Hand drill starter kits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
A basic bushcraft skill is creating fire by friction. Hand drilling is one of the main methods used by primitive cultures worldwide to do this. This method is simple, needing just two parts - a drill and a hearthboard - in order to created a live coal. Those who master it are rewarded with immense satisfaction often above and beyond succeeding at the relatively high tech bow drilling. In order to help you master it I have designed a starter kit. The kit will come with the knowledge that I have assembled it from among the best available materials in the UK, and that I have already used each drill with the hearth board in your posession to sucessfully create fire. Therefore all that remains is learning the technique. To help you with this I have assembled some detailed, illustrated guidelines that come with the kit.

I am currently putting the finishing touches to 4 sets. One of them is shown below.

Hand2.jpg

The full kit comprises:-

- 1 unplaned softwood (pine) hearthboard, approx 9" by 1.5" by 0.5" with pre started and labelled depressions, 2 of which have successfully made a live coal with the other contents of the pack.
- 1 elderberry wood drill with one end burnt in by forming some of the depressions and making one of the live coals
- 1 buddliea wood drill with one end burnt in by forming some of the depressions and making the other live coal
- 1 simple thumb loop set - formed by a strip of cloth and initially attached to one of the drills
- 1 set of detailed instructions

It comes packaged in a cardboard tube with natural packing materials.

The cost is £12 + £2.70 postage and packing, making £14.70 in all, payable in advance by cheque.

Please PM me if you are interested. [To PM - private message - someone first click on their name in a thread, top left of their message, and then follow directions]

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good stuff Rich. I think it's admirable that you're putting these together so that people can learn more, you're a good man :You_Rock_

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
After much positive feedback from others, and especially from those folk who purchased my first batch of hand drill kits I have now done a second round and have some more kits available.

Take a look at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=10673 for some of the feedback not on this thread.

So... the price is the same £12.00 for the kit and £2.70 postage and packing within the UK, making £14.70 in all. If interested then PM me.

Incidentally I tested out a kit just keeping it in the shed where it is cooler and damper than in the house airing cupboard. It could just about be done, but was pretty tough for me. But when making up the new sets I used them dry and it was very straight forward. So keep em good and dry.

I am still awaiting the first person to claim not only satisfaction with the kit but also success in getting a coal.

Calypso

Jun 24, 2005
Northumberland
I received my kit last week. Everything I needed was included with some very good instructions. I've been following these this week and finally put it all together to produce an ember. I was a bit suprised at this but managed to blow it to flame in a kitchen towel!

Thanks for the kit and know-how. I'm off to play with it again now!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Razorstrop said:
Rich how long are the drills?

Strop
About as long as I can get in a 24 inch tube.

The ideal length for a drill is probably between 1.5 and 3 feet. Longer drills can whip about unless absolutely straight and may not spin as freely. I have often started with a 3 footer, found it wasn't spinning well, cut it down, and got a much better drill out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE