What is in your medical/first aid kit, show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Can I ask your current or previous experience of treating casualties or indeed patients? I can understand your statements and indeed the theories behind them but the topic did start in what forum members carried; I'm unaware it meant to chastise others for what they carry. MY med kit is what I carry for several vocations in a professional context; I carry some tampons for the inevitable under 18 who simply forgets to pack them in for expeditions, I carry a cat and several celllox dressings for use IF needed; I would have no issues in applying either to myself IF needed.
I appreciate your right to disagree but you do sound more hostile than that. As said, if you could enlighten me on the basis for your statements, it would be appreciated.

You are free to ask me whatever questions you want.

In this case though because i said (below) i don't think my previous experience matters.

I can understand that you wouldn't take the word of some stranger, that's why i suggested you get some proper professional training, failing that please try to at least have a talk with a paramedic, run your fantasy scenarios and treatments past them

My post was not meant to chastise but rather to give you food for thought i the hope it causes you to reconsider using both tampons or celox on another person.

I'm sorry if i came across unfriendly, that was not my intention.
The fact that you believe tampons would be useful as a dressing and celox would be useful in a civilian scenario really does bring into question if you have the qualifications and/or experience to be taking our groups.

There is not a single medical professional that would recommend using a tampon to dress a wound, so i do kinda think why would you even think about doing it.

If my kids went out in a group and the leader used either celox or a tampon on any of my kids there would be absolute hell to pay.
I'd be asking questions like where did they get their training, why didn't they have the correct dressings with them and why didn't they follow the correct procedure.

It's not just about saving lives, a majority of injuries in the wild are small injuries, these injuries will quickly turn into infections if not treated right.
So by using products like tampons or celox to treat them you are actually causing more damage than if you'd have simply cleaned them well and used the correct dressing.

It's not like you'll be making do either as these "bodges" are taking up space and weight that could be better used carrying the right equipment in the first place.

I think where i came off as unfriendly was probably the point about woman finding that a man who feels the need to carry tampons to make up for their forgetfulness is both sexist and insulting.
This was a comment made by the female contingent of the house, hopefully a couple of other women can chime in, as a bloke it's not really my place to say.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
In this thread there have been several professional medical types chipping in and all have said a big no to the tampon as a medical aid, the thread was originally started after we all had a good banter about people using sanitary towels as bandages, eye patches, hammocks, slingshot pouches etc and it made me wonder what other things people may carry for medical purposes, for entertainments sake i was not disappointed and also grabbed a few good extras to add to my meagre kit

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
You are free to ask me whatever questions you want.

In this case though because i said (below) i don't think my previous experience matters.

My post was not meant to chastise but rather to give you food for thought i the hope it causes you to reconsider using both tampons or celox on another person.

I'm sorry if i came across unfriendly, that was not my intention.
The fact that you believe tampons would be useful as a dressing and celox would be useful in a civilian scenario really does bring into question if you have the qualifications and/or experience to be taking our groups.

There is not a single medical professional that would recommend using a tampon to dress a wound, so i do kinda think why would you even think about doing it.

If my kids went out in a group and the leader used either celox or a tampon on any of my kids there would be absolute hell to pay.
I'd be asking questions like where did they get their training, why didn't they have the correct dressings with them and why didn't they follow the correct procedure.

It's not just about saving lives, a majority of injuries in the wild are small injuries, these injuries will quickly turn into infections if not treated right.
So by using products like tampons or celox to treat them you are actually causing more damage than if you'd have simply cleaned them well and used the correct dressing.

It's not like you'll be making do either as these "bodges" are taking up space and weight that could be better used carrying the right equipment in the first place.

I think where i came off as unfriendly was probably the point about woman finding that a man who feels the need to carry tampons to make up for their forgetfulness is both sexist and insulting.
This was a comment made by the female contingent of the house, hopefully a couple of other women can chime in, as a bloke it's not really my place to say.

Well; for the record I'll continue to carry what I have been trained to use until the day I am questioned in court why. As a trained emergency services professional I do know the limitations of training on the job and the remit of these limitations on liability. Did you know a lot of lessons and equipment from Afghan has filtered into trauma care and pain relief in the UK?
I understand your recent points about what you believe I should do and definitely not do but I'm not sure if you see the implications especially within remote medical care and limited medical equipment on scene. I'm pretty sure if heaven forbid you were involved in a medical emergency, you would want everything done that could be done for you to continue breathing and living. The points you have made are somewhat valid but for me and my range of paid employments, it's not. Carrying kit doesn't mean you've got to use it; your example of a small injury in the field agreeably will not need celox, who would? But if it's catastrophic trauma that's slightly different. Yes, it's at risk of infection but that's not really the pressing concern, a concern that can be managed outside of the emergency. In the bushcraft reality, you would probably walk back to the car and go to A & E for treatment. In a remote location it's a touch different.

Let's just agree to disagree and hope we don't bump into each other where one of us needs medical treatment.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Well; for the record I'll continue to carry what I have been trained to use until the day I am questioned in court why. As a trained emergency services professional I do know the limitations of training on the job and the remit of these limitations on liability. Did you know a lot of lessons and equipment from Afghan has filtered into trauma care and pain relief in the UK?
I understand your recent points about what you believe I should do and definitely not do but I'm not sure if you see the implications especially within remote medical care and limited medical equipment on scene. I'm pretty sure if heaven forbid you were involved in a medical emergency, you would want everything done that could be done for you to continue breathing and living. The points you have made are somewhat valid but for me and my range of paid employments, it's not. Carrying kit doesn't mean you've got to use it; your example of a small injury in the field agreeably will not need celox, who would? But if it's catastrophic trauma that's slightly different. Yes, it's at risk of infection but that's not really the pressing concern, a concern that can be managed outside of the emergency. In the bushcraft reality, you would probably walk back to the car and go to A & E for treatment. In a remote location it's a touch different.

Let's just agree to disagree and hope we don't bump into each other where one of us needs medical treatment.

Well thought out, measured and articulate post.

goodjob

I have reread through my posts and they did come off more confrontational than i intended, sorry about that.

I do still stand by my opinion that pressure and elevation is a far far far better solution than either a tampon or celox.
To be honest i've yet to meet a combat medic that carries a tampon, discovery of a tampon in a combat medics kit would get them a right royal telling off.
So even in combat zones a tampon is useless compared to having the correct dressing.

As i said earlier a combat medic has different priorities in treating a casualty than a civilian medic, if paramedics started using combat medic treatments and procedures folks would be dropping like rocks.

In combat medics have to stabilise the casualty, often move them to a safe (or slightly safer) area, they will mostly be under fire so not only have to worry about the casualty but also being able to defend their position as well if need be.

In civilian life medics have the luxury of not being under fire, they will very rarely move a casualty unless stabilised and they don't have to defend their position, they have 1 job to do and that's to save and stabilise the casualty.

If you are in a group and someone has a cut that causes major bleeding then pressure and elevation are a far better solution than either a tampon or celox.
You don't have to worry about moving the casualty, you are not under fire and apart from sending someone off to call the emergency services your main job right then is to keep applying pressure.

The reason i called it a fantasy is that i don't see a realistic civilian scenario where either a tampon or celox would be a better solution that pressure, elevation and a proper wound dressing.
I've had and tended to pretty dramatic blood loss, a few of those time i was without proper dressing, i improvised with some clothing, not ideal but a LOT less messy that digging out disintegrating tampons from a wound and a LOT easier to clean up than celox type treatments once at hospital.

That's really the thing, a injury has to be thought of in it's entirety, pouring celox onto a wound may help stop the bleeding when the casualty is in your care, but what about 1 hour later at the hospital, a nurse or doctor has to clean that stuff from the wound, which is going to be painful and reopen the wound again.
Likewise with cleaning out disintegrated tampons.

In both cases a proper sterilised dressing would have saved that hassle and pain, even if you used a teeshirt it would do as good a job (if not better in the case of a tampon) PLUS it'd be a million times easier to clean the wound later in the treatment.

As i say, please don't take my word for it, i'm just some bloke in the internet.
If you are taking groups out then you owe it to the folks in your care to speak to health professionals about what they see is the best treatment.
It's only with speaking to the guys and gals that you hand the casualty off to that you'll really know the best procedure and treatments.

Personally i've been down the same road, i was derided and made fun of when i suggested tampon for a gun shot wound and celox for wound treatment.
After they'd all had a good laugh they put across the points i've made on why it's a bad idea.
We all need to go our own path though, i only ask that you revisit your choices and speak to the folks you're likely going to be handing off a casualty to.

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
When I say Celox, I mean a celox dressing not celox granules. When I've mentioned tampons I've meant them for female use primarily.
Celox dressings and tourniquets ARE being seriously considered for wide scale use within the arboriculture industry for chainsaw injury.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
When I say Celox, I mean a celox dressing not celox granules. When I've mentioned tampons I've meant them for female use primarily.
Celox dressings and tourniquets ARE being seriously considered for wide scale use within the arboriculture industry for chainsaw injury.

I think it's difficult to quantify or prove something is being considered by a industry as a whole, even then my main source would be the people that treat chainsaw injuries rather than lumberjacks.

Plus the problem there is you will not be treating chainsaw wounds when you are out with your groups.
Chainsaw wounds are open, messy, horrific injuries, you will be dealing with missing limbs or limbs hanging by a thread.

I can't think of a scenario where a similar injury would occur while taking a group out hiking.

It's like i was saying before, to me it's akin to creating some sort of fantasy scenario or injury to justify kit choices.
If that's what folks enjoy then good on em, i do think that if that person is taking groups out though, they have a responsibility of care to ensure they are trained, experienced and have foothold on reality about the injuries they are likely to experience and treat.

In my experience the most common injuries i've seen while out hiking, camping are:
Sprained, broken ankle
Knee injuries
Burns (fire, stoves, hot pots etc)
Cuts (knifes and the like)
Concussion (falling over)
Broken wrist, fingers/thumbs, arm, collar bone (mainly mountain biking)
Heart attack
Asthma attack

These are the injuries i've either sustained personally or i've treated while being out.
I know Julia has done a survey on the most common injuries, be interesting to see how many of those would require celox or a tampon to treat.

With regards to carrying a tampon for female use, my Mrs said
"a man carrying a tampon on the off chance a woman might need it some time in the future is chauvinistic, arrogant, insulting and more than a little creepy"

Be good to hear what our female membership think.
Should us blokes start carrying tampons in case we come across a damsel in distress needing one?
How would we know they need one, would they just come up and ask?
Or should we start asking females we come across on the trail if they "need anything"? *wink, wink*

Maybe we could come up with some sort of signal of flag that women could pop up on the back of their rucksack?

:lmao:

*sorry couldn't resist, no nastiness meant with my sarcasm, i hope you can see the funny side.

In all seriousness though, in your experience how does it come up in conversation, have women come up and asked you if you had a tampon, or did you tell them at the start of the trip "i have a tampon if you need it"?

Again i'm not being factious, i'm genuinely curious.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
No I don't think there will be many chainsaw incidents on expedition work. I did say I carry the same group med kit regardless. I don't swap kit out activity dependant because thats me. The fact the girl on question was a bit withdrawn and finally opened up to the female ML alongside me who now carries spares for students as well.

I'm getting quite bored of this now mate. A colleague of mine read this topic earlier and commented 'you're having a disagreeable discussion with someone out there not stating the extent of their knowledge. About a subject you do pretty much as a day job?' He then laughed at me for taking it personal above my own recognised certification and experience! So in answer to the original question, carry a hse approved first aid kit and a phone for a triple 9 call, take a FAW course and hope you don't need it!!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
No I don't think there will be many chainsaw incidents on expedition work. I did say I carry the same group med kit regardless. I don't swap kit out activity dependant because thats me. The fact the girl on question was a bit withdrawn and finally opened up to the female ML alongside me who now carries spares for students as well.

I'm getting quite bored of this now mate. A colleague of mine read this topic earlier and commented 'you're having a disagreeable discussion with someone out there not stating the extent of their knowledge. About a subject you do pretty much as a day job?' He then laughed at me for taking it personal above my own recognised certification and experience! So in answer to the original question, carry a hse approved first aid kit and a phone for a triple 9 call, take a FAW course and hope you don't need it!!

Fair enough.

In my defence i have never put my self forward as an expert so my experience isn't really relevant, my only wish is that you would see a civilian nurse, doctor or paramedic before using the bits in question.

Doing something for a living does not mean we have to stop learning, opinions change, medical knowledge advances and technology moves on, CPR is a prime example as the recommendations on carrying out CPR if you are on your own are different now than they were 5 years ago.

In my opinion you have a duty of care to the people you take out, so spending a few mins making an appointment at the local hospital to discus how and where and if you would use celox and tampons and how the paramedic, nurse or doctor would view that treatment is time well spent.

We must be driving the rest of the forum crazy so if you agree i think we should leave it at that.

One other thing, have you registered for the emergency SMS services?
http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

Well worth doing if you are taking groups out.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
All received mate; I'll double check again when on shift down the ambulance station tomorrow and I'll ask the relevant questions when I re validate my rescue medic, cas carer and wemt quals for other work I do in REMOTE areas where the 'golden hour' is not really applicable. I have already registered for the emergency SMS service thank you.

Message ends!

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
All received mate; I'll double check again when on shift down the ambulance station tomorrow and I'll ask the relevant questions when I re validate my rescue medic, cas carer and wemt quals for other work I do in REMOTE areas where the 'golden hour' is not really applicable. I have already registered for the emergency SMS service thank you.

Message ends!

and that's you told ! lol

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
They went through each other like a vindaloo does a nun

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Pmsl; GGTBod - do the posts answer your query?!! Really sorry for hijacking bud, the phrase dog with a bone springs to mind.
Clawing back to the start, have you thought about what you've used in the past and why? I stopped carrying topical antihistamine for a while but with the current weather bringing out the bugs more so, and the nature of bushcraft, it's relevant?!
Northumbrian, I'm glad you also see the funny side!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I added butterfly stitches and a topical antiseptic cream to my kit, more importantly I stopped stressing about loads of things i thought i might need but do not have any training with and have been amused by some of the madder Rambo-esque medical planning for possible misadventure that i too nearly got carried away with, all in a worthy thread that i never expected any of this from

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
True enough, you can only carry so much. If you only travel to locations close to a road then a basic off the shelf kit is probably enough alongside a reliable signal on the phone

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
janso, for what it's worth (I'm currently serving as a medic in the UK armed forces) I think you are bang on regarding the chainsaw injuries, as you would be.

I don't think that fella knows what Celox is, like you I have used the Celox gauze and it is life-saving kit.

No doubt someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong as well, like what would I know?! :)

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom
"As a trained emergency services professional".
Which emergency service is that?
"Did you know a lot of lessons and equipment from Afghan has filtered into trauma care and pain relief in the UK?"
Yea, I do know that and none of those lessons has included the use of a tampon.

I appreciate your primary use for the lady towel is for the ladies, but id I was with a group and a lady had been so unprepared that she didn't have towels, I think it would be time for he to go home. If anyone can show me a study done in the use of these devices for wound management I'd be glad to read it. I know a military personnel who are medical consultants down to Paras on the front line and none of them use these things to deal with wounds.

Having read a lot of posts on this forum there appears to be a few people claiming to be something that they are not. This is not a willy waving competition but a place to learn and share real experiences.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE