Walking for weight loss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Bloody hell, Rebeldog, I'm soooo sorry this keeps happening to your thread. The fella gets it together to go out, get fit and looks to his favourite community to get behind him for a bit of moral support and all we can do is bicker back and forth between ourselves. Stick us a map up of your routes, take us some pics of the scenery you pass and lets get this quarrelling forgotton and concentrate more on the OP than slagging each others opinions down, the mods have better things to do than herd us cats all the time!

Thanks that was the plan before it went a bit awry.......

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm a Harborough lass myself, Mr Dawg.... have you walked the local resevoirs? Rutland and Pitsford are close, both pretty beaut although very busy in good weather :) Between me n Karl, we have pretty good coverage of the area on 1:25000 if you want a scour of local maps, although they're a bit highlighted where we've been looking for green lanes.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Bloody hell, Rebeldog, I'm soooo sorry this keeps happening to your thread. The fella gets it together to go out, get fit and looks to his favourite community to get behind him for a bit of moral support and all we can do is bicker back and forth between ourselves. Stick us a map up of your routes, take us some pics of the scenery you pass and lets get this quarrelling forgotton and concentrate more on the OP than slagging each others opinions down, the mods have better things to do than herd us cats all the time!

Gets a bit much doesn't it :(

Problem is what do you do, if someone is giving out bad or wrong advice it's a bit of a moral dilemma to let it slide, especially if someone is likely to follow that bad or wrong advice.

What seems to happen on here more than any other forum i use is that once a reply is made it turns into some point scoring pedantic bickering that seems to follow a whole different path than the topic was started on.

Just feel yourself lucky that some of the "regular" pedants haven't jumped in, we'd be on 20 pages by now arguing about the average toe size of Indians compared to Vikings :(

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The equation is simple: burn more calories than you put in and you lose weight. The psychology is more complicated.
Its good that you have found a form of exercise you enjoy as there is more chance of keeping it up over the longer term.
My advice is up the exercise gradually and make sure that, as far as possible, you do stuff you enjoy. In tandem with this reduce your food intake slightly.
Long term, sustainable weight loss should be the goal. Good luck and enjoy the walks!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
One thing I have found really helpful is podcasts. Download the friday night comedy from radio4, inside science (also from radio 4), and the outdoor station onto my phone, out come the poles, and off I go, keeps me from going mad while walking alone.

I have entirely the opposite approach. I would go mad, I think, if I had something blaring into my ear on a walk. I prefer to be entertained by what I see and hear out there. I also don't like setting goals and deadlines.
Neither way is right or wrong of course. Vive la difference!

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I have entirely the opposite approach. I would go mad, I think, if I had something blaring into my ear on a walk. I prefer to be entertained by what I see and hear out there. I also don't like setting goals and deadlines.

I dont like music when i walk either, much prefer the sound of the trees and water i go by.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Biggest load of balls I've read for a while

www.merckmanuals.com/home/disorders...utrition/carbohydrates_proteins_and_fats.html

with these fererro roche you are quite spoiling us.

If your on about thermic effect, proeteins the worst, but if you think that the energy lost in thermic effect is because its ease of processing proetin is the best complex food source.

As others said, sugar if you hit the wall(or start of famine state, cold/lack of movement), a choccy bar for a quick hit, if you have no energy you burn muscle and go into a famine cycle. I'd also venture to say the atkins diet works by bringing the body out of famine state, and providing the body with energy, proetin, fat, and minerals, so the hunger is filled. I cant stand steak and kidney when inactive, but I love it when active as the minerals in it are what I'm after.

Good luck Re8eldog.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
walked the london loop a couple of years back - its nearly 152 miles broken down in stages which have public transport links to get you home - easy to build up until your doing 2-3 in one go

http://www.walklondon.org.uk/route.asp?R=5

I passed some odd places at times but also some lovely spots you realy dont want to leave,

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Turbo Girl, nobody is slating opinions.

It is a fact that aerobic (slow) CV exercise burns fat.

It would be remiss of us not to correct erroneous statements.

Not exactly. Aerobic exercise burns calories. Wherever they come from: fat or other.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
You know what?! What ever you do matey go you! Doesn't matter if you loose weight at all. since you have been walking more your back is 10 times better than it was nearly 2 years ago! And that is a bonus in its self! I remember you couldn't walk 2 miles with out suffering for days afterwards now your doing 5 miles and you aren't that fussed! That's an accomplishment in its self! It's all about how much food you put in and much you burn it off! There's millions of says of burning it off but who cares the way your going it's going to come off at some point and this way it won't feel like a chore doing it. Which I think was the point you started in the first place. Sure you could loose the weight in a month if you ran like an athlete and ate like a rabbit. But where's the fun in that?! And it would never last because it's boring! At least this way it will be a long term/constant effort! :) and that's cracking matey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
And all this bull about what's the best way of loosing weight is pathetic! I could go to two or three different sport coaches or gym freaks and I bet each one would be different opinion but you'll still get the same outcome!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You know what?! What ever you do matey go you! Doesn't matter if you loose weight at all. since you have been walking more your back is 10 times better than it was nearly 2 years ago! And that is a bonus in its self! I remember you couldn't walk 2 miles with out suffering for days afterwards now your doing 5 miles and you aren't that fussed! That's an accomplishment in its self! .....
and that's cracking matey!

Well said.
Speaking as someone who has needed a stick to walk with for 6 months, I find your post very heartening.
Walking and physio exercises have helped me enormously.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Its you with the 1st birthday party tomorrow isn't it, I bet you'll be run ragged and be physically exhausted after that ;)
are you using the mapmyrun app or similar? Seems a good way to track progress and share it via the dreaded basefook :D

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm on a weight loss effort too. I'm walking between 3 - 7miles with a pack as an exercise walk. I'm also cycling and a bit of swimming. Got a bit of a dodgy shoulder at the min so not too much swimming. Calorie intake I'm managing through weight watchers which I like using and it's working for me. Dropped a trouser and shirt size so progress is being made.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne

I use a mp3 player when walking too , but I turn it off when my walk nears subways , as I live on the outskirts of the city and my walk takes in both Hadrian's wall and built up urban area's !

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I use mapmywalk, and yes after my girls 1st bday on sat with 20+ kids and 30+adults to BBQ for and then the inevitable games etc im totally pooped.
Then another BBQ on sunday with some other friends and a long day playing in the pool.
Its been a long weekend.

Im also getting a bike to do some bikepacking and getting out camping further afield.
Cant wait for it to start arriving this week.

See this thread for the bike problems i had.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122917

So will also be using mapmyride when i start getting out on her.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE