This is just disgusting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I've been there a few times in recent years and witnessed similar sights - I was completely gobsmacked by the state of the place. The missus and I litter picked and carried out 2 bin bags of rubbish but that's all the bags we had in the car. We hardly made any impact on the piles of rubbish left lying around. There needs to be some serious policing here, which kind of defeats the point of our wild places.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a UK wide problem; people litter.
Where there are a lot of people then something needs to be done about a litter collection.

It's all very well us being enraged, and we are; that filth is disgusting; but the people who dump their rubbish like that should be prosecuted for the expense that it causes to clear it up. At the end of the day someone does have to clear it up and that costs wages, etc.,
Anywhere in the UK where there is an influx of people, then there will be a concommitant increase in litter (and in cases like this, probably excrement as well :sigh:) it's a national disgrace. It doesn't happen elsewhere, why should we tolerate it here ?
The local authorities are pleased enough to welcome tourists who spend money in the area, but they don't do much about clearing up behind cretins like that or chasing them to recoup the costs.

I don't know the answer, I wish I did, all we can hope for is that education and perhaps financial penalties (after all if the parking wardens can levy fines, why can't ranger services ? these folks come by car and van, and those are registered) change behaviour patterns. Name and shame ? call them the filth that they are ?

The alternative is like Loch Lomond and the bans on camping from Spring to Autumn :(

Most of the folks we know who camp would rather not go than leave that mess behind, but it doesn't stop others :(
Look at the mess the folks near Appleby had to clear up; that was just as bad. There are some truly selfish and lazy people around.

M

paulh

Jun 25, 2014
Bristol
Thats not campers (no matter how loosley the term is used) they are enviromental vandals and should be treated as such.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've seen people do it... And intervened. The crazy thing is (if you watch someone) there isn't a shred of a guilty conscience. It's just second nature.

If caught they should spend all there free time clearing up others peoples mess.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I can't get my head around why people do this , dumping litter/fly tipping in general but what goes through their head to fomto a place of beauty and then destroy it by leaving their litter and fire scars there.

I took the dog to Leigh Woods in Bristol yesterdqy , beautiful woods with a hill fort, someone had tipped what looked like a whole tipper truck of rubbish in the wood.....words fail me!

Last edited:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Without sending Toddy into a spin - its the airgun issue all over again ;)

Current legislation exists to properly pursue and prosecute these people into compliance - but it is not exercised through a combination of budget/ resource and apathy.

Its always very dangerous to stereotype, but I suspect that these type of people are the ones loudest with the cry of 'Rights' on their lips and never 'Responsibility'.

Ultimately we all suffer - aside from the eyesore, what message is being sent to land owners. Is it any wonder they resist access. Whilst in many cases they do so out of selfish interest, such events as this merely provide a valid rationale and tip over the edge sympathetic ones.

Whilst I tread with extreme caution at pondering any American model ( ;) ) you start to see merit in some of their park regulations - very strict environmental rules for all, prohibition on some items, controlled access numbers - but with disposal facilities to help compliance; with manpower to enforce - all funded from minimal or zero access fee and very hefty compulsory fines for transgression.

paulh

Jun 25, 2014
Bristol
I can't get my head around why people do this , dumping litter/fly tipping in general but what goes through their head to fomto a place of beauty and then destroy it by leaving their litter and fire scars there.

I took the dog to Leigh Woods in Bristol yesterdqy , beautiful woods with a hill fort, someone had tipped what looked like a whole tipper truck of rubbish in the wood.....words fail me!

its a constant problem in Leigh woods, as with other places around the Bristol area. i will say though I have found a lovely wood close to Bristol where I spent a 3 nighter and saw 1 dog walker the whole 4 days I was there, there are still some little havens but I fear that its only a matter of time before these too will become tipping grounds as they are remote and easy pickings

Last edited:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I think it's indicative of 'easy access' area's like Glen Etive/ Glencoe/ Glen Nevis where such wild places are relatively simple to get to. It's simple to park up or bus in and walk off into the hills and feel 'wild' in a comparatively short distance.

You only have to look at the state of our towns and cities to see a lot of people have no respect for their environment so their behavior is unlikely to change because of a change of scenery.

"Someone else will clear this up, it's not my problem"
I ran and caught up with a couple of 'yoofs' the last time we were up there who had thrown plastic bottles and energy bar wrappers in front of us. When i caught with them and said "excuse me lad's but you dropped these" they were less than impressed with being challenged and told me so in no uncertain terms.
Now two wrongs don't make a right but when i informed them that they either put it in their rucks or they would be eating their rubbish as i didn't want to follow their trail of s**te they got the message. I'm sure as soon as we were out of sight they threw it away again but that stuff makes my blood boil. There's no need and if we don't look after the environment who will?
WE have to take responsibility for our actions, it's not someone else's problem.

I would like to applaud those on here who have taken the time to clear up others mess.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
You weren't by any chance the person I exchanged grumbles with, were you? I saw that yesterday too and a couple of us had a good old grumble. I'm female, short, fat, old and have long white hair.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire

It amazes me the lengths some people would go to to fly tip rather than dispose at a civic amenity site. I was waling in the Savernake forest a couple of months ago when several hundred yards up a track I noticed that someone had dumped a old-style heavywight desktop PC and monitor. The track was blocked for vehicular access and was probably impassable to most vehicles anyway, so they must have had to carry it for at least quarter of a mile to dump it and it must have weighed a ton by the looks of it as it was proper old-school kit! Crazy.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It amazes me the lengths some people would go to to fly tip rather than dispose at a civic amenity site. I was waling in the Savernake forest a couple of months ago when several hundred yards up a track I noticed that someone had dumped a old-style heavywight desktop PC and monitor. The track was blocked for vehicular access and was probably impassable to most vehicles anyway, so they must have had to carry it for at least quarter of a mile to dump it and it must have weighed a ton by the looks of it as it was proper old-school kit! Crazy.

The problem is, if you are in anyway commercial, you can't just take it to the local tip. Or if your vehicle is the wrong size or there is an R in the month...

In the past I pushed a sofa into the local tip, on foot. I pushed it in, and the guy there said "you can't leave that here, you didn't arrive by car" I said "I'm not taking it away, and walked as fast as I could". When the mentality is not to just accept it all into the tip in a sensible fashion, you get people who will drive round the corner to the nearest country lane, and just dump it.

Fly tipping is a major problem, but a lot of it could be simplified if the council changed it's attitude. Would be cheaper in the long run too.

Julia

paulh

Jun 25, 2014
Bristol
The problem is, if you are in anyway commercial, you can't just take it to the local tip. Or if your vehicle is the wrong size or there is an R in the month...

In the past I pushed a sofa into the local tip, on foot. I pushed it in, and the guy there said "you can't leave that here, you didn't arrive by car" I said "I'm not taking it away, and walked as fast as I could". When the mentality is not to just accept it all into the tip in a sensible fashion, you get people who will drive round the corner to the nearest country lane, and just dump it.

Fly tipping is a major problem, but a lot of it could be simplified if the council changed it's attitude. Would be cheaper in the long run too.

Julia

I agree, I have tried taking things to the council tip and its a long winded affair trying to get them to accept anything that cant be sold on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE