Bushmoot Dutch Oven Workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Hello Folks :)

I know it's been a long time since I last posted, I was the one last year that cooked the welsh cakes on the makers day :)
I also did the cheese and beer damper bread workshop.
I've been asked if I'd like to do the same this year and also do some more workshops on 'Dutch Oven' cooking.
I'm looking for ideas from those that are going this year if there is anything that they would like to see cooked in a 'Dutch Oven' that we could all do as a workshop ???

By the way I'm definitely looking forward to Tim's pizza oven and shall be the first in the queue :rolleyes:
I'm also hoping to do a couple of workshops for the little-uns, maybe jam jar tealight holders again and also some kind of woodland garlands involving twig stars, amongst other things :)

I look forward to any ideas...

Thanks for reading :) looking forward to the Bushmoot now :)

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Thanks for the reply's guys :) I guess any thread where food is in involved gets the old taste buds going... :rolleyes:

Something gluten-free would be good :)

Anything in particular Womble_Lancs that's gluten free that you would like to have a go at?

I know we all cook 'one pot' meals and bread of various sorts in a Dutch Oven but I was wondering if there was anything that folks would like to try that they wouldn't necessarily cook for themselves...

So far I've come up with Banana Fritters, easy batter to make and you don't even need a dutch oven to cook it really, just a deep pan would suffice...

Sorry for the late reply, what with all this fabulous weather the temptation to play with our outdoor 'Toys' is just to much at the moment :eek:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It would be good to do like a meal, as in main course, and pudding with stacked ovens or some such.

I'm just happy to get more time using the dutch ovens

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm looking forward to a Dutch oven cooking workshop :)

You and me :)

Thanks for the reply's guys :) I guess any thread where food is in involved gets the old taste buds going... :rolleyes:

Anything in particular Womble_Lancs that's gluten free that you would like to have a go at?

I know we all cook 'one pot' meals and bread of various sorts in a Dutch Oven but I was wondering if there was anything that folks would like to try that they wouldn't necessarily cook for themselves...

So far I've come up with Banana Fritters, easy batter to make and you don't even need a dutch oven to cook it really, just a deep pan would suffice...

Sorry for the late reply, what with all this fabulous weather the temptation to play with our outdoor 'Toys' is just to much at the moment :eek:
I'd like to try making proper bread in the Dutch

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
No problem Tadpole, I've been practising a no knead recipe based on the one Catrablue posted last year :)

Hopefully we'll be trying it this year at the bushmoot, it's not perfect yet but is definitely edible :)

IMG_8952_zps605a22e8.jpg

I would still like some ideas for a possible main course and dessert to cook please :D

Cordhound

Jul 16, 2014
Mere, Wiltshire
Try this one Courtesy of me...

C-Hound's Chunky 3 Bean Chilli Broth

Suitable for Veggies and us Carnivores alike..

Ingredients:

Cajun spice 1 tsp
Fajita spice 1 tsp
Paprika 2 tsp
Curry powder 1 tsp
Ground black pepper
Coriander
Basil
Oregano
Vegetable stock (2 cubes)
Water 800ml
1/2 an Onion diced finly
2 carrots diced
1 carton passata
2 tbs of tomato purée
3 chopped tomatoes
3 chillies (1 halibinero 2 red medium)
100g red lentils
300g borlotti beans
300g blackeye beans
400g red kidney beans

N.B. Where no measurement is given add to own personal taste.

Method

Use a large pot!

1. Dry fry chilli till aromas are released.
2. Add a little oil, herbs and spices and mix.
3. Add the finely chopped onion and fry till soft.
4. Add the roughly chopped tomato mix till softened.
5. Mix in Passata and vegetable stock dissolved in the water and bring to the boil.
6. Add tomato purée and blend broth with stick blender.
7. Add the red lentils and simmer for approx 15 mins or until lentils are soft.
8. Add in the diced carrots and continue to simmer.
9. Drain and rinse the borlotti beans, blackeye beans & red kidney beans and add to the broth.
10. Simmer until all the beans and carrots are cooked and season to taste.

Serving suggestion:

Serve in earthenware/wooden/horn bowls accompanied by chunky cut, rustic loaf (seeded batch / spelt and rye or batch of your preference) and a simple rough cut side salad (rocket, cucumber, tomato, sweet pepper & onion if at home, or wild salad collected from your surroundings.

Perfect for coming back to, after a long walk, forage in the cold, blustery, British countryside, or on the rare occasion sunny perfect day in the woods.

Don't forget to toast the C-Hound... Ahrrrooooo!!

Copyright © Cordhound 2012 all rights reserved.

Cordhound

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Here's a delicious one... I do half the quantities for it :)

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds ground beef
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups water (I also added 1 pouch of onion soup mix)
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 to 2 tablespoons salt
1 to 2 teaspoons pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Cook beef and onions over medium heat; drain.
Add tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper;
bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables and rice are tender.
Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened!

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
It would be good to do like a meal, as in main course, and pudding with stacked ovens or some such.

I'm just happy to get more time using the dutch ovens

thats my plan to have a go at roasting a chicken in the bottom oven with roast potatoes in the top oven.
John

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Some lovely recipe replies and thanks for taking the time to type them out :D

I'm certainly no expert in Dutch oven cooking and I'm looking forward to trying some of them :D

Enjoying the fact that between us all we might get some kind of workshop organised

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE