Bic lighter safety cover for pocket carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 4, 2012
UK
Bic style gas lighter - safety cover for pocket carry

Looking for a safety " cover " / slip in case / flip top case or similar for a standard full size cheap ( £1 ) Bic lighter ,

I had a lighter self ignite in my pocket years ago and do not want that to happen again,

I know I can purchase " flip lid holders " for the small size Bic lighters, but looking for one to fit a full size standard Bic lighter,

I want to use Bic lighter as their cheap - everyone sells them - I do not want to purchase a refillable type lighter,

thank you

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I just put a cable tie around the lighter, under the operating tab for the gas, which will prevent accidental ignition, if you tension the cable tie just right, you can slip it down out of the way to use the lighter, then back again when you've finished with it. I night add it can be tricky to move the cable tie with very cold fingers.
An alternative is a turn or two of insulation tape, with a tab left so you can peel it off easily.
Dave

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I use one of those hair bands (like rubber bands but fabric) but I'll agree it lacks finesse and looks nasty. Looks like a market opportunity to me!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Duck tape over the working end

It keeps the flint wheel dry in case of a dunking, stops the valve depressing and the duck tape makes a great firestarter. I've found that airport security pretty much ignore lighters wrapped like this too.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
The two-pack epoxy puttys such as plumbers putty or chemical metal sometimes come in plastic tube containers that fit bic lighters nicely and are waterproof.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
is self ignition in your pocket an issue?

i smoke and know lots of smokers, never heard of anyone injured by it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE