SWAZI Windriver Jacket Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
For about a year now I've been wearing a SWAZI Windriver jacket for dog walks and general country knocking about. It's become my favourite jacket and I'd like to explain why.
JWR_2D3C1E_MED.png

The Windriver falls into the category of breathable windproof long-style hooded fleece jacket. There aren't too many competitors in this segment but I find it really does a range of jobs better than any other jacket. Description first : wired, removable hood, drawcord at waist, mid-thigh length, chest pocket and two very deep lower front pockets. That's about it. However it's the way it does what it does that makes it special.

Firstly it's a very nice cut - roomy but not baggy, the hood is well-fitted and moves with your head. The hood has no front flaps in the usual SWAZI style, so when the hood is down it lies very neatly. The olive colour is nice as well - not too military. My son has the black version and that also works. The long length means that over-trousers are required much less often.

Secondly, the AEGIS fabric is really windproof and that in combination with the cosiness of the fleece means this is a perfect jacket for cold damp windy days. But what surprised me was how amazingly breathable the fabric is. I have a Stoney Creek long hooded bush-shirt which I quite like, but it is somewhat clammy, whereas I have never got sweaty in the SWAZI jacket. It is by far the most breathable windproof fleece I have tried.

Thirdly it is to all intents and purposes waterproof. I have been out in a fair bit of rain in it and never got wet, although the seams are not sealed and I would expect a day of rain would leave the wearer pretty damp. However for a rainy dog walk it's fine.

Drawbacks : the deep front pockets wouldn't work with a rucksack hipbelt. It's cut long, which is great in my book, but you would have to find a long waterproof to go over it (eg a SWAZI one) if that is what you wanted to do. Also it is expensive, maybe outrageously so for a fleece, but at least it hasn't been made by Chinese children. It's quite bulky and is a jacket to wear rather than carry in a rucksack. Also of course it doesn't like sparks, but I have never managed to put a hole in any fleece of mine by sitting by a fire.

They are now available for a steep price from Tamarack and on long lead-times. It is cheaper and quicker to import them direct from SWAZI NZ and takes about 10-15 days, with no hassles. I have a pair of the matching AEGIS trousers on order.

Last edited:

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Really appreciate the review, been tempted but always hesitated before committing because of lack of reviews, now i have no excuse. Thanks
do any of the swazi jackets have pit zips? Or ways of ventilating?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hello Carabao - no they don't. However they really do breathe very well and this one is exceptional, so I have never needed them or just used the front zip. I was very sceptical about AEGIS at first, and just thought they were saving money by not using Gore tex any more, but this AEGIS windproof is really good.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Hello Carabao - no they don't. However they really do breathe very well and this one is exceptional, so I have never needed them or just used the front zip. I was very sceptical about AEGIS at first, and just thought they were saving money by not using Gore tex any more, but this AEGIS windproof is really good.
Nonsuch, thanks for your reply, I'm sold, but and there's always a but, do I put an extra couple of long ones and go for the wapiti, or go for the windriver.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Carabao, the Wapiti is superb and very very waterproof as well as very breathable. If you only got one, I would go for the Wapiti. However the Wapiti is quite heavy and stiff, especially in the new AEGIS fabric, and not warm - it is after all a really heavy duty waterproof jacket. On the inside is is a grey laminate-type material that looks a lot like most Gore tex jackets. The Windriver is a cosier all-rounder but ultimately not long-term waterproof, whereas the Wapiti absolutely keeps you dry and that is about it. On my Swazi splurge about a year ago I got 1) Wapiti, then 2) Tahr XP and then 3) Windriver. It's the Windriver I wear most.

By the way, the Wapiti overtrousers aren't up to much IMHO - funny cut and very swishy.

Good luck in your decision.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Update : Got the 4WD trousers from NZ now - the equivalent of the jacket and they are impressive on a first look; stretchy windproof mostly waterproof fleece. Good cut for the outdoors with a deep rise and waist belt. Bottom cuffs are rather aggressively elasticated so they are really only for wearing with boots, but I expect they will do a great job as a cosy windproof pair of winter trousers and nice to pair with a Tahr or similar.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Re importing these from NZ, didn't you get hit with import duty/taxes etc? If so, how did that compare with UK-sourced prices? THanks.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Nonsuch, how does the sizing come up?

Montane for example on me is to long for the size in arms, but tight on the body.

How would you size a windshirt combined with a Tahr xp for example?

Alan l.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Spot on sizing for all the jackets. I am an XL in most jackets and also in Swazi for the Tahr and Windriver. I am an L in the trousers, however, and an L in the Back 40 shirt, which is very baggy.

Yes you do pay import duty but it is still cheaper than buying in the UK, as far as I have been able to calculate. You don't pay NZ GST if you are exporting from NZ.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
I m about a 45/46 chest and I wear an XL in the jackets, both Tahr and Windriver, and a L in the soft fleeces like the Back 40 shirt, which is very baggy. I am a 36 waist and a L fits me for the 4WD (Windriver) trousers, although I have gone for an XL in the Tahr overtrousers and these just fit, for some reason!. Their size chart is pretty spot on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE