Leather Stone-Age Boat Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Terrific trip report and thanks for posting. What is the provenance for a boat of this design with outrigger? All the engravings of boats on rocks in Scandinavia are of single-hulled craft as far as I remember. The earliest ones have straight stem and sterns.

1ebc5dbc80.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Absolutely great stuff! A great read and pictures to go with it; I reckon that's a tale for many, many campfires to come! :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Thank you for all the comments :) It has been quite an adventure! We move on to a different farm tomorrow, so who knows what awaits next

I am still returning to reality but to reply to two comments in particular

Terrific trip report and thanks for posting. What is the provenance for a boat of this design with outrigger? All the engravings of boats on rocks in Scandinavia are of single-hulled craft as far as I remember. The earliest ones have straight stem and sterns.

1ebc5dbc80.jpg

It is because most of the rock carvings show a very large crew or 20+ which is very difficult to get with a single hulled craft. Catamarans are still an ancient design, so we put 2 and 2 together :)

What an incredible trip and write up! thanks for sharing. How are you getting on with the pair of sleeping bags I sold you?

Couldn't be happier mate they have kept us nice and cosy ;)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Thanks for the reply and the reasoning for the outrigger. Not to labour the point but there has been a lot of discussion on whether the pictured ships on rocks were skin or wooden hulled and for me a plank-built is the more likely for the larger ones as single-hulls.
For example: Antiquity Volume 54, number 211, page 118-127, Plank-built in the Bronze Age- JR Hale.

Dreadhead

Thanks for the reply and the reasoning for the outrigger. Not to labour the point but there has been a lot of discussion on whether the pictured ships on rocks were skin or wooden hulled and for me a plank-built is the more likely for the larger ones as single-hulls.
For example: Antiquity Volume 54, number 211, page 118-127, Plank-built in the Bronze Age- JR Hale.

I'll certainly not argue the point, but i think both are valid. I think back then, it would have come down to materials and craftsmanship. It is amazing just how easy it is to make a leather boat compared to a wooden hulled one. But because of the lack of much archaeological evidence this was an experimental build, mainly just to see if it could be done in the first place :)

Dreadhead

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Wow, what a fantastic adventure Hamish!
Thoroughly enjoyed your report and pictures....looking forward to the next lot :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats funny, I have found an article on skin boats in an old publication.

They mention rock carvings but I dont think there is any other evidence for such craft in Scandanavia.

The saami made sewn boats...But I think they were planks sewn togather like the old dhows.

I thought catermerans were a south seas thing?

(Id love to go out in a curragh, me and my affinity to the Age of Saints and all...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE