Bike Light / Torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Is it possible to use a hand torch as an effective off road bike light? Nothing extreme just farm tracks / canal paths etc. Ive seen a few mounting kits but my concern is you would end up with something that wasnt as good as a light that is specifically designed for the purpose.

so does any one have any experience in this matter and can they make any recommendations - budget wise im looking under £80 ish.

cheers

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Have a look at chainreaction cycles, I got a bike light from them and the light comes off and used as a torch

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I use 2x maglites strapped to front with ranger bands, I can see where im going now, i tend to have multiple rear lights and a yellow high vis bib from pound shop

Al

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
The cree head torches recommended on here are good. A magicshine MJ808 can be had from DX, or fleabay with helmet mounts.

Personally i dash through the singletrack around here using a couple of these , one through bungie loops on the helmet, one on a bar mount. They're not as bright as some of their more expensive brethren, but they do the job at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Been out tonght on my mountain bike round the woods for a few hours

solarstorm x2 on the bars and a sunwayman v20c on my helmet

the twofish lock blocks are very good, I use one on my road bike for mounting a fluxient U2 mini

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've been using Fenix torches for years. The LD20 is very good.

IME, these are tougher than 'bike lights' and the only disadvantage is that there is no beam shaping. It is really important to point the beam down so you don't dazzle anyone coming the other way. Of course this isn't such an issue off-road.

My current setup is two torches, using the Fenix bike mount. This allows me to have one torch (on low/medium setting) pointing down and on all the time. The other one is on a high setting and is for illuminating what is coming up. Then I can 'dip' my lights by just switching one off.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Is it possible to use a hand torch as an effective off road bike light? Nothing extreme just farm tracks / canal paths etc. Ive seen a few mounting kits but my concern is you would end up with something that wasnt as good as a light that is specifically designed for the purpose.

so does any one have any experience in this matter and can they make any recommendations - budget wise im looking under £80 ish.

cheers

I use a Lenser torch (sorry, can't remember model, but it takes 4 x AAs) + a bike mount; this one in fact, and from this supplier: http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/led-lenser-cycle-range/led-lenser-p7-and-t7-bike-mount.html

I find it works very well, and is brighter than all the other dedicated bike lights I've used in the past.

(I've found Torch Direct to be a good, reliable supplier as well - no connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
see... thats like the one i was looking at on the heinnie site. which is why i was asking. figuring i could work a bit of multipurposeability into the equation.

then i saw the cheaper almost equally powered options... still - christmas time soon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE