General questions from a first timer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 17, 2014
england
This is my first posting and mine and my fathers (Hammock_man) first time at BushMoot.

I have seen some information but still have a few questions about day to day life at the event. I understand that for some of you that a lot of the answers to theses questions will be absurdly common knowledge, but until you've been told for the first time that isn't the case.

Q1- I have read somewhere on related posts that wood is available at BushMoot
"if you need more wood, let us know"
Having done Gyn y Mul a few times i know that fire wood was available to buy. Is this the case at BushMoot?

Q2- I would like to attempt to build a tripod cooking stand, would it be practical to assume that i could source theses branches from in and around a typical Hammock pitch site?also, what are the guidelines/rules regarding cutting off branches from living trees? at Gyn y Mul this was a complete no, and that is a perfectly acceptable approach but is this the case here? Some sites even prohibit the collecting of fallen wood, it is understandable with a large group of people in a finite area that this would be the case.

Q3- I have seen some information regarding transport to the area, but was wondering if any one knew about local buses into Bridgend? i.e. to pick up fresh milk, but more importantly Cider for the naughty corner.

Q4- On the BushMoot site itself I saw about various workshops. Have any of these been confirmed as running yet? please bare in mind that I am not familiar with the ritual.

Thank you in advance, i'm sure this is going to be my highlight of the summer. and I can't wait to meet you all.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
1) there is usually plenty of wood available
2)
3) there are plenty of people who drive into town on a regular basis
4)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
1) As above
2) You should be fine taking the materials that you need for the tripod, the request from us is that you choose wisely to start with so that there's limited waste of the natural resources. It's about having a conscientious and considered approach, that way we carry on having the freedom of the site.
3)As Above
4) We generally don't publish a schedule of workshops because they can change, it's rare that we don't get to do one that we've said will take place but the actual time and day are hard to pin down till we have people on site, particularly the people running the workshops because they have the freedom to attend workshops themselves so we will reschedule to accommodate them whenever we can. We put the schedules up the night before ready for the next day, then people can see what's available and make choices.
We also introduce workshops that are requested at the morning meetings (we have a meeting each morning with everyone to cover the stuff for the day) so if anyone really wants to do something that's not listed we can often accommodate thanks to the generosity of those willing to share knowledge.
A good point for me to make is that people shouldn't come to the Moot for specific workshops, they may change day, not happen or clash with something else that they really want to attend, they should just come and then go with the flow, pick the ones they want etc, it's one of the things that makes the Moot easy going and relaxed while achieving so much.

If you've got any more questions ask away, I hope that we've helped :D

Jun 17, 2014
england
Thank you both, for taking the time to reply.

Consideration for the environment and minimising wasteful use of resources is a given. My Dad and i would almost exclusively use only fallen wood, which is our usual habit in any case. What one person can get away with using within 100 acres is completely different to what hundreds of people can sustainably use within 100 acres.

This is perfectly understandable, that workshops aren't a guarantee. at the end of the day someone is giving up there own time. I have later seen the thread about which workshops people would like to be run. i will pay attention to this go with the flow. Im sure i will find any of them interesting and even without the workshops i bound to learn so much.

Apologies for the late reply, and again thank you for all your help

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Phoenix, there are plenty of secondary growth saplings growing all over the place that would be bennificial to the standards (mature trees) to be removed. Most of these are between 2 and 4 inches at the butt, so are perfect for tripods, tarp poles and stuff like that.

As far as food runs are concerned, there's always folks having a run up to Tesco or LIDL at Bridgend - a 10 minute drive. Just bum a lift - it's not uncommon, and people are in the main very accommodating like that.

I'd also add, don't be scared to ask questions when you see something happening that interests you, even in people's camp areas. Most folks are more than happy to share their knowledge or show off the way they have set something up. Also remember - there are no stupid questions. We were all new to this game at one time.

Most of all, chill out and enjoy this unique experience.

See you down there.

Eric

Biker

As Eric said. NEVER be afraid to ask a question. This will be my 3rd year at the Moot and the first year I came I did umm and err whether I'd made the right choice. I enjoyed it so much it's now become my annual holiday and I roll back here to France so chilled out from the experience. It's just a shame it has to end after such a short time.

Looking forward to meeting up with you there.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im always doing lifts so ask me.

Theres loads of small sycamore saplings that can be removed.

Jun 17, 2014
england
The saplings sound perfect, will definitely have to take advantage of those, with respect towards sustainability though. I never been to a site where cutting live wood was allowed.

Everyone seems so accommodating already, so i'm sure that i will be able to find numerous of you lovely kind people of which to grab a lift off of at some point. My dad and i have Army Rations for food in the main but would like to do a couple days of 'real' cooking, as well as this i'm sure we will need re-supplies for the naughty corner.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
The saplings sound perfect, will definitely have to take advantage of those, with respect towards sustainability though. I never been to a site where cutting live wood was allowed.

They're like weeds on this site! It's more like forest management :)

Everyone seems so accommodating already, so i'm sure that i will be able to find numerous of you lovely kind people of which to grab a lift off of at some point. My dad and i have Army Rations for food in the main but would like to do a couple days of 'real' cooking, as well as this i'm sure we will need re-supplies for the naughty corner.

Daily I find :)

I'm bringing about 15G of beer now. Going to find out on Sat how good it tastes first though.

William K

Welcome Guys!

Last year was my first visit to the moot and I was nervous about what it was going to be like. It's really chilled out, you can feel free to engage with "living in the woods" for a fortnight in almost anyway you want. It can be busy and productive or totally sedate, you can be very social or chill out solo, learn and/or teach. Whatever you want to get out of the experience you will have a great time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE