American crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I don't know if anyone has tried them !, they are really tasty, you do need to approach the environment agency for a license to be legal, with the application you have to show what type of net cages you are to use also,
The reason I say this is that I have just been refused a license stating that the American crayfish are not a threat in my area !!!, when recently we had a program on tv stating they were, has anyone had any problems in their area, I will continue to talk to the agency for more information and see where it gets me, if you like wild food you must try them

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I looked into this a while back and the biggest problem with eating the American invaders is you make the next generation of them even stronger, this is because they are cannibalistic in nature and consume huge amounts of the next generation keeping the numbers far lower than they would be if we caught a healthy chunk of the current adults, the American crayfish is a big problem up north here with the few remaining refuges of the white claw natives still resident up north here and we are not allowed to eat the Americans to try and control numbers as we make the next generation of their numbers a tenfold increase by removing their biggest predator.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If you clear them out and eat them, then there won't be enough for them to have a sustainable population like that. Plus they taste great.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Down where you are you can probably still get a license to trap them, only takes one female carrying hundreds of fertilised eggs to escape your cull and the problem is tenfold next season, even worse if she has just let the fry loose and then all the adults get swiped up and scoffed then there is nothing to scoff the fry and contain their numbers.

Those looking totally delicious i am salivating looking at your pics

Great photos, thanks for the info, the Environment agency has confirmed what you said especially on the particular river I wanted I was advised to find small local tributary to hunt in and then re- apply for that particular area and they would consider each area under its own merits

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I applied 4 times and gave up as any other river was out of any sensible reaching zone without spending good money to get there and back. Apparently it was the encouragement to eat as many as you can in the south that truly established the invader population as the advice was followed enthusiastically to rid the waters of a tasty vermin ensuring hardly any adults left to eat the young every birthing season.

I really want a big pan of ones just like in Jonathans pics, reminds me of holidaying in Portugal as all i ate everyday fresh from the boats was different crustaceans, as the fishermen brought them in i followed them straight to the restaurants on the beach and grabbed a seat as they put all the live ones into a tank and onto the menu, still to this day never enjoyed so much good seafood but those Crays in your pics would not have been out of place on those menus

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Great photos, thanks for the info, the Environment agency has confirmed what you said especially on the particular river I wanted I was advised to find small local tributary to hunt in and then re- apply for that particular area and they would consider each area under its own merits

What did the EA confirm?

I looked into this a while back and the biggest problem with eating the American invaders is you make the next generation of them even stronger, this is because they are cannibalistic in nature and consume huge amounts of the next generation keeping the numbers far lower than they would be if we caught a healthy chunk of the current adults, the American crayfish is a big problem up north here with the few remaining refuges of the white claw natives still resident up north here and we are not allowed to eat the Americans to try and control numbers as we make the next generation of their numbers a tenfold increase by removing their biggest predator.

This is what the EA confirmed to me, I think he was reading it from some sheet he had.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
how easy is it to apply for them can you find it all online i have a few rivers around here im sure there will be some in and can pick up cray nets at my fishing supplier for not alot ? any advice

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I got the robotic response and policy paragraphs too, poor bloke sounded like he had said it a thousand times that day, i am sure i was not the only person who had seen the episode of the tv show which said we should eat as many american invaders as we could to protect the white claw species and that we should contact the EA for to get more info on how and where to do it

Aug 9, 2013
Oxfordshire
I have been crayfishing for 3+ years now with no issue, I'm sure I would find it frustrating not to be able to trap but you have to balance that with protecting the natives.
The EA have recently changed their conditions and in short the collapsable traps can no longer be used and they promote the trappy trap style. Last year I got nearly 8.5Kg of tail and claw meat. The family just love the free food, just at times it can be a bit of a chore to collect and rebait every day.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
The EA an DEFRA could not find there rectums with both hands and a map and a guide. There is some places by mine (not the parks oddly) that are stuffed with the buggers! and flat out refuse to give me a licenseI and I have sent them pictures of ones I have caught while float fishing for perch an others I have picked up by hand from the bank. I suppose the local Carp boys have to cry long an hard more often before they take note.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE