Food for a week in a PLCE Side Pocket - Paul Kirtley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
IIRC you could put PB in empty Capri Sun sachets (cut down to your required size) and sealed with an iron. If you use Capri Sun there's no cost involved. (I am not affiliated with said beverage :)

And squeeze packs of PB at Waitrose,

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=306892

Its expensive for PB but I buy the Whole Earth stuff anyway when I can because its so nice (and less sugar).

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
That works out at over £5 for a jars worth of PB buying those little packets (340g jar is £1.50 for sunpat at iceland)

i have never found a regular jar of PB a difficult thing to have in my food pack, sunpat is even in aplacky jar now so it's light too, it's around a weeks supply and i am usually away for around a week so it works out nicely for me, the little single serving packets of ketchup/brown sauce/vinegar/mustard/mint sauce/salt are very handy as i don't find i need a full bottle of each they work out well for the variety and space they don't take up

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Yep, the Whole Earth stuff is £2 for a jar. I don't buy sachets of anything, I just fill up smaller containers/bags from big jars.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I don't buy the sachets either but i do frequent the odd cafe for a nice cuppa n a bacon butty now and then ........ Marge Simpson style

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Great video!! So good I have watched twice now!! And Paul was good enough to answer my questions!! I think the idea of taking the packets of powder to make the sauces is a great idea!! I can't believe I had never thought of it! Can't stand the pasta and sauce packets but I love pasta so this is a great way to have some tasty pasta!! The only thing I would like to no in addition is how much all that lot cost, would be interesting to see the difference between that and freeze dried foods, obviously the freeze dried would be more expensive, but if there is only a fiver in it, the lighter weight of the freeze dried and also the convenience could make that fiver good value!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
Soylent Green is the future.

Agreed, but the production standards concerning 'foods' like that need to be completely rewritten asap. Because it's classed as a supplement there are no standards to adhere to, and as such it's currently produced in a rat infested warehouse.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
^^ I meant the film one, but I understand the inventor of the new stuff did not watch the film before naming his product IIRC. A little unfortunate in the circumstances.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Got to admit paul, dried stuff, you can survive off it, but I do not find you get the calories from dried pasta that you do from fresh, the same goes for mash or any dried stuff. Dunno what the answer is other than to take stuff with a lot of water in it, so no help there. One thing I found quite good and long lasting is pitta breads in a sealed pack, quite dense bread, but still some water though. You could try getting more energy from other sources than dried carbs.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Perhaps you could explain to us how the removal of water from cooked potato reduces the calorie content. I seem to recall reading that water contains zero calories.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah i don't get that one either, i virtually live on dried carbs, like brown rice, wholemeal pasta, couscous and quinoa, porridge oats and breakfast cereals like muesli, infact i am struggling to think of a 'wet carb' that i even eat that i haven't rehydrated other than unleavened breads like pita and naan, hungry now ;)

Last edited:

Sailing_Swagman

Aug 27, 2014
Colchester, Essex
A great video! Thanks for the link!

It addition to some of the other users of small snacks I have always found Peperami to be a nice small/light camping and fishing snack that takes up very little space. They also sell small single portion ones in a multipack at me local supermarket. It does not have to be kept chilled but that is the serving suggestion - never bothered me.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
They did a pretty extensive study on caloric intake on thru hikers on the AT and the PCT, and found that, on average, the hikers are burning between 5 & 6500 calories a day-some up to 10,000. There's simply no way to pack that much food for a week burning that kind of calories. And, many, on their town days, will consume as many calories as possible. Of course, this is a very specific study group-as most people do not hike for weeks or months at a time. But, it does show that extended hiking over rough terrain over an extended period of time can, and does, cause a calorie deficiency-one that you cannot cover, due to it being impractical to carry a 5k calorie daily meal plan, for 5, 6, or even 7 days.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Old soldier raises interesting ideas about feeding staregies on long hikes. AT thru hikes typically take 150-210 days and most hikers finish significantly lighter than when they started. As indicated, weekly "town days" feature massive over indulgence in what would usually be regarded as very unsuitable nutrition -there is an infamous diner in Maine, just off the trail, which features 1 pound burgers on "buns" which are 1 foot across. For shorter hikese.g. TGO coast to coast which is less than a week, hikers can lose body fat with no danger. BMI recommendations (for males) 5'9" are 125 to 168 lbs (9 to 13 stones). These are healthy "normal" weights. So if your are a 5'9" healthy 168 lbs, you can lose 23 lbs and still be in your healthy weight range. While there will be some variation from one person to another, a pound of body fat lost is roughly equivalent to 3,500 calories, so 2 pounds lost would be 7000 calories, at the high end of daily hike use. In theory then, one could do the TGO c2c with no food as you would lose a maximum of 14 pounds in the week taken. Most of uswillbe closer to the BMI of 24.5 (max healthy weight) or above and can easily lose the weight with no danger. The only ones with a problem willbe super fit ridge runners with a starting BMI of 18.5 who cannot afford to lose any weight,and wil lneed to consume a kilo plus of peanut butter a day to get up to an intake of 7k cals per day-

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....there is an infamous diner in Maine, just off the trail, which features 1 pound burgers on "buns" which are 1 foot across.....

That seems lie way too much bun for just 1 pound of hamburger. The Hardees' $6 Thickburger is a half pound and fits nicely on an ordinary sesame seed bun. Doubling the meat shouldn't take a foot of bun.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ilXHL_b-f...rls+Jr.+Guacamole+Bacon+Six+Dollar+Burger.jpg

And here's the nutrition info on that burger: nutritiondata.self.com/facts/foods-from-hardees/8673/2 As you guessed, it ain't good. But Damn! They taste good!

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Just checked, it was a 1 lb burger, it's the pizza which is actually 14" across. It's not really a diner, but a camp with cabins and a bunk house. called the white House Landing. Closed now and offered for sale @ 600,000.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE