Princess Mononoke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I was just listening to the orchestral score of one of my favourite films, Princess Mononoke. I reckon some of you may really like this film directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

pW5LJAv.jpg

Princess Mononoke is a period drama set in the late Muromachi period (approximately 1337 to 1573) of Japan, but with fantasy elements. The story follows the young Emishi warrior Ashhitaka's involvement in the struggle between the supernatural guardians of a forest and the humans who consume its resources.[2] The term "Mononoke" (物の怪 or もののけ?) is not a name, but a general term in the Japanese language for a spirit or monster; a closer rendering of the title into English would be "The Mononoke Princess" or "The Spirit Princess".

Princess Mononoke received extremely positive reviews from film critics. As of March 2014, the film review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 93% approval rating based on 101 reviews, with an average rating of 7.9/10. It offers the consensus: "With its epic story and breathtaking visuals, Princess Mononoke is a landmark in the world of animation."

Has anyone seen it?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes, loved that film, I was quite freaked out by the little white forest spirit things the first time I watched it. :)

My favourite Miyazaki film is probably Totoro.

Here is Joe Hisaishi conducting that theme live at the Budokan.

[video=youtube;w9iyEAXt8OY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9iyEAXt8OY[/video]

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Didn't some western critic liken it culturaly to the Japanese equivalent of star wars, then get rebuked by a Japanese critic stating it was far more complex?
can't seem to see it online.
anyways, cracking film, the boar king turning evil really got me a bit.
we've got a few of the ghibli films, the kids love them, fave's for me are laputa and porco rosso, the kids love totoro, the cat returns and ponyo.
earthsea wasn't that great. the missus loves howls moving castle :D

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
yep ive seen princess mononoke a couple of times on film 4 ( I will skull crush you ! ) lol.I also saw the animated one about a witch and her cat that delivers parcels ( kiki's delivery service ) ? in france ? also the on with the 2 bairns traveling on the flying cat to see their mother in hospital (my neighbour totoro) ? And the cat returns . .They had a studio ghibli season on last year if I remember rightly.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes, loved that film, I was quite freaked out by the little white forest spirit things the first time I watched it. :)

My favourite Miyazaki film is probably Totoro.

Here is Joe Hisaishi conducting that theme live at the Budokan.

[video=youtube;w9iyEAXt8OY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9iyEAXt8OY[/video]

Oh boy, I'd love to have been at the Budokan for that; what an ensemble, eh?.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its very good, one of his better.

my favorite was `Spirited away` and I was gutted when a rampaging neo pagan friend didnt get it, they were shocked when the heroine Chihiro(?) sides with the spirits...

...I now know who not to take on my next trip to the Other World...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I was lucky enough this afternoon to hear this in the control room of a famous recording studio near here, on what is probably one of the top ten sound systems on the planet, whilst eating good sushi and drinking very good warm saki!!!

Not an afternoon I'll forget in a hurry, stunning.............I'm still gobsmacked by it all, so thanks for the linky! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE