What would you have done with the rat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
and no body has prosecuted the RSPCA for releasing grey squirrels out of traps which is illegal

My views on that organisation are well known - and indeed increasingly common. No way they ever set foot on my land.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Make sure if you got pets you have them vaccinated as rats spread leptospirosis I think it is and it's easy for pets to catch and it horrible, shuts kidneys etc down very quick,

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Feeling a lot better about it now. Rat stayed in the binbag & went in the wheelie bin, which was collected this morning.

Had it not been around 10:30pm & pissing with rain then I might have taken a little more care with the disposal.

Dogs are vaccinated, thanks.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Killing anything is not a nice feeling, the aim when doing such task is to be as humane as possible, and have respect for the dead by eating it, (were possible) in the case of Rolland you did all you possibly could, no creature is going to stand still for you in an Alien environment, so a precise shot at it would be near impossible, but by putting a second shot in a vital organ was the correct action taken, these rats are a health hazard to humans and pets alike, so doing so, did everybody a favour, bearing in mind some people get paid for doing such tasks.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I don't have an air rifle (tis on the shopping list). But I do have an old sandbag. I would try to get the rat into the bag, then hit it with the flat of a spade. The bag makes it easier to hit.

J

Crank Cuffin

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Bognor Regis
I'm a vegetarian and I would have killed it! :eek:
Mice and rats need to stay out of the way then they won't get killed.

I had to kill a rabbit on a scout and cub hike. It was dying from myxomatosis and no one else could face putting it out of its misery. Step up the vegetarian!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't know how you can call that stuff you get in the US bacon ;)

LOL. I like BOTH our bacon and yours. But ham! That's where the difference shines through. Nothing compares to a smoke cured Virginia ham.

Next time you're here, ignore the cheap, thin sliced stuff the restaurants call bacon. That's only good for BLTs. Get some real, thick sliced bacon; Wright's or Gwaultney thick sliced are both good.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE