Trangia vs pop can stoves: Ultralight weight alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Behold the future of super light alcohol stoves. It's super light but might need a few refills to get a brew going. It uses a couple of old tea lights and weighs in at about 2g.

musyse5a.jpg
unaryga5.jpg

I made it as a bit of a joke but actually found it performed pretty well! Burn time about 2 mins max though.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
so did a few measurements for you.

The sigg bottle stove weighs 40g. pans can add a lot to it, I get up to nearly 700g with the Czech mess tins.

set myself a challenge to get a sub 200g stove set with a pan, stove, cup and bowl.

ejumejym.jpg

came up with an old hi gear single person cook set, 180g with the burner.

vy7e6u2e.jpg

Will boil about 2 mugs of water, has a small cup, bowl and a lid. about 12x5 cm packed.

Last edited:

Purgatorio

Jan 9, 2014
The Netherlands
vuzetese.jpg

The cookset i used for this weekend. Two days with fuel, 276 grams.
Boiling water for each day, two cups of coffee in the morning, evening: freeze dried meal and two cups hotdrink, choco, tea or coffee.

Setup: snowpeak 900 cup with homemade lid, from windscreen aluminium.
Trail designs ti- cone cone as a windscreen/potholder.
Gramchecker esbit burner
No brand folding cup
Sea to summit titanium long spoon (to reach the bottom of the freeze dried meals.
72 gram esbit.
3x4 gr for coffee, 600 ml
3x4 gr for evening meal 600 ml
3x4 gr for hot evening drink 600 ml
Total of 9x4 gr = 32 gr per day. 64 gr for 2 days.
2x4 gram reserve.
For water below 5 degrees celcius i count 4 gram extra per 600ml.
Which would add 16 grams. Per day.
With 77 grams extra i add the ti-inferno insert, 2 grids, 2 pegs, to make my cone a full woodgas stove.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
vuzetese.jpg

The cookset i used for this weekend. Two days with fuel, 276 grams.
Boiling water for each day, two cups of coffee in the morning, evening: freeze dried meal and two cups hotdrink, choco, tea or coffee.

Setup: snowpeak 900 cup with homemade lid, from windscreen aluminium.
Trail designs ti- cone cone as a windscreen/potholder.
Gramchecker esbit burner
No brand folding cup
Sea to summit titanium long spoon (to reach the bottom of the freeze dried meals.
72 gram esbit.
3x4 gr for coffee, 600 ml
3x4 gr for evening meal 600 ml
3x4 gr for hot evening drink 600 ml
Total of 9x4 gr = 32 gr per day. 64 gr for 2 days.
2x4 gram reserve.
For water below 5 degrees celcius i count 4 gram extra per 600ml.
Which would add 16 grams. Per day.
With 77 grams extra i add the ti-inferno insert, 2 grids, 2 pegs, to make my cone a full woodgas stove.

Do you mind if I ask what that all cost?

Purgatorio

Jan 9, 2014
The Netherlands
Sure. The ti-tri caldera including the tibatan 900 ml pot and alcohol and esbit holder was a special offer from racelite.de for 125,- euro and 10,- for sending it. The
spoon 7,- euro the foldingcup 1,50 euro, the pot lid I made from a aluminium party tray, and a short piece of bicycle spoke. Which were saved from the trash.
The cone is rather expensive, but with a pot and for something a use and depend on for 2 times a day and gave me a choice for 3 kinds of fuel i thought i would try it. Allways a sort of guess but after many many uses i'm still happy with it.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Sure. The ti-tri caldera including the tibatan 900 ml pot and alcohol and esbit holder was a special offer from racelite.de for 125,- euro and 10,- for sending it. The
spoon 7,- euro the foldingcup 1,50 euro, the pot lid I made from a aluminium party tray, and a short piece of bicycle spoke. Which were saved from the trash.
The cone is rather expensive, but with a pot and for something a use and depend on for 2 times a day and gave me a choice for 3 kinds of fuel i thought i would try it. Allways a sort of guess but after many many uses i'm still happy with it.

the caldera cone is a great bit of kit, excellent design! just watching some videos on YouTube... I have stove envy...

I'm not sure. I was wondering the same thing. Same fuel and same amount. Now that I think about it tho, there was some junk floating around in the trangia, just some dirt that was in there. That is a possible cause, or maybe a build up of some sort of residue inside as it has been used a bit, whereas the pop can stoves were brand new. Just a thought.

Or it is some intrinsic thing about the way the pop cans are made compared to trangia.

Who knows!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
My trangia (genuine) was burning orange on bioethanol and meths when left uncovered. For a blue flame you need a pot to "cut off" the yellow part of the flame. When I was experimenting with DIY trivet I discovered that too much space between the burner ant the pot will give you soot.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Orange flame equils excessive soot due to the combustion being incomplete and thus dirty. A blue flame is achieved by the correct air fuel ratio. That's why if a pot is put on the burner it changes the air fuel ratio this is also achieved by lowering the pot close to the burner. In short it's trial and error. It's important that your burner is sealed around the lip. apart from the exhaust holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh nooooo, I've found myself sucked into the world of alcohol stoves...I'm not a gram counter by any accounts lol, but I was intrigued as to how they burn & thought it would be a good wee emergency stove to have if I find myself without fuel for my wildstove mk2 or if I'm literally just needing a brew - I've spent the day drinking Irn Bru and Red Bull to have a few different options to faff about with and try different models *twitch*

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Some great examples of homemade stoves there, thanks. I like the cheap sigg bottle type. I must have a go. For the past couple of years I having been using a Vargo triad xe stove and the vargo windshield. I really like it for day walks, I like the fact that you can use meths or hexy fuel. I don't think I would take it on a multi day trip though.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
The slickest, simplest alcohol stove I've seen to date. Truth be I've haven't tried it myself; just happened on the video today, but this is one I'll try shortly, if I can find an excuse to empty a beer can, or two.

http://vimeo.com/64726512

Why anyone would want anything else after seeing this I don't know. He uses one tool, a knife to make it. Genius. I can't see any drawbacks.

Tom___

Mar 3, 2010
N.Ireland
Hey guys, I'm trying to gather up my ten posts so I can post pictures, so I'm having a stove givaway..! They are one piece, rolled edge stoves. Very strong and VERY light, with pure silica wick for superfast bloom. Each one will be sent with an HDPE meths safe bottle. There are 6 to give away. First 6 to ask will receive...feel free to through a quid or so towards posting...

all the best...!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE