Pet Hates In Fiction.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Exactly! No one would ever do that, and therefore would know that the nail tumbles. :cool:

Nutter.

Unless that person used some copper pipe that was lying around as a rudimentary barrel which just might give it a slightly better reach... Oh no no-one would do that...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Creaking bows in many films.

Lord of the Rings is fine because he chose to write it that way. Scouring of the Shire meant something to Tolkien as that was what happened to the idyllic and idealised countryside of his youth.

Frodo is the descendant of many swooning heroes in the literature of Tolkien's youth some from Scott and some from Henty or even Marryat.

Biker

Remakes. I watched the new Robocop film online a couple of weeks ago. Not a patch on the first.

What is this fascination to redo somehting that was pretty bloody brilliant the first time around. I hear they're even toying with the idea of redoing Predator. Now I can understand this need if the first film was either a very low budget lead balloon, but had a great story.

It chaps me off that Hollywood redo something that was a blockbuster the first time in the hope of making a huge profit. And I secretly snigger when it bombs.

Remakes. <snip> What is this fascination to redo somehting that was pretty bloody brilliant the first time around.

Oh how I agree. It's just lazy, IMO. OK, Pride and Prejudice is something of a girly film, but 4 films, at least 6 TV adaptations is just too much. I believe there's even another remake in progress!

Then there's all those "The Making Of..." programmes. Maybe they'll do a 'making of the making of' programme next.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
When the person has their bow half drawn with an arrow on the string with one finger,holding it and then is able to shoot not "fire"the arrow 350 yards.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Books where the characters never need food or to take a crap. Books where they walk through wilderness for weeks without starving (hey at least that is one thing Tolkein got right).

Archery where a character can 'shoot through a crow's eye at 200yards'.
Archery where a character picks up a random arrow (dropped or stuck in someone else) and shoots it perfectly.
Someone is shot with an arrow from a warbow and the arrow sticks part-way through them, or penetrates 4".

Any book or film where the hero runs into a group of armed soldiers and kung-fu's them to unconsciousness without taking a wound.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Remakes. I watched the new Robocop film online a couple of weeks ago. Not a patch on the first.

What is this fascination to redo somehting that was pretty bloody brilliant the first time around.

The Italian Job, perfect the first time round, second was a joke.

The Thomas Crown Affair, Steve McQueen in the first one, that slimy gimp (Pierce Brosnan) in the remake.

Rollerball, first one pretty good despite a few shonky special effects, decent plot. Second one... Oh well nevermind.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm getting a bit fed up with Dr Who's sonic screwdriver, too much of a cure all device for my liking.

Mind you, I DO like his assistant!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Why wouldn't they be able to make a decent shot with a random arrow?

I cant make a decent shot with a properly spined arrow :) Saying that anything under 10 yards or so it wouldnt make much difference even if it had no fletch.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bad analogies:

a_802_20140825104121.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE