Airsoft what is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Wook;1487118 would you be happy for your teenage kids to get into a new sport called "Stabsoft"? They're not really running around perpetrating knife massacres after all ;)[/QUOTE said:
Of course I was when our eldest took up reenactment, made him a shield and a breastplate and helped acquire rebated weapons. Whole family involved and I take great pleasure in shooting blunt arrows at armoured knights.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Of course I was when our eldest took up reenactment, made him a shield and a breastplate and helped acquire rebated weapons. Whole family involved and I take great pleasure in shooting blunt arrows at armoured knights.

Well, can't say fairer than that. I wish you the best.

Clearly we have different views on this matter, but the last thing I would want to do is restrict your ability to live your life and raise your kids the way you see fit.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
You seem to be of the opinion that this hobby involves kids and toys and that the users are playing with them.

If you look at what I wrote, I said no such thing.

I've got mixed feelings about airsoft. On the one hand, playing with realistic replicas sounds appealing in a land with ridiculously strict gun laws. On the other I feel strongly that guns are not toys and I would not be willing to point even an imitation gun at someone in fun.

I'd be quite happy blasting paper targets with a real AR15 were I allowed one, but I doubt I'd enjoy shooting a plastic M4 at another human. I'd be quite happy owning real firearms, and I'd even enjoy teaching my kids to use them. I am however very strict that they are not allowed to pay with toy guns. I believe it fosters bad attitudes. Still, different strokes and all that.....
Maybe I was mistaken, but there is mention of playing, toys and Kids in your reply...In my head I saw "Kids" "Toys" and "Playing". As I said, I was probably mistaken and read to much into your reply.

xylaria

I like shooting people with larp arrows. It is the only practice on a moving target an archer can get. I was never one for the all the play acting I always felt a bit of a div being the maiden wildenbirtha of the forest clan. Fighting with latex weapons all day and drinking out of tankers at night great fun.

There is an airsoft lot in swansea. The bloke that runs it is ex para and built like you wouldn't pick a fight with him, nice bloke. I have met the odd airsoft guy that come over as obnoxious walts. You get muppets in any hobby,even bushcraft.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Maybe I was mistaken, but there is mention of playing, toys and Kids in your reply...In my head I saw "Kids" "Toys" and "Playing". As I said, I was probably mistaken and read to much into your reply.

You're right, I did say those things. I apologise for saying I didn't.

What I meant was that I didn't perceive airsoft as being a kids thing - I was talking about something else at that point. I did perceive it as "playing with toy guns" however. If you say this is inaccurate, I'll defer to your experience in the matter as I have none. In any case it isn't the "playing" aspect that bothers me. What bothers me is learning habits and attitudes to something that looks like a gun, feels like a gun and has the same controls as a gun that are not conducive to good gun safety when what you're holding actually is a gun.

Of course, if you don't plan on ever owning real firearms, I suppose it is a non-issue. I do plan on owning real firearms at some point, hence my caution.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
You're right, I did say those things. I apologise for saying I didn't.

What I meant was that I didn't perceive airsoft as being a kids thing - I was talking about something else at that point. I did perceive it as "playing with toy guns" however. If you say this is inaccurate, I'll defer to your experience in the matter as I have none. In any case it isn't the "playing" aspect that bothers me. What bothers me is learning habits and attitudes to something that looks like a gun, feels like a gun and has the same controls as a gun that are not conducive to good gun safety when what you're holding actually is a gun.

Of course, if you don't plan on ever owning real firearms, I suppose it is a non-issue. I do plan on owning real firearms at some point, hence my caution.

I play airsoft regularly and the guns are classed as a toy but also as a RIF (realistic imitation firearm) and it is playing around with guns so if you consider it as playing with toy guns then your right.
However there's a lot more too it. It's tactical and a very controlled and very simalar to a real sinario if you play mill sim (military simulation)
gun safety is a huge part of airsoft more so than at a clay shoot in some respects. As you are going to use the gun to shoot at someone. There are safe zones where guns are de maged and emptied then triple checked. That doesn't happen in a gun club. Where it's common for people to drink from hip flasks and use a gun that would easily kill someone.
I have shot all my life, shot guns and rifles airgun a and used a fac rifle. My gun safety is probably better than most peoples.
Us like minded people go into wood land to practise bushcraft, we use knifes and axes and we also mess around and have fun that doesn't mean that we are running around with knife as knife safety comes into play.
Racing car drivers don't drive a car at 200mph on a public road they can but they don't because humans are more complex than that making us about to do the same task but use different principles.
In short I completely disagree with you it doesn't teach you bad habits it teaches you a different disapline. I can see why you think the way you do, but I think it's not actually the case. Before it's said there always an exception to the rule, just as there is with anything ( there's always some idiot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I was alluding to its versatility, fresh ideas lead to innovation.

I see what your saying I got confused when you mentioned Sumunition I misstook the concept for the product.

Simunition uses real guns - airsoft toys are only realy similar in external appearance and dont realy train effective technique - some organization are using them as part of training but more as a cost cutting exercise/to get round firearms restrictions in certain senarios of training

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
But as I said earlier, this is just my opinion. If airsoft gives you pleasure, have at it. You don't require my endorsement.

I've never done Airsoft - paintball and laserquest were good fun though. Do you play computer games with shooting in at all? Where do you draw the line?

Anyhow

Here's that article

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Confident_Capable_Boys.pdf
Images and ideas gleaned from the media are common starting points in boys’ play and may involve characters
with special powers or weapons. Adults can find this type of play particularly challenging and have a natural
instinct to stop it. This is not necessary as long as practitioners help the boys to understand and respect
the rights of other children and to take responsibility for the resources and environment. As the EYFS states:
“Value play which is based on characters, such as superheroes who may mean a lot to children, even if
you do not appreciate them yourself!” (EYFS card 4.3 Learning and Development) Creating situations so that
boys’ interests in these forms of play can be fostered through healthy and safe risk-taking will enhance every
aspect of their learning and development

See the list of references at the end too
Holland, Penny (2003) We Don’t Play With Guns Here, London Open University Press

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
A flight simulator on a computer is quite different to the real thing, but it is still called a simulator

Combat simulation is not all about shooting the gun, think fitness, team work, stealth and so on. Have you ever seen pictures of soldiers being trained with wooden guns?

In the UK airsoft is used to train people for VIP protection by trained ex special forces, the live firing exercises have to be done in a different country, so airsoft is the best way to train in the UK.

For those of us who are never going to see real combat, its a fun way to get out to the woods and get some exercise. I do not think it trivialises guns or gun crime, in fact it gives me a greater respect for the damage that can be done with fire arms.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Being hit with an airsoft pellet bloody hurts. They can draw blood at close range but even from 30+m away they sting like hell, even through clothing.

Fun game, though, but some go a bit over the top with kit, IMHO

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I can remember going head to head (Or should that be barrel to barrel) with an Officer on my 6 weeks basic at RAF Swinderby "Military Field training" course with both of us using real SL Rifles loaded with Blanks, and I am talking feet apart firing not the "recommended" 25mtrs, using single aimed shots...

Certainly not "Playing" but they were certainly real rifles, and we were firing blanks which at that range could cause real injury at close range... He did of course pull rank and claim me as a "Kill" with the marshalling staff...

I think the military call it "Manoeuvres" and they happen quite a lot...but they "shoot" at people who aren't even the enemy using real weapons not plastic lookalikes...I don't think it is called playing though ;)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Well indeed wingstoo, but they are professionals training to kill for real. Civilians coudn't get in on real military excercise for love nor money, they're just too dangerous. Soldiers are regularly killed on these exercises. I recall hearing of one incident where the flash deflector they install on the end of the barrel came away and was launched into someone. Don't know if they were killed, but I can't imagine it was fun.

Even in the military, "pointing guns at actual people" training is pretty unusual because it is so dangerous. For the most part it is paper targets either on a range or a "shoot house".

Don't get me wrong - I can see the appeal of airsoft, and I can see I'm on the losing side of this particular argument. I can see the merit all of your points - particularly the one about gaming. For many years I was an avid 1st person shooter player, and if airsoft is looked at as a live action version of that I can see how you compartmentalise your thinking about it as seperate from "actual combat". That hadn't occured to me.

To that end I retract my objections. I will say though, if I wanted to engage in a semi-realistic war game, my preference would be for real action markers rather than airsoft. Lower environmental impact for one thing, unless you use biodegradable bbs. I still don't think it is my cup of tea though.

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
That is one thing that does have me thinking though, paint ball is bio-degradable, and plastic bb's aren't, but maybe even that is better in a way than lead pellets from those shooting 12 bore, 20 bore, 410 over water and land which isn't under tight control when "Playing" (Clay shooting, Wild fowling, Practical SG for example) Unless they are now using steel pellets that is.

I saw a BFA (Blank Firing Adaptor) come off one of the SL Rifles and travel a good 25mtrs, luckily the lad who was firing at another Airman at the time wasn't a good shot and missed him, but it was after that when I went head to head...

Yes, people (usually servicemen) do get killed on training activities, but rarely from shooting blanks, they tend to use live ammunition on the camps near to where I am...;) And sometimes (rarely) they get it wrong and someone gets hurt.

More often they get injured or killed doing something very different to shooting at each other on the "Manoeuvres" transport and jumping out of planes for example.

I can certainly understand the POV of people looking in from the outside with Airsoft activities, but better they are out there doing something both physically and mentally challenging than sat around doing little.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I see what your saying I got confused when you mentioned Sumunition I misstook the concept for the product.

Simunition uses real guns - airsoft toys are only realy similar in external appearance and dont realy train effective technique - some organization are using them as part of training but more as a cost cutting exercise/to get round firearms restrictions in certain senarios of training

I used the 9mm paintball in Denmark with their diemaco's, it was good fun. Live firing execises are the surest way to test you skills. Having watched room clearance with sim rifles, the drills were slick safe and steady.
Cost cutting isn't the problem, skill fade leads to trouble.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I used the 9mm paintball in Denmark with their diemaco's, it was good fun. Live firing execises are the surest way to test you skills. Having watched room clearance with sim rifles, the drills were slick safe and steady.
Cost cutting isn't the problem, skill fade leads to trouble.

And a very potentially dangerous fast track to discovering lack of adequate training in others on the same range. Must be used with extreme caution, although I agree completely with what you are stating.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Airsofted for years, grown out of it now tbh, i moved onto bushcraft and didn't go back :D
basically airsoft is a mil-sim game of tag similar to paintball but sometimes crossed with tactical situations to add realism.
many people make many things out of it.
for me it was about a good day out with the guys, adrenaline and flashbangs, stories about assaults and wading through smoke to shoot up the opfor (opposing force)
some make it more about the kit and will go to extreme (i do mean extreme) lengths to get very expensive stuff to emulate the looks of whatever it is they're copying whether that be a german soldier, to vietnam soldier to modern soldier or computer games and films (seen a few guys as a USMC Marine from Aliens)

if you get the chance give airsoft a go, pop along to your local site with some friends and see what you think, although the weapons look real outside on the inside they resemble an electric car, same motors, gears and batteries used throughout.
however due to their realism they are legally restricted, the law currently states that even if you have a class 1 firearms licence you cannot legally own an airsoft gun or "replica imitation firearm" as they're known. UK law, nuff said. with the exception of clear plastic or 50% painted bright colours to show it is in fact fake.
i could go into detail but it'd be good bedtime material, suffice to say its long winded.
Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE