Crusader cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Hi guys I fancy the Crusader cup and bottle so I can carry some water without needing to find old bottles of water lying around the house and also I want the crusader cup so I can ditch the mess tins etc and just use it for eating out of too.

Is there anything else I should look at before getting one?? cheaper alternatives or that?

Thanks

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
Maybe get a lid as well, they are sometimes in the makers section or sales threads or a few companies do them. Otherwise they are great

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Only downside to the crusade is that it does weigh a ton. I'm not sure there are lighter options that are as compact, or as durable. But it is something to be aware of.

J

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Other option is the Dutch mug and bottle. Mug is a wee bit smaller but just as well built.
I prefer the Dutch mug but the 58 bottle.
Another alternative is the Tatonka handle mug and a Nalgene bottle. Its all down to personal preference in the end.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't buy a plastic lid - they are absolute rubbish - steel only - get one from Launditch1 of this parish - or Warthog - accept not substitutes!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
the crusader set is ok if you don't mind the weight and don't have plans to fry eggs in it. I like the plastic bottle because it is lighter than SS and quite durable.
the cup/bottle is a great setup for water boiling, and instant dehydrated meals.
from the research I have done, the plastic lid wasn't designed for the steel cup, it was designed for the 'drinking cup' only. my set has both and while the drinking cup is plastic, it works fine for all my needs. I've even used it for morning oatmeal. :)

IMO, one thing BCB should do, is work on a much lighter titanium version. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
From what I have been told the plastic lid was designed so that vehicle crews could turn their MOD plastic mugs into "sipper cups" and avoid having their brew spill if the road was rough....not sure if it is true but it is the only use to which I would put the plastic lid!
When using it on the metal mug I have had the plastic lid jam tight (due to the metal/plastic expanding at different rates in the heat?) making it difficult to stir my food with a burned dinner as a result.
I made an alu lid for my metal mug by drawing thearound the cup rim onto a block of MDF to make a form, then battering a sheet of aluminium over the form with a ball pien hammer. The sides were levelled on my belt grinder and a hazel button handle fitted. Later I drilled 3 small holes in the lid to make it double as a strainer when prepping pasta/noodles/rice.
The first attempt was a bit "rough" but the second is in regular use.
Neither model took more than half an hour to make :)
mug lid inside.jpgversion 1

cockney greg

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2014
London E17

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
You can easily make a lid using an old foil pie dish. The heavy duty alluminium foil roasting trays trays are also good.cheap as chips as well as compact.

pwb

Not too hard to make your own lid for whatever cup you end up with .
Like John I made a wooden former and just used a hammer to beat an edge on to sheet metal around it then screw or rivet on a handle... job done :) .
I was inspired by the lids Warthog made here and so far have made lids for seven or so different types of container out of heavyish aluminium, even did one for a large brit issue mess tin recently.

Pete.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Great mug and bottle combo, heavy but will take the knocks. Get or make a lid, it will reduce cooking time by quite a bit.

smash_tuna.jpg

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE