A Walk in The Woods.......Bill Bryson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
walkwoods.jpg
If you haven't read this book then on the basis of what I've covered so far you are missing out.

The basic narrative is the story of him and a buddy walking the Appalachian Trail, which is a hardcore long distance footpath and covers over 2000 miles up the East coast of America from Georgia to Maine.

Last night, I read the funniest paragraph I have ever encountered; so much so that I couldn't read it out loud to my wife for about 10 minutes. Suffice it to say that I shall never think of a kid's paper birthday streamer in the same light ever again.

A very informative and funny read (which is classic Bryson) and I commend it to the forum.

:)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
One of my favourite books :).

Stringmaker I know just the paragraph you mean :lmao:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I finished this last night and like all of Bryson's works it is way more than just the title.

He paints a pretty grim picture of how badly various official bodies have mismanaged the National Parks and natural landscape over the years. I also agree with an earlier comment that his walking companion would have ended up in a shallow grave!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just picked up 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' from a charity shop, looking forward to giving it a read.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Read it more times than i care to remember!! Still not allowed to read it in bed as my laffing keeps the missus awake. One of his best!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Downloaded it and read it straight through in an afternoon - wonderful (but then I do like his writing). Took the odd pause to look up pictures online (and watch Breakfast Of Champions :D) and glad I now understand the significance of the party streamer comment! :D :D

Fortunately, I have three other books of his on my Kobo yet to read :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE