Snugpak Softie 10/12 sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 17, 2013
Ireland
It's time I buy a few sleeping bag. The Snugpak Softie 10 is catching my eye with the -5/-10 rating and the 23x23 pack size. I can't see anything better atm.

Snugpak Softie 12 is looking good too for the extra 10-15GBP.

How do people feel about these bags?

I am looking for small 4 season bag. I do alot of hiking, bushcraft and wild camping ( hence not down due to the wet woods) so I'm looking for small and less then 2KG.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
from what I have herd Snugpak temp ratings are a joke to be honest, their rating are based on you being in thermals and dressed, that way their bags seem smaller for a given temp rating

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have the centre zip Merlin and the centre zips Special Forces bags, Excellent bags (all the temp rating in sleeping bags are just a guide).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
While I've not used one of those bags, I have the snugpack tactical 4 and would recommend it. I've used it in below zero in a hammock with no underquilt and got a full night's sleep with only a cold nose.

I think pretty much every sleeping bag is a little optimistic about their rating, but most of us seem to take that into account when buying.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Well sorry to go against all you say i would not buy a Snugpak they are merely branded generic bags as you will find if you own one Too heavy for the warmth value they provide Buy a down bag and a Bivvy bag and enjoy the comfort

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've got a softie 6 and can't fault it. I used it throughout my army days instead of the issued bouncing bomb and it was top notch. It is true that you'll need to be fully clothed in one though. I still use it now until winter comes then it's out with the down bag.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I have a 3,6 + a 9. Also have the expanda panels and a zipped baffle to join any two of the bags together.
I used the 9 last weekend at the NW meet and was toasty warm.
PREPER............. :)

Apr 17, 2013
Ireland
Well sorry to go against all you say i would not buy a Snugpak they are merely branded generic bags as you will find if you own one Too heavy for the warmth value they provide Buy a down bag and a Bivvy bag and enjoy the comfort

Have you had any trouble with a down bag on a raining weekend?

I always read down bag in the woods is a bad idea due to the humidity. I have a bivvy bag with me always, but I bivvy something through the year, so my concern is the down getting damp.

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Had a softie 6 kestrel out saturday night it says comfort 0 extreme -5. Got a bit cold tbh, think it was right on the limit as the weather was around 0. Looking at either trying my czech bed roll next (big and bulky) or potential bag upgrade/underquilt. Agree i used to use this in the army too instead of issued one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
I've got a Snugpack sleeper lite that i bought last year as my new Autumn bag, it's rated at a comfort of 0.
To be quite honest, I've not even used my winter bag this year as it's not been cold enough, but then I always use a micro fleece liner and a Gore-tex bivvy bag.
I'm a "ground dweller" so the bivvy bag is a must, the micro fleece liner is for practical reasons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE