A bit of an update

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I posted on here, but if anyone cares, I'm still not dead! I've been taking alot of time on honing my skills recently, and gaining some new ones at the same time.

I've started getting quite heavily into wild food and fungi recently, and I'm really pleased at the sense of comfort it's giving me outdoors. I find myself really looking out into the woods and fields I'm travelling in and actively using my eyes, rather than day dreaming on the trail. It is difficult, and with fungi in particular I haven't yet eaten any I have identified, for the sake of safety regarding my amateur experience. That hasn't stopped me learning to pick out the coloured nubs of caps between the humus and detritus of the forest floor. A really enlightening hobby for anyone, even if just to realise how deep the natural world's dependence on fungi goes.

My reading has expanded very largely, especially in relation to literature relating to colder climes. I find it to be rather comforting to know that everyone started off in a position of student, and I find it humbling to read that most of those people writing consider themselves to still be so.

My kit has finally begun to descend in the numbers on the scales, with me working out more and more what can be left behind in favour of something easily fashioned outdoors. To anyone starting, I would say that you would be better filling your mind earlier on rather than filling your bag. It'll save your back in the long run. I can still remember being proud I'd gotten my kit down to 23kg!

Most importantly, I've made many fires. I've sat in front of them and tended to tiny blazes that eek out an existence against my inability to give them a hot, airy, fueled home to live and thrive in. I've really come to nurture each fire I make, and make sure both them and I leave an area without a trace, something I feel I owe nature for not having murdered me on this particular trip :p Since that struggling fire Wayland helped me light that day with scraped birch bark, I've started watching people more, observing their own personal relationships with the fire. I've been in more than a few dark, dank, creepy forests now to appreciate the almost palpable difference a warm glow makes.

A bit rambley, but I was feeling like waxing lyrical, and have had a good weekend. I see no harm in describing how happy this type of learning makes me :)

Cheers guys

eddieb

Jan 17, 2014
Essex
This is a good post it in a way made me happy I feel they same way as you do with things. I've never taken into account my "relationship" with fire and I feeling I need to go out on my own very soon and discover some thoughts with my self.
I am also trying to learn more on foraging and identification due to wanting to making myself feel more confident in general and to making my kit weight less and less, I'm not sure how much it weights unfortunately I'll find out later. But this makes me happy someone else is doing what I'm doing :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great post there Sir and in no way too rambling. I liked the way you put your thoughts and feeling across in a way that drew me in. I enjoy posts that I can get my teeth into and enjoy, didn't need pictures at all as everything formed in my head as I read.

Hope to see more like it.

Cheers for taking the time to post it up,
GB.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Phaestos,

I am just new here and only starting to look at the various topics and threads on the site, I am glad that I chanced upon your post, inspiring and informative, I enjoyed reading your post; well done, and many future achievements to you.

Regards,

rorymax

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
"learn by living" - Dave Canterbury.

I feel where your coming from. If only we could translate and share that experience more easily with other people.

I never understood why people obsess over the tools of bushcraft like knives, backpacks and clothing at the detriment of learning actual skills.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great post. Thats the thing about accumulating knowledge in great places like this,, you have to go try it all out and see what works for you. not others.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE