Midges and mozzies in Scotland - crikey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Just watched one of those nature programs currently doing the rounds. Part of it set in Scotland, where I'm heading this summer, so I thought I'd better watch.

Those midges were horrific, I've been blessed with soft southern midges up until now, never seen anything like it.

I am planning on doing a lot of walking while I am in Scotland, plus some bothying, bivying, canoeing etc.

What do you Northern folk do to avoid getting chomped to pieces?

Any kit recommendations? Repellants? Jackets/hoods?

I'm still shuddering at the footage of these midges>

TIA

Alex

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beaton's midgie jacket.

Seriously, it's worth every penny.

That apart; it depends where you're going, what the weather's like (they won't fly in wind or rain or full bright sunshine, they do like stillish weather, they love humid weather, they won't get you twenty metres off shore, they aren't near as bad East coast as West) and what you're doing. They don't like smoke either.
If you're hammocking you need a midge net, not a mosquito net, they'll just fly through that. If you're taking a tent, make sure it's got a no-see'um mesh door/ventilation guards or pack fly spray (HWMBLT's solution to the problem :) )
If you're canoeing you'll at least be able to escape them if they are bad :D

You're likely to get masses of different suggestions though :)

cheers,
Toddy

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
All depends on the weather Alex, damp and warm, look out. Bit of a breeze and it'll be fine. A good midge repellent is always a good idea along with a midge head net.

I've now got a midge net jacket, it has a hood with a zip around face section :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Something which made me laugh from a while back was the two stages of a midge attack
1. Your worried you might die
2. Your worried you might not

:lmao:

In all seriousness, they can be bad- I've used ultrathon and life systems repellent before- it was okay, but not good for 100% protection. I've got a life systems headset now, that's brilliant, because they can cloud round you in a minute. I once left the tipi to go to the toilet in nothing but boxer shorts at early evening and for massacred, thankfully they don't get me to bad. I'd definitely recommend the head net, really helps and is nice and small to fit in your pocket :).

Hope this helps!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I find Wilmas Nordic Summer and a Beaton Midge jacket is about the best combination I can muster. It's not so much the biting which bothers me, I find Wilmas stops them biting, but it's the sheer number of them and the fact that they'll cover every inch of exposed flesh in minutes if you let them. The jacket helps, but you've still got to think about eating and drinking, you'll soon figure out a quick open and shut technique for the hood :) Something I've always forgotten is a light pair of liner gloves, it just doesn't come into mind when packing for a summer trip, something like the light running liners or Rab Meco gloves are the ones I've gone for.

Sleeping quarters always need bug protection, whether that's a hammock, tarp or tent. Having somewhere to sit and relax as well as just sleeping without being mobbed is nice, if you're in the canoe then you could cobble up a flat tarp roof and big net skirt for some respite. I forget who's made one just now but there's pics on here and on SOTP

I do most of my trips in Scotland and although they can make a trip truly miserable they're never enough to put me off going, give yourself the best chance of survival by picking a breezy camp, away from water if possible and have a bolt hole ready in case they do invade. A smokey camp fire is a help sometimes but even then the west coasters will still get you :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Something which made me laugh from a while back was the two stages of a midge attack
1. Your worried you might die
2. Your worried you might not

I've heard the same said if sea sickness, and a few others.

I asked a similar question about insect repellents over in the hygeine section. I am learning tho, ask a question of 5 bushcrafters, you will get 8 answers...

Julia

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Seriously follow what Toddy advised get a Beatons midge jacket, best 20 quid you will ever spend, the company is so cool and oldschool, you place your order on their site and they send you your requested number of products with a polite notice giving you payment instructions in your package. I wear a wide brimmed hat under mine and it is really amazing so much so you feel sorry for anyone without when when the midgies come feast in force.

So far my jacket has only been tested against the Northumbrian midge but next month i am wild camping and kayaking around loch lomond for about a month and without it i would not go at all

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Thanks for the responses.

I am seriously leaning towards a beaton jacket.

However SWMBO has just read about some Avon spray being the mutt's nuts and is stalling on the jacket. Anybody ever tried the Avon stuff?

TIA

Alex

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Tundra Tarp, couple of people have made them over on SotP. linky here

Essentially a tarp with midge netting hanging down to the ground, can be a god send, eating soup through a midge is not nice ;)

IME, Avon skin so soft works for some and not for others. Take an extra midge net.

Cheers,

Alan

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
i do believe that person means Skin so soft, i have heard good stuff but i certainly would not be taking that as my only defense

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Avon SSS has been used to good effect, rumours are that they have changed the formula, I don't know if it's true or not. It was quite oily, I think the midge drowned in it :)

They used to stake wrong doers out (naked) for the night, didn't kill em but sent them mad!

I bet if you get a Beaton's jacket you won't be the one who gets to wear it :rolleyes:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I was slightly sceptical of the midge jacket until i got my hands on it, quality is very impressive and the mesh is ultrafine, smaller than 100 micron pores, the zip around the hood protecting your face for easy access is also very solid. I have also seen the full body suit version but it is not by Beatons and i am not sure of the pore size

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-...TF8&qid=1403202447&sr=8-1&keywords=midge+suit

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks for the responses.

I am seriously leaning towards a beaton jacket.

However SWMBO has just read about some Avon spray being the mutt's nuts and is stalling on the jacket. Anybody ever tried the Avon stuff?

TIA

Alex

As said its called skin so soft n I have used it a lot.it does work as do normal reppellents but when them clouds of midges are hounding yer a head nets what you'll wish you had.their only cheap get a couple seriously! Stay away from the bracken too when yer setting up a camp

xylaria

Voile material works so does the shear stuff asian women wear as loose headscarfs. Avon gots it rep when it had bergamot oil in it. They took it out and put deet in it. eu dicats have put limits on the amount of bergamot that go in products on the skin. With my own stuff I can get down hardly getting a bite, but needing a net on because I literally cant breathe without inhaling a load.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Treat yourself to some Smidge repellant.

First tried it last year after having tried pretty much every repellant on the market. One of my fishing buddies raved about it but was skeptical as I've found most wear off quickly or simply don't work.

I was fishing a few days later at a small fishing dam surrounded by trees, bushes and marshes, from about 6pm to 11pm on a balmy West Coast of Scotland night with virtually no wind. I had taken my midge hood but ended up not even wearing it. I could see the midges, I could see other anglers thrashing their arms about all night but I had my own little bubble of protection. Not one bite...even felt as if when I was walking that the midge clouds were parting to let me through!

I've also worn it while walking/camping around Loch Lomond, Glencoe and further north...same result and happy days.

No connection with company etc, just a happy midge free customer.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
+ 1 for Smidge!! Great for lasting protection. However, I'm looking for something that keeps midges off when I'm letting the dogs out for a splash and dash at bedtime. I don't want to get Smidged up for 5 mins, nor will my midge jacket work when I'm wearing shorts.

Is there something that can be turned on and off to keep the little b's away?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Right, so the plan is camp sites on the coast, fires, TWO hoods or jackets, and a selection of repellants (I'll try and do a review).

Thanks again for all the advice.

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE