What to use instead or paracord for guy lines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Another plus one for 2mm dyneema or zingit. I like zingit because you can splice it, which I've done for my hammock tarp. With 2mm dyneema cord I use a double stopper at one end and a bowline at the other. If you can find 2mm hollow braid dyneema (SK75 or Marlow D12) you can splice that to. I use 2mm dyneema cord for my long guyline on my trailstar with some lineloks, all bought from backpacking light (except the trailstar).
Now you’re talking my kind.
I am looking into advice from all the replies, but this one sounds good
Digressing a bit, for what was the reason you spliced it? (tarp) just getting my tarp/hammock set up together and that’s why I want it, (should of stated in my first post really),) could this be used for whoopee slings? If you got some pics of your ridgeline set up that would be very helpful.
What’s your long Guy line?
Great replies thanks guys, keep em coming please.
Cheers
Bill

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
As a sailor, another vote for dyneema, keeps itself knotted and can take massive forces and jerks. Really very abrasion resistant too.

My only gripe with the stuff is the cost.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Just changed my guy lines to Dyneema really impressed with it. I haven't tried it with my figure 9's yet but with a falconers knot to the tarp and an adjustable to the peg it works great and certainly holds in a high wind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Now you’re talking my kind.
I am looking into advice from all the replies, but this one sounds good
Digressing a bit, for what was the reason you spliced it? (tarp) just getting my tarp/hammock set up together and that’s why I want it, (should of stated in my first post really),) could this be used for whoopee slings? If you got some pics of your ridgeline set up that would be very helpful.
What’s your long Guy line?
Great replies thanks guys, keep em coming please.
Cheers
Bill
I spliced the zingit on my hammock setup, mainly for neatness and to stop it fraying. Apparently it won't melt like paracord, so I back spliced one end and put a locked brummell loop on the other. My long guy line for the trailstar is {should be 1.5mm} dyneema cord (braid) ie sk75 core with a jacket, for this I've used a double stopper knot at one end and a bowline at the other. It's 3m long and threaded through a linelok, very light compared to the supplied 4mm? nylon cord that came with the trailstar. For my hammock tarp (warbonnet mamajamba) I use zingit for the 4 guy lines and 2 5m long ridge line cords, one on each end as per Warbonnet web site. These I either pass around the tree or Prussick to a separate ridge line, I use a farrimond hitch for that or just a plane old tarp hitch. If I'm using a fixed ridge line then I use 2mm dyneema cord, I got from evil bay or I experimented with a SLS setup that I saw on hammock forums, for that I got some Amsteel blue from ukhammocks and spliced it to create whoopies at both ends. I wish I had some pictures, as it would perhaps be a lot clearer! If you check the hammock forums site and search on 'headshed' you should see some hammock setup pictures, a discussion on splicing and the SLS suspension. Hope all that helps.

Last edited:

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Sash window cord is pretty good. You can either get the old fasioned stuff or the nylon.
Eithers good and usually pretty strong if you need to tie somethig down tight.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been using the cord that J has offered in the group buy for a few years as paracord replacement, fantastic stuff.

I also use Stein Dyneema throwline for anything that I use Dutch Flyz with-a hollow braid is needed for it so the outer jacket doesn't get cut.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
Hi all
The title says it all really
What have you found that is as good as paracord or better, and holds a good knot, dont want that slippy nylon stuff. its for tarps ridgelines and guy line etc
Cheers
Bill

hey Bill, is there a specific reason you don't like paracord?
I used to use it all the time, but moved onto 3/32" tactical paracord. its' still pretty strong rated at 275lbs, and half the weight/bulk. :)
http://www.shoprobbys.com/275-Tactical-332-Paracord-100ft_p_228.html
IMO, it works great for shelters and misc tasks, and is slightly cheaper.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Some interesting replies here, though I'll confess I don't really see why dyneema and its relatives are good for guy-lines. I've always thought that having a little stretch would be a good thing to avoid stressing the tarp / tent / whatever in sudden gusts. You get that with paracord, but not so much with dyneema. Am I missing something?

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Sorry for late reply but yes got mine from Jimmy green. good stuff

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I still don't get it. Adding shock cord negates all the advantages that you get from using dyneema in the first place. The shock cord adds weight, reduces strength and becomes a single point of failure by introducing another knot, splice or other connection.

I'm not tottaly sure but common sense would say using the shock cord prevents the tarp from over stressing and doing damage to the seams and prolongs it in general also remains in shape in fairly strong winds I should think. A lot of people do it that way and to be honest I'm probably going to go down that route too. Knots and connections can be just as strong if not often more so than the materials strength it self if done properly so that wouldn't worry me in the slightest also dyneema ridge lines prevent sag when wet which again keeps the over all shape of the tarp as opposed to para cord which sags quite a bit esp when used a lot.. It's personal preference but it makes absolute total sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm not tottaly sure but common sense would say using the shock cord prevents the tarp from over stressing and doing damage to the seams and prolongs it in general also remains in shape in fairly strong winds I should think. A lot of people do it that way and to be honest I'm probably going to go down that route too. Knots and connections can be just as strong if not often more so than the materials strength it self if done properly so that wouldn't worry me in the slightest also dyneema ridge lines prevent sag when wet which again keeps the over all shape of the tarp as opposed to para cord which sags quite a bit esp when used a lot.. It's personal preference but it makes absolute total sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed.

Ill try and post some pics tomorrow of my superfly that friend kitted out for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE