Hard boiled eggs in a fire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Inspired by a video of Uncle Ray cooking a pair of goose eggs in the embers of a fire simply by cutting a hole in one end and placing them in the ember bed.

So, with a small fire and half a dozen eggs, today I set about trying this. The eggs cooked, and everyone found them largely edible, but they kept exploding. Which while it certainly livened up the afternoon dodging the hot eggy shrapnel, but I would like to find a way of doing this where by they don't explode.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

J

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What you did wrong could be a variety of reasons

Maybe the hole wasn't big enough

Did you stir the contents before heating it?

Did you continue to stir it occasionally?

Were the embers relatively cool or quite hot?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
This is how I do mine.
Taken from, "Ember Bed Cooking" by George Hedgepeth.

Eggs- Eggs can be prepared simply without a pot or pan and with no waste. Peck a small hole in the small end of the egg- this hole need be no larger than the diameter of a matchstick. Make sure the membrane is pierced. This will keep the hot egg from exploding.

Bury most of the egg in the coals and ashes, pierced end up and exposed. As it cooks, a small bit of egg white will exude from the pressure relief hole. If the egg had a white shell, it will turn brown. When the eggs are removed from the embers, they are treated as if they had been boiled. Peel them and enjoy! The remains of the fire will break down the shells.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Where's the fun in an egg that doesn't explode?

I say Ray was doing it wrong and you got it right. :cool:

Instant exploding eggs are a winner, despite having to pick the egg out of your hair, beard, pants, boots, sleeping bag, eye, mates eye..........................

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I had a go once with a duck egg.poked a little hole in top scraped back the embers n piled up the hot ash around it worked a treat.cooking it slowly got be key Han it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE