Sheep shears knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Inspired by another tread here I finally got around to playing with the busted sheep shears I acquired years ago....
I forgot to take photos of the WIP but here it is - all but finished!
The blade I chose to work with was the worst of the two (get it wrong on stuff that does not matter in the first try!) with a broken off tip and several cracks in the remaining end and in the handle... this required much regrinding, which was done on my belt grinder keeping the blade cold with a constant dipping into cold water. The handle was cut from the spring and the folded bit between handle and blade was removed using he cutting disk on an Aldi Dremmel clone.
The profile of the blade is weird - hollow one side and Sabre grind the other - so this is what I tried to follow even with the reshaped blade, which proved "interesting.
I found a couple more flaws in the steel as I ground the edge but they look fairly stable...
The handle was made from a seasoned Hazel pole, shaped to fit the shears handle and was fixed to the metal with resin and charcoal glue (once the steel had been de-rusted using the vinegar bath and wire brush method) and bound on with rawhide.
In the photos the rawhide is still drying but I have already put a razor edge on the blade - it slices free-hanging newspaper with ease.
As the knife is intended to look primitive I am leaving the scratches and pitting as they are but once the rawhide is fully dry it will get a good waxing to stop any rewetting and stretching.
I am thinking of making a thonged rawhide sheath or rawhide lined sheath for the knife with a primitive lokk to it :)002.jpg006.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The finished "Primitive " knife :)
In the end I went for some "hair-on" leather with a welt construction, sewn with artificial sinew with a twisted thong side belt loop - none of my Rawhide bits was big enough for a full sheath or liner!
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a tidy bit of work Mr Fenna, finished item really looks good. Have you had a wee play with it outside 'round camp yet? Be interesting to hear how you get on with it (maintenance included, with that odd grind).

Pleasure to see,
GB.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The sheath was made with the knife doing the cutting and after a bit of whittling the edge is still razor sharp so it seems to hold an edge OK. Accurate cuts seem easy enough - despite the odd grind - and it is fairly comfortable in the hand... all in all a decent enough tool :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE