Wombling Collective?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
So I'm out on the rigs again doing night shift. I had an idea during my morning routine today.

A good many of us like wombling. (that is to say finding things that are being discarded and re-homing and repurposing them)

I wonder if anyone might be interested in joining a wombling collective - The idea being that you post here (perhaps a thread in sales??) saying you're on the look out for a particular thing, then other people keep an eye out for that item in their local area.

Then if you find something you can contact the person and get it posted.

For example I'm keeping an eye out for a leather sofa that's being chucked so I can get the leather for an upcoming project.

Writing it down it sounds a tad too similar to a "wanted advert" but do you see what I'm thinking?

All opinions welcome.

All the best
Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We call it The Good Things Network :) and it's corollary is that, "It's nae loss whit a freen gets" :) among my family and friends :D

Sofa I can't help with, but somewhere I have a length of turquoise leather meant to cover a desk top....too good to throw away, but not ever likely to get used here.

atb,
Mary

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So I'm out on the rigs again doing night shift. I had an idea during my morning routine today.

A good many of us like wombling. (that is to say finding things that are being discarded and re-homing and repurposing them)

I wonder if anyone might be interested in joining a wombling collective - The idea being that you post here (perhaps a thread in sales??) saying you're on the look out for a particular thing, then other people keep an eye out for that item in their local area.

Then if you find something you can contact the person and get it posted.

For example I'm keeping an eye out for a leather sofa that's being chucked so I can get the leather for an upcoming project.

Writing it down it sounds a tad too similar to a "wanted advert" but do you see what I'm thinking?

All opinions welcome.

All the best
Andy

That sounds interesting!
I too am after upholstery leather.... always am!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I like the sound of this!I cant think of anything i'm after off the top of my head but I do a fair amount of upholstery leather...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Ah good I'm glad you like the idea. Leather was just the top thing on my list on my list of things to look out for just now.

In theory you could keep an eye out for anything. I need decent bits of wood for the new allotment and so on and so forth.

The practicalities of getting things posted around the country would have to be worked out between individuals and I'd expect the seeker to pay the finder. (Wombleee/ wobbler??)

Might not work but I like the idea.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE