Do you regularly forage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Berries and identifiable mushrooms for me. Thought I'd gathered a nice crop of horse mushrooms, wasn't sure so I checked there ID before cooking, good job to as they were yellow stainers. I know in the scheme of all things fungi there not particularly poisonous but I'm not taking the chance with the family!!

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I like to go out exploring, see what I can find. I do harvest from the wild, but only to supplement my kitchen staples, not to replace. I would love to be more involved, go out more and harvest more, but I just don't have those opportunities at the moment.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
good point as it's the guardian it'll be on London time!

We're in a cold spot here, quite localised, still snow lying on the pavements but none in the next village so used to adjusting times. Still it means as you travel about there's always something in season. I just with the vetch lasted longer as I love those little pea flavoured goodies in the summer, great wee snack.

DafVinci

Feb 18, 2014
Swansea/Ammanford
This is something I really want to learn as I have a very limited knowledge as to what is edible and what isn't.
So far it's mainly fruits/nuts and game ( rabbit,Pigeon, ) and fish that I forage/hunt for.

Hairy Steve

Feb 17, 2010
Cornwall
Cockles, mussels, clams, razor clams, the odd scallop and oyster, prawns, crabs, fish (mostly sea bream, bass, mackerel), lots of mushrooms (over 40 species tried so far, usually manage enough in the autumn to last about 6 months), crab apples for jelly, apples for drying and chutney, blackberries, wild plums, elder flowers/berries, lots of greens, sea weeds, firewood, and reclaimed fishing gear from the places the emits get snagged up most often!

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Whilst we are on this point, would a sticky thread be a good idea to have where we can have an input on what can be foraged and what is being foraged at the specific time of year, for example don't put berries in the post if you haven't or can't collect them at this time of year? Or maybe it already been done somewhere.

Someone do this please! I'm compiling a list of seasonal wild edibles atm because I missed out on so much stuff last year, but would be awesome if we all could post pictures as and when we find stuff first becoming available.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm using lever taps these days (my wrists won't work reliably without pain after Andrew's turned the others off :rolleyes:)

Interesting that the saps up already. Was it just water pressure on the roots though because of all the rain, or did it have that tiny wee taste of sweetness that really is the start of the sap rising ? Lots of buds, but not that many opening round here.
Definitely brighter though :) and the longer days are a pleasure :cool:

I'm watching the beech hedge and waiting for those first leaves; I want to try making Noyeaux this year :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE