bothy bag blizzard jacket or bag or felljerjen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark j lang

Apr 19, 2009
stroud
Hi Folks I walk a lot of hills had some bad weather experiences and want to upgrade my survival kit. need something that will keep me warm and enable me to survive the night. I use a bothy bag at the moment but wanted a more multi purpose emergency clothing or insulation/survival shelter approach. I would welcome your thoughts

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
My choice would be a blizzard bag / tube (not jacket) & synthetic duvet jacket. If you walk in a group add a bothy bag corresponding to the number in the group. If you walk on your own a Gore-Tex bivi might also be a better option than a bothy bag. The combination of a duvet jacket / blizzard bag should mean you can survive the night in relative comfort.

A bothy bag on its own doesn't provide any insulation. The blizzard kit is great but the bag / tube you can really get into unlike the jacket.

You might also consider synthetic duvet trousers depending on how you layer up leg wise. It's worth also considering a spare base layer, gloves & balaclava as an addition to your normal set up. I usually carry some compo biscuits and a couple of choc bars as extras. I also carry a decent headtorch & spare to minimise the chance of being benighted.

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The heat retention and space in 2 person bothy bag outweighs anything from a blizzard bag. It's windproof and waterproof and you can move about in it and take clothes on and off. You can't do that and stay out of the elements in a blizzard bag.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The heat retention and space in 2 person bothy bag outweighs anything from a blizzard bag. It's windproof and waterproof and you can move about in it and take clothes on and off. You can't do that and stay out of the elements in a blizzard bag.

I disagree, the blizzard kit is rated to two seasons - a bothy bag is just a Pertex shell which isn't waterproof only water resistant. The air space to warm up in a bothy bag is much larger than in a blizzard bag. The blizzard bag is also windproof & waterproof so your more likely to retain heat.

As I carry both a bothy bag & blizzard tube I can adjust my clothing before getting into the blizzard bag. We did some tests in the Cairngorms & found the temperature inside a bothy bag was 6 c warmer than outside but it's designed for protection not insulation.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
My bothy bags are pu coated nylon 5000mm hydrostatic head, there not pertex. You have to think why Mountain Rescue teams use them. Yes they are not insulating like a down jacket.

After pulling it over your head and sitting on the edge, it retains heat. It needs a vent due to them being so effective !

Buy what you need/want but don't discount the value in winter, of a bothy bag.

Mine are Trekmates brand, never seen a pertex one before.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I agree with some of the above posts; I have both a blizzard bag and a small bothy for use. In most previous hiccups, I've been plenty warm enough in just my clothing layers and a bothy pulled over the top and supported by walking poles. Having a rollmat or thermorest only ups the warmth as you can imagine.
I think the biggest 'help' is finding a suitable natural shelter foremost - by cutting out the wind and or rain makes a difference, sheep shelters are great for lying behind!
Along the Pembrokeshire coast a few years ago, I took refuge from the weather behind some concrete steps waiting for some adventure runners to be checked off en route; the blizzard bag was more than enough once out of the wind...

My only issue is I can never pack a blizzard bag away as good as when its been freshly vacuum packed in the factory!!:lmao:

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Have you looked at the Rab emergency bivi bags? They have some solid reviews and are made from pertex. Other things I would suggest are a spare primaloft jacket. Down is too risky in an emergency situation as it's useless wet. I've spent hours in my primaloft that has been soaked and remained nicely warm.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
On my own I would take a blizzard bag. I have one and it is a great safety aid.

I also have 2 x kisu (original design was a Karrimor Instructor Survival Unit) first one is multi person, can take 10 people and gets unbelieveably warm. Second is a 2 person. Really great for lunch as eellmas an emergency over night.

Personally though, for just me a top quality goretexnor event bivi bag, plus other kit, your chojce, but down has done me very eell, as has man made for the past 40 years, is the item to carry.

If bothying, when u turn and there is no space inside, a bivi bag is eorth its weight in gold. If in survival mode, ideal. If young foolish andb drunk, as I was on a numbef of occasions when young, my bivi and sleeping bag kept me alive on the tops, when I really should have known bettr than to go up late at night!

Alan l.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Speaking as someone who has spent unplanned nights out in bothy bags, I would NOT recommend a bothy bag for anything but short rest stops.

Overnight, at some point, one or both occupants want to stretch out and/or lie down, which is tricky to say the least.

Bothy bags are great for getting out of the wind, hence they feel warm, but you will eventually freeze in there and they do not remain watertight for long.

Your best strategy is always to get down off the high ground. To a pub, campsite or bus shelter, in order of preference :)

Assuming that you are forced to spend a night on the hill, nothing beats a cut-down foam mat (or an OMM style pad) with a bivvy bag (preferably goretex and zippered, the lightweight pertex ones just don't give the same protection) or blizzard bag or orange plastic survival bag if cost/weight is an issue.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2013
Helsinki
jerven bag
I have the thermo extreme, it's a great bit of kit it's a jack of all trades master of none really. I have slept in it, in just my thermals at around -3 to -5 and have been comfortable, you do get a bit of condensation in it but nothing serious.
I have used it as a jacket and sat in it in the rain and snow here in Finland and it was great. It kept me warm and dry, although being 5ft 6 it's a bit long to be able to walk in even when tied up. I have used it as a shelter in autumn with a wool blanket in an open swag style.
It's a great bit of kit very versatile, the problem is for each individual use, in each extreme condition e.g. Very cold temps, torrential rain, shelter etc there are better bits of kit available individually.
It comes in it's own stuff sack, which is a little bulky so hangs under my Bergen nicely. For me I think it will come into its own in winter camping when I use it as a cocoon for my hammock add to the system a 1 or 2 season bag and I will be good down to the -30 we Can get here in Helsinki.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE