MSR Hubba Hubba NX !!! Anyone got one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi folks

just wondered if anyone had any experience of the Hubba Hubba? . I am about to buy a tent for backpacking use mainly in the mountains and will be used mainly spring and summer and early autumn.

I was going to go for the Hillerberg Anjan2 but the MSR seems a good alternative. My only concern are the blocky ends and it's tolerance to wind, it looks like a bit of a wind sock!!!.

so if anyone has any knowledge of it or any other suggestions fire away.

Cheers

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't have one but don't like any tent that pitches inner first in the UK. They tend to fill up with water before you get the lid on in the rain.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi Adz I already have a Trailstar ( don't ask it's a long story) I am introducing some one to camping in the hills and they would prefer to be in a tent. The Trailstar is my shelter of choice for me and when I will take my pooch. But I need at two man tent that not really heavy or really expensive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi Adz I already have a Trailstar ( don't ask it's a long story) I am introducing some one to camping in the hills and they would prefer to be in a tent. The Trailstar is my shelter of choice for me and when I will take my pooch. But I need at two man tent that not really heavy or really expensive!

In that case I would recommend Zephyros 2 as it would be much cheaper, easier to pitch and is a inner/outer pitch together ;)

You can get the pre-lite versions for even less :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have a hubba 2 man tent and love it. I've had it in the NW of Scotland in quite cr&ppy weather. It bends in the wind which shrinks the liveable space but stayed up. Mine is 6-7 years old, and love it. All up mass is about 1.6kg.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I think the Hubba comes out with more useable interior space Adz although I do like wild country tents I have had a few over the years and they never let me down.

Scoman , do you find the hub system gets stressed in the wind ? It looks worrying to me I have had a few googles for reviews of it in wind and can find none. It came out with best buy in a walk the highlands 2 man review and this new version is pretty light and had flexible options for pitching too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a TN Superlite Solar 2.2 for a good price on OM a few months back, front and back doors, big vestibule and supposed to be good in wind. Carol won't have any of the Trailstar either :rolleyes:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I love my Vaude Hogan, it's 2.8kg, and has survived storms that have left the rest of the campsite flattened.

I would like to replace it with a Vaude Power Lizzard SUL, which is 1kg, and should be just as durable in the weather.

Neither tent is cheap, but both are strong and reliable.

J

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I think the Hubba comes out with more useable interior space Adz although I do like wild country tents I have had a few over the years and they never let me down.

Scoman , do you find the hub system gets stressed in the wind ? It looks worrying to me I have had a few googles for reviews of it in wind and can find none. It came out with best buy in a walk the highlands 2 man review and this new version is pretty light and had flexible options for pitching too.

I was up in Uist and the wind backed 180 through the night. The tent and poles held up and it was the worst pitch I've come across for holding. There was about an inch of turf like soil over large beach pebbles. But it held with only 6 pegs. When the wind came in it was strong and lowered the roof a good foot as the whole tent bent sideways. At one point I thought about jumping in the car but it held. If you can put up with inner pitch first it's a cracking tent loads of room but I've never shared it with anyone.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers for that update Scoman, I have used it a couple of times now and I'm really impressed with the quality of the workmanship and the space provided. For the weight it's a really good "proper" tent for two people and gear. I guess my concerns really stem from the more or less flat ends as the only guying point is attached to the ventilation flap which I could see being a problem in heavy winds. The inner pitch first is not an issue really as the fly goes on pretty quick and I always have a trek towel which I can wipe up any moisture that gets in with heavy rain. The ground hog pegs seem to really get a good hold considering they are only short too so I can see how they would have stayed put in such poor ground. Cheers once again,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE