Trail /Ambush Camera Traps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone have any suggestions on Trail Camera's ? Looking to get one and wondering what sort of money to drop on one? can you get 'decent' quality at the more budget end of the market or do you need to drop more money for better returns?

I'll be honest, my biggest concern is someone finding it once set up and walking away with it....:)

So any suggestions.

Jackdaw

Forgot to mention that the Acorn has a second battery pack which extends the operation life considerably. I've left it out in pretty horendous weather for 3 weeks in video mode and it still had plenty of battery life left in it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've got a Spypoint IR-5 and, for the price, I'm very happy with it. It has quick activation compared to some, it has proved to be very waterproof and the batteries last months. The downside which will affect similar cameras is the picture isn't as detailed as more expensive ones. I note they now do a HD-7 for about £150 and I would consider one of those if I needed another cheap camera.

Another option is waiting for a cheap Aldi/Lidl one to turn up. They are often quite cheap but I don't know what the pics are like

Here's an example of an IR-5 pic:
roedoeSP5.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I got myself one from Aldi a while back - good results for the outlay - but I mainly use it in the garden to film the Badger that visits every night and up in my local woods that have no public access.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I was just pursuing the sport pursuit website and noticed they have a flash sale on for a trail cam. £90 from rrp of £275. Look under camping category.

I find that some of Sport Pursuit's quoted RRPs can be a little misleading. I know that it is the US price, but Walmart show the list price for the 6mp camera as $149.99 and sell it for $111.96. That said, £89.70 is a not a bad price.

Some of the reviews though say that the detection zone is larger than the field of view and that this, combined, with a fairly quick trigger speed means that the subject can be missed sometimes.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
If you can wait for a bit as John says Aldi market their own brand, but it's basically a re-badged acorn. I can't remember what month they sell them but I paid about £70 for it - quality is on par with some of the more expensive models, and I've not been disappointed.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you can wait for a bit as John says Aldi market their own brand, but it's basically a re-badged acorn. I can't remember what month they sell them but I paid about £70 for it - quality is on par with some of the more expensive models, and I've not been disappointed.

20th June last year.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Cheers guys - I'm still taking this all in so guess I'll wait until June to see if it does re-appear.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
I have been researching these recently and one of the most important specifications is trigger time (how quickly the camera reacts to movement).
My research leads me to Bushnell being the best value although you will need to spend at least £200 for a good one. Some good revues on YouTube.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have been researching these recently and one of the most important specifications is trigger time (how quickly the camera reacts to movement).
My research leads me to Bushnell being the best value although you will need to spend at least £200 for a good one. Some good revues on YouTube.

Cheers Skate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE