frying pan with a removable handle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Years ago I had a frying pan with a removable handle. I can't find mine and want another. The handle could be put on across the pan for transportation.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I take the plastic handle off a cheap non-stick pan and carve another one out of wood. As the fit is tighter, it stays in reasonably well.

The original handle can be used too. Replacing the mounting bolt with a bolt with a thumbscrew also works well for me.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I cut the plastic handle off a cheap non-stick pan leaving just a stump so that it is easily packable. It still works OK but needs to be gripped with a bandanna. I found that getting on old piece of tubing to fit over the stump makes a satisfactory detachable handle.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Cheers guys, the one I had was plain steel, the handle was held on with a wing nut and was made out of steel too. Daft thing os I have seen one ona site in the last few months but didnt pay any attention to the name as I thought I still had mine.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Try tkmaxx. If you check out some of my back posts, you can see a frying pan i got from there that has a folding handle.

Rob

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
http://www.muurikka.se/grid-portfolio/muurikka-stekpanna-utan-skaft-23-cm/

A lot of the suggestions seem to be non-stick. I would have thought, if you're cooking on a fire, it will be a bit hot! After watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen on PBS where they reviewed non-stick, I'm a bit wary of getting them very hot, they give off all sorts of nasties, and should only really be used at moderate temperatures, or so they said.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Outwell Feast frying pan I have is very good... I don't know if they sell it on its own but I got the large one for family camping and it is big and has a handle that unscrews.
For regular camping I cannot rate the Primus litech pan highly enough.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
http://www.muurikka.se/grid-portfolio/muurikka-stekpanna-utan-skaft-23-cm/

A lot of the suggestions seem to be non-stick. I would have thought, if you're cooking on a fire, it will be a bit hot! After watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen on PBS where they reviewed non-stick, I'm a bit wary of getting them very hot, they give off all sorts of nasties, and should only really be used at moderate temperatures, or so they said.

Very true, you can't get them hotter than 230c for PTFE (Teflon) non stick. IME though, that's too hot for cooking most things. The slight faff of having to use wood or plastic spoons in them and making sure they don't get too hot is more than made up for by the ease of cleaning in the field and no need to season. The low weight and low price is a bonus.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Have been using one that is made in China. Made of plain steel it is very inexpensive (10$), Treated the steel pan with heat and lard as a coating. Cut the handle in half, that is a half tube of the same steel composition. Had the cut of section rewelded to form a tube that will have a ranch used to extend the grip. The handle also has a hole drilled through it ti allow a nail or screw to stabilized it. The pan is deeper than most to allow more versatile options

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
These bush pans are quite good: http://www.campingwithsoul.co.uk/cooking/pots_and_pans/carbon_steel_bush_pans - I got given the smallest one for my birthday. Once seasoned it's fairly nonstick. The handle isn't very comfortable to hold for a long time, and is held on with a couple of wing nuts, so not sure who it will perform long term. That said, I'm really happy with it, works well on fires and feels very solid. The 48cm Muurikka with its removable legs does look very useful too.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
MSR Alpine Frying pan, stainless with excellent removable (wire) handle. I've used mine as pan, plate, shovel and base plate for a stove.

+1 on the msr frypan.
I also sometimes use the lid from an alpine set. its' a bit awkward to use at first when you first use the 'gripper', but it works fine for 1-2 people. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE