More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I think I prefer a back fid. Push the tool through a hawser between the ropes (it is tight) grab the end of a wire or serving with the serrated tip, tighten down with the ring to grasp it tight and pull the tool and wire back through.

I have done it with a Swedish fid on a Marlow plaited hawser but it was hard work, that tool would make it easier but it looks older than nylon.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Woke late and then put the clocks forward so didn't get to the boot until 11.30 so there wasn't much left. Did get a nice old spiralux screwdriver for 30p. However I did, or rather the wife did to use as a hanging weight, pick up a 1951 dated broad arrow marked, thing, which I would like to know the proper use of. Something for the plumber? See bottom, below.

image_zps8a9e43a8.jpg

The tins are yellow mineral jelly.

The weight thing has a code of G (or C) 1488

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
What no one knows what that lump of steels for?

anyhoo, I've just derusted this tool, got in a job lot a while back.

image_zps529d65f7.jpg

There is a very small hole in the centre of the disc furthest from the handle. The tips of the sprung arms at that end line up with this tiny hole. Any idea what it is for?

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have just found a excellent refurbished tool stall in the inside market at Colne. Its been there since September but we only rarely go there so this is my first poke about it.

The prices are very comparable to a carboots but wth the added bonus most of the items have been very nicely restored and the chap running it obviously knows his stuff. Since I had little cash on me and none of my lists i only spent 7 quid, and he threw in two brace spoon bits he hadnt cleaned up for nowt. I have his card and will be sending him my abridged wants list when i get home.

ATB

Tom :D

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's the before pic

imagejpg1_zps2779bd20.jpg

The imp wire gauge is a old Stubs, the pincers are Geo Plumptons & Co Warrington and the weavers tweezers are unmarked like they usually are. This is a very poor representation of his stock but the things I was most after.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Red
I did look for some good shears but he only had the aircraft sort with the chunky grips like the 4 in the photo I put up a few weeks back. I should have taken some pics of the trays of tools. Nicely restored planes, good brands, are £15 a pop. Also had gardening tools as well as wood working and metal working stuff. He did say he had some blacksmiths tongs he would dig out for me....

He does sharpening and sand blasting so I may see how much it will be to do the army pay chest / strong box I picked up a whole back. I want to use it for storing poisonous stuff.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A half hour in the citric acid and a quick whiz on the wire wheel followed by some oil and they are done.

imagejpg1_zps8ae6a02a.jpg

Anybody know the proper way to sharpen the drills? I was just going to use a slightly larger slip stone to put a edge on th inside edges.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Red
I did look for some good shears but he only had the aircraft sort with the chunky grips like the 4 in the photo I put up a few weeks back. I should have taken some pics of the trays of tools. Nicely restored planes, good brands, are £15 a pop. Also had gardening tools as well as wood working and metal working stuff. He did say he had some blacksmiths tongs he would dig out for me....

He does sharpening and sand blasting so I may see how much it will be to do the army pay chest / strong box I picked up a whole back. I want to use it for storing poisonous stuff.

atb

Tom

Sounds like a great place. I've not forgotten your sycamore - need to get the chainsaw out to cut it out of the tree trunk its part of and I'm a tad busy right now :). Shout if its urgent.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No hurry at all Red, thanks for whenever you can.

just sent the guy a wants list, lets see if he has owt. If he has the lot I'm stuffed! It will be beens until Xmas!

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not strictly from a carboot but from the second hand tool stall on Colne market.
the leather working tools were £2 each, the rest I got for £20 as I wasn't going to haggle with the guy. The leather working tools are mainly marked "J.DIXON". They are all UK made Anyroad.

Heres the before picture.

imagejpg1_zps0a3fe0f2.jpg

I'm rather chuffed with them as there bits there I relly wanted and was preparing to cough up for new.

http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/products.asp

will do pics of them leaned up.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Good stuff!

well they cleaned up nice, I didn't go mad on the woodwork, just sanded the worst off and slapped on umpteen coats of linseed oil.

imagejpg1_zps451d32c1.jpg

Anyone know the correct method for sharpening the edge shaves and the compass racers?

ATB

Tom

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nicely restored Tom goodjob

No idea on the sharpening aspect but I'm curious about the teardrop shaped item with all the dimples at the bottom of the picture. Any idea what it was for?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Its a sort of heavy duty harness makers sewing palm, the dimples sertve the same purpose as on a thimble and the bit that sticks out has a cup on the end for pushing a big saddlers needle.

To be honest I thought id get a bit more reaction from the leather workers when I showed this lot off. I kinda enjoy the jelous abuse, which is kind of worrying now I come to think of it.....

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I have enjoyed this thread immensely!iI can see you and I are kindred spirits!You have good luck finding the random militaria bits...my local carboot is a bit slow to get going this year but I am ever hopeful.The edge shaves are sharpened on an oil stone pointing the tool forwards.Push the tool away from yourself a few times with a slight tilt each time(handle end down)then remove the burr from the inside of the groove.Not sure if this is textbook but its how I do mine and it works for me.
Lovely haul of leather tools...just imagine that lot to buy new!!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Its a sort of heavy duty harness makers sewing palm, the dimples sertve the same purpose as on a thimble and the bit that sticks out has a cup on the end for pushing a big saddlers needle.

To be honest I thought id get a bit more reaction from the leather workers when I showed this lot off. I kinda enjoy the jelous abuse, which is kind of worrying now I come to think of it.....

ATB

Tom

That's why you didn't get the reaction tombear! I wouldn't give you the satisfaction :)

I did a lot of harness stitching when I was younger and was always told to use the "pusher", as they were known by us; it slowed me down so I didn't use it while my my hands were young and nimble and have paid a very heavy price as I've got older, osteoarthritis in both hands has meant I've had three lots of surgery in the past twelvemonth and can expect a year or more to recover any kind of dexterety in either hand. The folly of youth, eh?

The Dixon's tools were always highly prized and were a superb find, and I am suitably envious of your good fortune..............happy now?......:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE