as long as you don't ask for the money back from the landlord and make sure everyboby who needs a key has one. No harm no foul.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It has nothing to do with honesty, I am sure you are a upstanding member of the landlord world, but not every landlord is, and some may say no and if they do say yes, it may take them weeks to get a "real"locksmith to come and do the work, by which time anything can happen. If you want to change the lock on the door do so, as long as you don't ask for the money back from the landlord and make sure everyboby who needs a key has one. No harm no foul.

Technically you are making a change to the material fabric of the property without consent , which nearly all A.S.T's state cannot be done without the Landlords permission. So if we want to be pedantic , you'd be breaking the terms of the AST.

Also are you not prejudging the Landlords? I agree some are good , some are bad but I try to remain open minded when it comes to tenants rather than label them all based upon a few previous bad experiences. Just a thought.

imo.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I now rent out properties and as a landlord I'd have no problems with a tenant changing locks so long as the work was done by a locksmith and I was there at the time to take my set of keys.

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
I think that most landlords would be amenable provided that a proper locksmith does the job and that the lock's the same standard as the original - otherwise it may screw their insurance, or yours.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I am also a landlord, and you would probably be restricted by changing the fabric.

If a tenant communicated with me - and the communication really is the issue here - I would probably be fine changing the locks, with a financial contribution on their behalf and use a certified locksmith of my choice.

Alex

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
legally i don't know but most Landlords won't have a problem with that if you ask them and explain that is what you would like from the start.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I'm a landlord, & would be happy with this arrangement, provided it was done by a locksmith, not a diy job.

Rob

Does six years of working building maintainence count? I've changed hundereds of sets of locks in my time.:)

THB ,
I'm a Landlord , PM me if I Can be of any help.

TD

Thanks mate will do. We're both retired and not tied to any specific location for a job

You're right there are some downright nasty landlords out there. I knew a guy in Anchorage who rented an apartment and the landlord slipped in a clause in the lease that gave him access rights 24/7 without notice. He was woken in the early hours by the landlord carrying out and "inspection: I worked with him to get out of the lease legally and moved him into one of my units. As under the URLTA that clause was illegal.

I am also a landlord, and you would probably be restricted by changing the fabric.

If a tenant communicated with me - and the communication really is the issue here - I would probably be fine changing the locks, with a financial contribution on their behalf and use a certified locksmith of my choice.

Alex

Oh yeah we foot the bill 100%, there's no way the landlord should be out of pocket.

Thanks for the insight everyone, much appreciated.

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Another landlord here. I lock change every time a tenant changeover happens. I'd have no issues with a tenant doing the same again, as long as it's when I'm present and I have the second key set.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Going back to this , it may be worth pointing out the following , what a person ( not necessarily the OP. ) or tenant is paying for once that enter into an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ( AST ) as there seems to be some confusion amongst tenants and sometimes it seems an 'entitlement' mentality endures.

The tenancy does not mean one can alter the material fabric of the property without the consent of the Landlord. The tenancy means you are RENTING the hire of the living space , as is , under the terms of the agreement at the time of signing the agreement.

In the same way one doesn't book into a Travelodge, Premier Inn and start redecorating because you are now unhappy with the colour / decor of the room , the same holds true of rented property.

Although many of the Landlords I have dealt with are happy to consider whims and desires of tenants ( even more so with proven longer term tenants ) to possibly change the colour of the room , curtains , add another power point there is no RIGHT for a tenant to make these changes without the consent of the Landlord.

Once you've had to ( copiously ) re-paint over a few walls some tenant has decided ( without consent ) would look better repainted in flat matt black...... you may also feel the same over what is afterall your property.

Just saying..... Tenant / Landlord relationship is a Two way street of responsibility and respect over property. Demonstrate that your a good respectful tenant and don't be surprised if you get the Landlord actively reinvesting and 'upping' the general standard of the property and courting you to stay longer. I know I do.

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Going back to this , it may be worth pointing out the following , what a person ( not necessarily the OP. ) or tenant is paying for once that enter into an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ( AST ) as there seems to be some confusion amongst tenants and sometimes it seems an 'entitlement' mentality endures.

The tenancy does not mean one can alter the material fabric of the property without the consent of the Landlord. The tenancy means you are RENTING the hire of the living space , as is , under the terms of the agreement at the time of signing the agreement.

In the same way one doesn't book into a Travelodge, Premier Inn and start redecorating because you are now unhappy with the colour / decor of the room , the same holds true of rented property.

Although many of the Landlords I have dealt with are happy to consider whims and desires of tenants ( even more so with proven longer term tenants ) to possibly change the colour of the room , curtains , add another power point there is no RIGHT for a tenant to make these changes without the consent of the Landlord.

Once you've had to ( copiously ) re-paint over a few walls some tenant has decided ( without consent ) would look better repainted in flat matt black...... you may also feel the same over what is afterall your property.

Just saying..... Tenant / Landlord relationship is a Two way street of responsibility and respect over property. Demonstrate that your a good respectful tenant and don't be surprised if you get the Landlord actively reinvesting and 'upping' the general standard of the property and courting you to stay longer. I know I do.

Ohh that brings back memories. We had a tenant move into a 1 bedroom unit and immeadiatly started pestering the office for permission to paint. My wife said okay providing she okays the colour. Well the tenant brought in a colour card with a rather nice relaxing pale green...she okayed the colour and we thought that was it.

Several weeks later I went in for maintainance and was the green had gone to be replaced with....yup matt black blackboard paint with chalk "artwork" as she called it on the walls.

In short you don't own the space so be bloody respectful of it. I have other horror stories of tenants gone wild, but as they say that's another story.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE