How many poles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Quite right, 2 poles are a newish thing but recent studies have shown the imbalance 1 pole can cause. I can't remember which Uni did a study on them but it showed a reduction in efficiency when using just one pole.

I googled it a while ago after hurting my back a couple of times when lending one of my poles to a budddy. I do use my poles hard though-often putting all my bodyweight on them.

I'll see if I can find the study.
Not sure I buy that about single poles causing injury teepee.

Travelers have been carrying a single walking stave for thousands of years. Two at a time is a modern thing going back only a few decades.

You don't lean on them except when on rough ground or changing altitude, so the opportunity for single sided injury is limited.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i have my trusty walking staff. i get some odd looks from people when i'm not out in the wilds but otherwise all good.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a knackered ankle/foot from a 25-year-old injury plus a dicky hip from a childhood disease.

Two years ago I went up scafell pike+ back via the guides route with my kids, using one pole. The pole meant I could cope with the big step downs when my ankle/hip had had enough. I was in a great deal of pain after 5 miles or so.

Last year I did (most of) the Snowdon Horseshoe with my son. Used two poles. No pain. Used the poles to take the strain off my right leg; worked fantastically.

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Used to hate poles in the past, but they really help during descends and since I've got some problems with my knee from time to time it's better to prevent any injuries I guess, at the moment (depending on the terrain) I usually walk with my Hazel stuff, sometimes getting a weird look from people hehe.

Anyway, being a pole and using two poles, that makes me a human tripod - haha.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I used to think that walking poles were a gimmic, and not worth the weight. Then after a decent in Austria that left me in tears of pain, I went and bought a pair of poles the next day. Now when I go for a hike, I always take (and use) my poles. As for the hands free thing, I put my hands through the wrist loops, and then the moment I need the use of a hand, I just let go. Easy.

Walking poles, wouldn't hike without them.

J

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
One pole when in the mountains, none otherwise. Most often used to poke things or test boggy ground. Used to have a dodgy knee, but it seemed to cure itself after losing weight and regaining fitness. However, memories of a knee giving up on me once in the Massif d'Ecrins some years ago means I carry a pole for insurance. It does get a lot of use for levering me up when getting out out the tent or standing up under a too heavy pack though. My wife is still giggling from watching my "woodlouse on back " impression after I walked into a low branch and fell flat on my back in the Pyrenees last year. I had to use the pole to get back on my feet as she was laughing too much to help.

This thread reminds me of the riddle of the sphinx: "What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon and three in the evening?"

I might post the answer later if I need to!

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have two poles but I only use one, I tried using two but it just didn't feel right for me. I find the pole great when I am carrying a pack and I like the extra stability when crossing rough ground or going over stiles. I found it a godsend on walking the ridgeway some of the paths were very smooth chalk and when wet they were very slippy and it stopped me landing on my butt many times.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Talking of a pole poll; what are the poles that people use? I 'borrowed' one for my epic Ladhar Bheinn hike in Knoydart last year and was amazed just how much strain it too off my legs. So now I want to buy a pair but I'm not sure which to go for. I hear Pacer Poles are recommended but they look a bit bulky.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Talking of a pole poll; what are the poles that people use? I 'borrowed' one for my epic Ladhar Bheinn hike in Knoydart last year and was amazed just how much strain it too off my legs. So now I want to buy a pair but I'm not sure which to go for. I hear Pacer Poles are recommended but they look a bit bulky.

I'd recommend Pacers but they're not to everyone's liking, the grips put your hands directly over the ends of the poles rather than to the side like conventional grips. Most people I've lent them to have liked them but one or two haven't. I went for the alloy ones as I use them for shelter supports too, they're 650g for the pair compared to 500g for the carbons.

Some good reading on their website showing the theory behind them, and the reviews are quite convincing ..

http://www.pacerpole.com/

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Got mine from tkmaxx, 4yrs ago & they are still fine. Not cutting edge but a good starter price if you just want to try them out.

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This thread reminds me of the riddle of the sphinx: "What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon and three in the evening?"

I might post the answer later if I need to!

Man - baby - crawling
Childhood and youth - walking
Aged - WALKING WITH A STICK!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

Mine are made by Mckinley, I got them when in Austria, they are "Evolution Lite".

I have heard good things about Mountain King, and of course, Leki.

As always, YMMV.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE