Pet Hates In Fiction.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Authors that refuse to do a decent follow up. Come on Harper Lee, give us "To Kill a Mockingbird 2". Or perhaps "Revenge of the Mockingbird".

That's one of my pet hates too. But on the other hand sometimes the follow ups can be pretty dire. I recently read the omnibus edition of Joe Haldeman's Forever War. The omnibus edition had two other books which were sequels. They were utter shyte in my opinion. Had nothing of the magic the first.

Frank Herbert's Dune is another. I felt he poured his entire heart and soul into that book and after it was a mahoosive hit the publisher said "Write a sequel, we'll be rich!" so he did with Children of Dune. I got 70 pages into and bogged down.

In films what chaps me off is how the laws of physics takes a back seat to "good" action. I watched Day after Tomorrow Sunday night. Dennis Quaid had just fallen down a gaping crevice in the ice, but managed to whip out his ice axe and swing it into the ice wall and hang on all within 2 feet below the rim. Then his mates were able to pull him out without much of a struggle, despite them all wearing mittens.

And another thing. Those who go through a major shoot out and dead bad guys are piled chest high, how come the hero is never taken into questioning by the plod after the bloodbath to give their statements?

Why to do the computer geeks look like stereotypical geeks... unless you're the handsome hero who besides being able to jump out of a burning aircraft and survive the landing in a carpark puddle also knows how to hack the mainframe of the Pentagon.

:soapbox:

Rant over (for tonight)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have to confess to being one of those people you really do not want to be going to the pictures with, in that I pick fault with techical and historical innacuracies notwithstanding continuity errors. Braveheart was one of the most annoying, Wallace was not a "scot" and he never wore a kilt.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
U571

This 2000 film about a US submarine crew's attempt to steal an Enigma machine from a German U-boat was so inaccurate that it was damned by the UK parliament as an affront to the real sailors. And to make matters worse, it stars Jon Bon Jovi

The film seems to be based on the real story of Operation Primrose. On 8 May 1941, German submarine U-110 attacked an allied convoy that included the British ship HMS Bulldog. Damaged by depth charges, U-110 surfaced and was boarded by the Bulldog's crew, who collected all the papers they could find (no one spoke German, so they couldn't be selective), and an Enigma machine. Bletchley Park already had several Enigmas at this point. Bulldog's triumph was recovering the codebooks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think it's laziness when writing that gets me. Recently watched the revamped original "Star Trek" series and it showed a common fault in sci-fi with the "pleasure planet" principle. It's amazing in science fiction just how many whole planets or races are given over to a single purpose giving no thought to changing economies and tastes possibly putting whole populations out of a way to earn a living. That and the last minute "do-da" that is produced from know-where to save the day with out any build up.

Actually there are a lot of things that get to me but how about I limit them to two a day?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I hate it when the hero arms himself with a stick, clubs his armed guard over the nut, then runs off leaving the armed guard's weaponry laying there.

And when someone blazes away with a machine gun, the good guy doesn't get a scratch, returns fire with a dinky little pop gun with sniper-like accuracy! Grr!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
One just popped into my head from a long time ago. I was watching star trek and they were in a holo suite with a log fire burning, captain said 'freeze' [to the holo suite program presumably] upon which all characters stood stock still - yet the fire kept burning and the flames kept licking...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The number of bullets fired at James Bond without ever hitting him.

Some dialogue you will never hear:
"There's a new James Bond film out! It's great!"
"Does he survive?"

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
watching 24 the other day and Bower and his sidekick were being shot at by all sorts of assault rifles etc, they were returning fire with their pistols and managed to win, they were also hiding behind car doors (those well known bullet stoppers). Ridiculous.
However not as bad as cliff-hanger - the whole thing is just full of @@@@ and probably needs its own thread, but honourable mention has to go to the bolt gun!!!!

Biker

Bolt gun! That reminds me - I watched one of the Lethal Weapon films and Danny Glover picked up an electric nail gun and proceeded to fire nails into a would be assassin as it it were pistol. Having used such a tool and knowing it ain't like that I sat there seething at this lazy way the writer used to dispatch the baddie.

Another thing in films, is how easy the hero can rip out an electrical wire from a fuseboard board or junction box and wires just pull out as easily as you like and ready to be used against the attacker.

Another one. The characters holding a conversation whilst in the back of a helicopter with the side doors open and no one's saying "What? I can't hear you over the noise of the bloody great fan spinning above us."

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bolt gun! That reminds me - I watched one of the Lethal Weapon films and Danny Glover picked up an electric nail gun and proceeded to fire nails into a would be assassin as it it were pistol. Having used such a tool and knowing it ain't like that I sat there seething at this lazy way the writer used to dispatch the baddie.

Nobody I know would ever consider pulling back the safety interlock on the front spikes with the claws os his hammer to fire 90mm Paslode nails at a sheet of ply across a garden. No siree, nobody I know would know that after a few yards the nails tumble in flight.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
there's a movie in which Schwarzenegger A. rides a Porche which is badly damaged, just to take off in the next frame with a brand new one. I want that one!

A bit like the Bond car blloper in Dimaonds are forever :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;Iuh2L-_yf3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuh2L-_yf3M[/video]

Biker

Nobody I know would ever consider pulling back the safety interlock on the front spikes with the claws os his hammer to fire 90mm Paslode nails at a sheet of ply across a garden. No siree, nobody I know would know that after a few yards the nails tumble in flight.

Exactly! No one would ever do that, and therefore would know that the nail tumbles. :cool:

Nutter.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My pet hates in fiction are the majority of the descriptions I read on an internet auction site near you......................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE