New Backpack Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Well my trusty Berghaus Nomad has finally been relegated to carrying my fishing tackle and shore foraging kit. It has given me many years of use and has travelled the globe with me as hand luggage and on my motorbike. It has seen one wash too many and is starting to look a bit to shabby and bleached these days. My missus is feeling generous (probably because I treated her nice for her 40th birthday) and has said "Ach will you please go and get yourself a new day bag!" I think the rough translation of that is "I'm not going out walking with you when your wearing that fusty old rag on your back!!!"

Anyway, I have been looking at the Fjallraven Vintage 20l and Karrimore Sabre SF Delta 25.

I love the retro look of the Fjallraven and prefer to have side pockets. I have a Fjallraven Helags 40 already and I'm well impressed with it and this is made from the same materials. In fact I have a few Fjallraven products and I have been impressed with the quality so far. I also like the cool back, air mesh system thingy (sorry to get technical) as, being a porker, I tend to sweat a bit!

I like the Karrimor too as its slim design appeals to me. It has a map pocket and a few other features that the Fjallraven doesn't. I also have a Karrimor Sabre 45 with added side pockets (45l + 20l) which is probably one of the most comfortable bags I have ever owned. Its a bit too big for everyday use and is only used for travelling and weekends away (I have just packed it up ready for a week in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire). The Sabre SF 25 seems to have a very similar harness system to its bigger brother and although I wouldn't be carrying as much kit for a day out, it would certainly be very comfortable.

Can anyone share their experiences with these backpacks? Do you have another alternative I could consider?

Many thanks in advance.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
No experience with the two choices. However I'd happily recommend the Berghaus Munro. Certainly the best daybag I've owned.

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Thanks Copper_head I will look at those.

Is that the Berghaus Freeflow 25+5? That looks a great piece of kit and was on my original list but stuck with what I knew. I might take a look at that one too.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I have just looked at the Munro and its very similar to my old Nomad although without the side pockets. The back piece on that was really bad at making my back sweat although it was a very comfortable pack.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have the sabre 25, & its a great little pack, holding far more than its litre size would lead you to believe. I also have an old sabre 30, which is a great size, & very similar to the munro.
Rob

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I got a Sabre 25 very recently. I have taken it out a few times and am very impressed. I basically wanted a pack that I could take out when I go for a decent ramble with the dog that would hold a reasonable amount of kit but was not as large as my Munro. Even though it does not have an internal frame, I find it very comfortable; more so than the Munro in fact. It seems a well thought out durable pack. I had been looking around for a while to replace a old Berghuas pack that is at least 20 years old and ideally wanted a traditional pack with two side pockets that was about 20 to 25 litres. No one seems to make them any more though! After, considerable looking I decided on the Sabre 25. As commented above I would say it is a generous 25 litre pack. For extended walks especially if you take children it is a good pack to easily get things out of quickly and the side pouches hold a NATO water bottle very well. Thus far I am very pleased. I opted to get it in the Coyote Tan which also made a nice change from having everything in olive green.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE