looking for a first aid field guide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 29, 2012
belgium
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good first aid guide which is small enough to take with me on trips,
but still has a lot of practical info and how to's.
Any idea's?Thanks a bunch

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
a bit more than just first aid but full of good stuff- try
the expedition and wilderness medicine guides by either oxford or cicerone easily found on tinterweb,- amazon etc.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
"Outdoor First Aid" by Katherine Wills is an excellent book - in my opinion probably the best you can get. It might be a bit big for you to pop in your bag on trips though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
-The most comprehensive will be the very book they issue when teaching the cours (yes I agree, take a proper course) but it'll likely be too big and too heavy to carry about.

-The most easily carried about is likely the Boy Scout pamphlet for the 1st Aid Merit Badge; and very likely also the least comprehensive.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Go and train on a course, if you need a book you won't be helping the casualty.

agree,like lots of bushcraft stuff- what knowledge/skills you have weigh nowt and you always have them with you. doesn't do any harm to have a bit of back up for stuff you don't remember/didn't cover though. also the books I mentioned talk about planning and prep to avoid some situations.

Oct 29, 2012
belgium
I agree with all of you. A course is the best way to learn all the different techniques and a guide does not replace this. I am actually planning on taking one. I just want a guide to be able to take along to be able to fall back to. Training is essential,me being a professional trainer i know this. But i also know that when you don't practice or work with the taught techniques you tend to forget certain details.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It depends where you're going. If you're within reasonable distance of proper medical help then basic stabilising first aid is all that you are likely to need. If you're going trekking in the wilds far away from immediate help then you need something serious. I would go for "Oxford Handbook of Expedition and Wilderness Medicine" and a serious advanced first aid course.

Crank Cuffin

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Bognor Regis
I have got this book which is excellent and endorsed by St John Ambulance, St Andrew's First Aid and the British Red Cross.
Its a bit heavy for back packing but is ideal for base camp.
I will definitely be packing it for cub and scout camps.
Its published by DK which means the pages are stitched and will survive a lot of usage.
51GPpfTIY9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE