Eclipse, made in England

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Anyone know of this make? I bought a knife at a boot sale at the weekend.

The handle was a mess (the end of it was broken off). Underneath where the scales would go, it had the name stamped.

I paid the outrageous sum of £1, so doesn;t really matter if it's junk, but was wondering if anyone know of them?

Thanks

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Eclipse were famous for engineering tools such as hacksaw blades, magnets and scribers etc

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Old Sheffield tool and knife maker, made all sorts of stuff like hacksaws, putty knives, shoe knives and loads more; when I was learning the tools they were a respected maker for work-a-day tools that'd last and were plenty good enough for tradesmen. If it's old-ish it'll be decent steel and worth fettling. I don't know if they're still trading but it'd only be a badged item now I suspect. :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That doesn't mean it's no good, could easily be new old stock, eh? I'd fettle it and see what it's like if it was mine :)

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Maybe. I'm gluing some scales on it at the moment. Goodness knows what I'll use it for, it's enormous.

Perhaps I shall start baking giant loaves of bread. Or hunting dinosaurs.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England

Glued some scales on, just need to oil them now.

Any ideas what this was originally intended for? Butchers? The blade is over a foot long (!), and the guard/ferrule is pretty hefty.

Cheers

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Any ideas what this was originally intended for? Butchers? The blade is over a foot long (!), and the guard/ferrule is pretty hefty.

In a word, no. I've seen blades of similar size and shape used in the rag trade to cut rolls of fabric, but the guard on yours would get in the way for that sort of use.

Does the blade look like it was originally made as a knife? I'm wondering if someone has turned what was originally a saw blade into a knife. I wouldn't have expected any manufacturer to stamp his/its name under the scales.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Interesting idea. Tho I'll say if someone's "re-purposed" another tool, they've done an incredibly neat job of it.

There's some flex in the blade, but not as much as a saw. Agree the stamping of the name is in a very curious place.

Thanks all, was just mildly curious. Perhaps I'll buy a kebab machine, and use it to carve the elephant leg.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE