Bovril Cubes...what's going on?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We've started this over on BB, so I thought I'd bring it here too. Where have the handy cubes gone? They've been replaced by a Knorr type stock cube that is made to a different recipe and is 60% bigger.

The original cube was perfect for a single cup of drink, it was dry to the touch and crumbled easily. These new ones are more like a hard, greasy paste. The flavour is completely different, weaker with a nasty aftertaste. Plus, now they're bigger you either have to wrap the leftover bit back up into the greasy packet with your now greasy fingers, or throw it away. They also leave grease in your cup, the others didn't do this so a mug in a work van or pack didn't really need washing often.

i sent an email to Unilever, and spoke to someone on the careline today. He said this was kicking up a storm both at his office and on Facebook, and as a fan of the original cube, he wanted to see the back of this imposter as soon as possible.

So come on, this is a matter of national pride, we'll take it to Europe if need be :D

The careline number is 0800 0280174

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
There is a new 'reduced salt cube' but I am told the original 'stock cube' continues.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There is a new 'reduced salt cube' but I am told the original 'stock cube' continues.

Not as far as I've learned. None of the supermarkets keep anything other than the larger version now, though I suppose they're in charge of what they buy in.

The Unilever careline fella said he's a big fan of the original cube and hopes the decision would be reversed. There are even people on Amazon and eBay profiteering. The old cubes are around a fiver a box!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I want Bovril that's not "suitable for vegetarians"
Is that still available?

Been back on the shelves since the end of the BSE crisis when the beef was replaced with yeast extract. The new cubes contain 3% beef broth, no wonder they don't taste good! I haven't got an old packet of the others left, but they contained beef too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As well as Marmite :yuck:

Wash your mouth out!

Well, no, perhaps not....

Eat the yeasty goodness. I had as gifts this year

Marmite Cashews

and......................

Marmite chocolate (which ought to be all kinds of wrong...but is really nice...in the confused tongue kind of way that salt chocolate gives)

article-1316390-0B60217B000005DC-598_239x372.jpg

It could though, be worse!

marmite_vaseline.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know ? I love marmite. Not much can beat a slice of hard toasted Plain loaf spread with butter and marmite for comfort food :D

The thought of vaseline and marmite as a lipsyl though is utterly revolting :yuck:

As chocolate, it works :D :D

I haven't bought bovril cubes for HWMBLT in yonks; not really a fan of the waxy type ones, but oxo still do the salty square ones, I believe.
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Try the Marmite Cashews Mary - very moreish :)
They are very good :) so are the crisp packet size bags of mini ricecakes though :cool:

Y'know I struggle to eat dairy ? well I found that I can spread my crackers with humous with marmite stirred through it :D
The marmite goes a bit runny, but it works :D It's very, very good on baked spuds :)

I didn't know that oxo came in sachets :dunno: tbh, I just use marigold. That said I got some weird little herby stock cubes from knorr....every language but English on them :rolleyes: that himself liked. They were maybe 2/3rds of the size of a normal oxo cube. Dill, parsley, oregano.

There's something rather repulsive about one of the flavourings that is often used in 'meaty' flavour mixes. It's sometimes simply under the MSG label but, and the devil is in the detail, MSG can be both the stuff made from vegetable or fish, but the meaty flavour is enhanced by the addition of L cysteine, which is commercially produces from human hair and feathers.
E920

From wikipedia, since it's the quickest source I can find just now.
"Cysteine, mainly the L-enantiomer, is a precursor in the food, pharmaceutical, and personal-care industries. One of the largest applications is the production of flavors. For example, the reaction of cysteine with sugars in a Maillard reaction yields meat flavors. L-Cysteine is also used as a processing aid for baking."

The majority of L-cysteine is obtained industrially by hydrolysis of poultry feathers or human hair. Synthetically produced L-cysteine, compliant with Jewish Kosher and Muslim Halal laws, is also available, albeit at a higher price."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cysteine

It's also used in bakery products.
That it is controversial is shown by Warburton's clear statement, "Flour treatment agent (E920)
Warburtons use a flour treatment agent (E920) in some baked goods. The E920 that we use is synthetically produced through natural fermentation or enzymic processes using raw materials of vegetable origin or pure organic, non animal, compounds. All of our baked goods are 100% suitable for vegetarians."
Good of them to let folks know :)

Now all we need to suss out is which of the meaty stock cubes are actually meat, and not the digested sommat or other from the hair of Chinese women, and duck feathers ?

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
McVities digestive biscuits had their recipe changed but after consumer complaints they are launching 'Traditional' (original) recipe biscuits...why mess in the first place.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
We've started this over on BB, so I thought I'd bring it here too. Where have the handy cubes gone? They've been replaced by a Knorr type stock cube that is made to a different recipe and is 60% bigger.

i nearly posted this exact same thread, i don't like the new bovril cubes at all but loved the old ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE