Help - Bag gone wrong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Hi Guys,

Hope there's someone here who can help.

I recently made a bag.
I do quite a lot of traveling for work and needed a decent stand up to the test of time leather bag which I can dump all my stuff in, chuck in the back of the car and check in at the airport whatever without worrying about terrible bits of plastic breaking etc.

I quite like the look of the Saddleback Side Duffel and have one of the smallest sizes from them which is fine for carry on luggage, however not good for a weeks trip away and there are a few other issues with it too.

I set about making a similar bag with my limited skills and using a slightly thinner leather to keep the weight down.

For the first time it got used, last weekend, on a pretty rugged 3 day trip away and it withstood a lot of abuse however it's highlighted quite a few issues. First of all the straps I've used are far too thin and not strong enough to do the job so they will be getting changed out.

However the main problem
I have is the top panel where the handle is attached. When you pick the bag up all it does is distort the top panel and stretch it upwards until the weight of the bag is hanging on it. This leaves it looking very unstable and is terrible aesthetically.
I have a bit of aluminium running across the width of the bag to help the handle support it but the rest of the top just flops about and it's unwieldy to carry.

What is the best way to stiffen up the top panel of a bag to stop it from bowing and looking ugly?

Thanks in advance.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'd probably consider attaching handles to the sides, like a holdall or a music case, rather than try to get the thin leather to do something it will never want to do.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It strikes me that you've just found out why large leather bags are either built on a frame or else use thick leather that provides the stiffness required for structure integrity. You really have to consider light leathers in the same way as you would fabric, i.e. flexible and not able to support much without re-enforcement.

As to whether there's a remedy for the bag you've made, it's impossible to say without seeing it; post some pics. and dimensions, perhaps? I really hope you find a solution for this, and there are some very inventive people on the forum so you never know, eh? :)

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Macaroon,

I think you may very well be right. No doubt there's a valid reason I could never find a bag that I was after and I've just found it.

It's annoying because, apart from the straps being too thin and the wobbly top, I rather like it. OK it doesn't look as good as a commercial model but I rather liked it and the size fit my needs perfectly.

b1.jpg
b3.jpg
b2.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that's a fine looking bag, and well worth saving. Having seen the pictures, and if I were in your position, I think I'd glue something stiff and lightweight to the underside of the lid; that way it couldn't pull up as it does
and would transfer that load to the bag itself. I'm thinking of something like the stuff they make plastic (polyethylene?) chopping boards from; very strong but negligible weight, and easy to cut to shape and glue to the underside........................I'll rack my brains some more, but I think I'd try something along those lines :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE