Some cracking finds on a day walk in Cambridgeshire. Plus Fauna and Fungi ID test!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I had a cracking day out in the woods today. It was nice and warm and so sunny! It was like a beautiful spring day and really blew the cobwebs off. I wanted to get as it was such as nice day and I also wanted to test out my new DD 3X3 tarp. Managed to pitch it ok. Need more practice but happy with result. Will be so much better than sleeping in a tent.

I wanted to pay a little more attention to tracking foxes as I normally track deer and have gone about as far as I can. I found it really hard. Didn't see any prints. Smelled fox in various areas and saw some holes that looked like maybe dens. With more time I would get a trail cam up and see what results. If anyone has any advice for fox tracking that would help as I haven't found much in the way of videos or books that are specific to foxes. I did find lots of deer tracks. The wood is clearly prolific with Muntjac and Fallow. What I did find interesting were fewmets (droppings) that looked identical to Red Deer. I am familiar with Red Deer Fewmets. These I found were huge and much bigger than the Fallow ones. I suspect maybe they are old Fallow which have swollen over time, but they were distinctly differently shaped. To my understanding, the species tend not to mix and Red prefer coniferous and this was mixed broadleaf. I should've taken pics.

As I was walking around I spotted a bright white patch on the ground and knew instantly I had another skull to add to the collection. What a beauty. But then I realised that it isn't like the Munjac one I have. I took a minute but then I ID'd it. Checked when I got home and was correct. Can you ID?
12271340303_43c5dccc79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These fungus are prolific throughout the woods. Thousands of them. I know what they are. Can you ID? Perhaps say uses for it too?
12271337773_333c192772.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here I am looking really pleased with myself after a great days walk! This woodland is near Cambridge. 20 minutes drive outside of the City. If anyone is interested in a walk there feel free to contact.
12271194325_ea55dfc83e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Are they king Alfred cakes in the second pic? That skull is interesting ? No idea what it is...
Third pic I'm sure is a lesser spotted Leigh-us Robinsonosous. Only found in Cambridgeshire woodlands😄😉

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep all the fungi (as opposed to fun guy) are cramp balls / King Alfreds cakes. In my opinion the very best of the tinder fungi. I have had them catch a spark straight off the tree.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you take two of the cramp balls of roughly the same size and put a good bright ember from the fire into the hollow of one, then place the other one against it same way around and bind with a bit of cordage, the ember will stay "live" for a very long time - my record is 9 hours! I was able to get tinder going easily from one after all that time..................

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
That's interesting about putting the cramp balls together with an ember. Didn't know that. Not used them as a smokeless bbq either. Always learning something new!

Answers:
Daldinia concentrica - The inedible fungus Daldinia concentrica is known by several common names, including King Alfred's Cake, cramp balls, and coal fungus. According to Wikipedia.

Meles meles - The European badger. I didn't know what the skull was at first then I looked at the eye sockets and imagined some eyes in there. Too small for a deer. Then I imagined putting fur on the skull to match the eyes and it was recognisable then. Some of the teeth are missing. I assume they were eaten along with the rest of the carcass. The remaining teeth were pretty worn suggesting an older badger. I was amazed at how the lower jaw is socketed. With deer you don't tend to find the lower jaw. It just falls out and gets eaten by other animals. The badger jaw is a hinged, closed socket. So it would never fall out. Impressive bit of nature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE