Build your own Cabin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Interesting, thanks.

Just a thought - if you wanted a cabin then surely it costs a lot more to buy all the materials/hire the machinery than it does to just buy a kit or ready made one? I appreciate that there will be an element of pride in doing it yourself from scratch, and also that it will probably be slightly better made, but still...genuine question BTW

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Well, I bought a cheap 6'x8' shed for sub £300. Its crap, you certainly get what you pay for as its been up for 2 years and I'm surprised its still standing. I would have been better building one and I priced up 2nd hand scaffolding boards last year, and the cost wasn't too bad.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well, I bought a cheap 6'x8' shed for sub £300. Its crap, you certainly get what you pay for as its been up for 2 years and I'm surprised its still standing. I would have been better building one and I priced up 2nd hand scaffolding boards last year, and the cost wasn't too bad.

How much were you looking at for the planks. I have found the materials to be shockingly expensive. Our cousins over the pond have it good when it comes to cheap timber.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I got 4 x 2.4m long planks for about £12 from reclamation yard in Leeds. I found them on ebay, and he had piles of them then, it was about Sept last year.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I got 4 x 2.4m long planks for about £12 from reclamation yard in Leeds. I found them on ebay, and he had piles of them then, it was about Sept last year.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Will have a google and see if there are any nearby.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I have priced up building my own and one from a kit - the build you own is alot cheaper or it did work put that way for me. A couple of grands worth of supplies should get a decent size where the kits are five grand upwards.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've built timber framed houses, old folks homes and transportable lodges.

I still don't have enough money for a plot of land to put them on. Well I suppose I could if I sold my current house but that's not happening too soon.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Every cabin needs a outhouse.
My dad taught me a very important rule, females rarely use chemical toilets. Gravity tank filled from gutters linked to cistern and basin =happy femmes.
Reed bed is ideal for waste disposal.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
WAs always going to Build a Hexagonal Log cabin from an old Book I had as a kid very material efficient lots of Floor space and idea for a center chimney for Central heating ;)

It's not that efficient on materials in my opinion, all the cuts are at funny angles so take longer than on a square and the roof takes ages longer, plus if you plan on putting guttering on it there's loads of cuts to get that done as well. Then every bit of off the shelf furniture works better with 90 degree corners so there's a fair bit of wasted internal space.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Timber kit lodges have always been popular oop north:confused: To have the knowledge, building your own with the right plans is the challenge. I saw two sheds with raised centre section, used as a temp home while thier new house was constructed. Small and simple looked snug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE