BA Bivvi Bug protection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, this weekend I learned the hard way of why bug nets are so popular.

As I sit here nursing my numerous insect bites, including one next to my eye. I am pondering bug protection.

My sleep setup is currently an Issue Basha with the army dpm bivvi bag underneath it, on top of an exped synmat 7UL sleep matt.

What would people advise by way of mossie protection for this setup?

Are midge head nets any good if you aren't wearing a hat underneath?

Thanks

Julia

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've used a headnet in a very buggy bit of woodland in my bivvy. Didn't get any bites, on my face at least :). That said I am waiting on a one of these to get back in stock for a little project I have in mind, not bad at 350g.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have seen one with a mozzi net sewn into the hood section but it was also modded with a zip for access.
For the same reason as you state I'm looking for a Dutch hooped bivvy the the mozzi built in.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Sorry to hear you've been bitten, its a hard way to learn. In june 2008 some friends of mine were walking the length of Hadrians wall, I could only get the time to join them for the weekend. When we arrived at the campsite, a guy was walking round with a head net on, & we laughed at him, but boy was he right, it was murder with the midges that year. So to answer one of your questions, they do work even if you aren't wearing a hat.
I have a hooped bivvy with a built in mozzy net/door.

Rob

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
I to like some bug protection this time of year so I use the stratophere by snug pack no good on own in winter use a tarp aswell but sound this time of year of on exercise in couple of weeks at stanta so hope it will keep some of the ticks at bay atb paul.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sorry to hear you've been bitten, its a hard way to learn. In june 2008 some friends of mine were walking the length of Hadrians wall, I could only get the time to join them for the weekend. When we arrived at the campsite, a guy was walking round with a head net on, & we laughed at him, but boy was he right, it was murder with the midges that year. So to answer one of your questions, they do work even if you aren't wearing a hat.
I have a hooped bivvy with a built in mozzy net/door.

Rob

Bloke must have been silently smug thinking we'll see who finds my midge hat funny tomorrow, vital kit in my book 'round here

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hi Julia. I just started another thread under Kit Chatter that might be of interest regarding Army Mozzy Net Tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thanks, just seen it. That BA bug tent is 2.3kg tho!

Sea to summit make a nano bug net at 82g that I may try out on my next trip.

Thanks all.

J

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It seems to be that weight with the poles and bag and other potential "fluff".

I was just thinking with the ground sheet built in and net it might not be bad.

Was considering your Basha and Bivibag. At about 1.6kgs you could quite easily equal that with a tent quite inexpensively and kick the backside out of the weight with a bit deeper pockets.

Obviously for £15 the BA Mozzy tent might work as a proof of concept if nothing else.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That is true. But I think I can fit this snuggly round my sleep matt to get the same effect. I will have to give it a go.

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sorry for playing devils advocate again but i've learnt from experience to look at my shelter as a whole rather than as parts.
Many times i've bought kit only to find that it doesn't work well with other kit i buy later.

I'll probably get a eye roll here, but how about just going for a tent instead of faffing with bug nets, tarps and bivvy bags?

If it's a clear night many tents will allow you to have the inner erected on it's own, even on a damp night you can have the doors open.

Alternatively if it's for the woods you usually stay how about keeping your eye out for a used DD hammock with bug netting?

In the mean time get yourself a bottle of Permethrin, spray all the kit that's going to be exposed to the air, tarp, sleeping bag/bivvy, outer clothes, hat etc etc.
Really works well and lasts several washes

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have seen one with a mozzi net sewn into the hood section but it was also modded with a zip for access.
For the same reason as you state I'm looking for a Dutch hooped bivvy the the mozzi built in.

Ive got a Rab ridge raider eVent bivvy with a built in bug net, very good although it tends to not get used as much as it used to- still a great bit of kit! :D

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sorry for playing devils advocate again but i've learnt from experience to look at my shelter as a whole rather than as parts.
Many times i've bought kit only to find that it doesn't work well with other kit i buy later.

I'll probably get a eye roll here, but how about just going for a tent instead of faffing with bug nets, tarps and bivvy bags?

A few reasons:

- I like the tarp, I like being able to see the world around me
- I like the bivvi bag. Yes it's heavy, but if I replace it with anything it will be another all round bag like the Alpkit Hunka
- I don't need the bug protection year round, or in every location I camp in
- Tents are either going to be heavy, or expensive. I can't justify the cost for a trip to the local woods. Maybe for a big trip, but there I will probably go trailstar + bear pawd nest route.

If it's a clear night many tents will allow you to have the inner erected on it's own, even on a damp night you can have the doors open.

Yep, but on a clear night, you still get dew, which is part of the reason for still using a bivvi bag even when no rain is forecast.

Alternatively if it's for the woods you usually stay how about keeping your eye out for a used DD hammock with bug netting?

No chance.

- As a side sleeper can I get a flat lay in a dd hammock?
- Have you seen the weight?
- Would require switching to under quilts and things...

In the mean time get yourself a bottle of Permethrin, spray all the kit that's going to be exposed to the air, tarp, sleeping bag/bivvy, outer clothes, hat etc etc.
Really works well and lasts several washes

Does it effect the breathability of goretex? does it eat plastic the way that Deet does?

Think I'd rather get the sea to summit 82g bug net...

I've ordered some stupidly simple midge repellent from xylaria of this parish, will try that on the next trip.

Ive got a Rab ridge raider eVent bivvy with a built in bug net, very good although it tends to not get used as much as it used to- still a great bit of kit! :D

I don't like hooped bivvi's.

I like the bivvi bags that I can use as a sleeping bag cover, wrap myself up in my cocoon, curl up on my side and watch the woods go by.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE