Hammock Overnighter - Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
The snow has been receding and the wet weather is beginning to set in here, So, before the wind and rain comes down in full force, I decided I would get out for a night under tarp while I still could. Normally it would be no problem, except for this trip I wanted to sleep out in a hammock for the first time.

I’m quite lucky to have time even for a one nighter as whilst many people think ‘wwoofing’ is a cheap holiday, it actually usually involves 5-7 days a week of hard farm work. The farm we are currently posted at has a nice attitude, giving wwoofers plenty of time to adventure. So having spent all of last week felling and processing trees for firewood I figured I deserved a day or two off :)

Several farm duties kept me back, so I didn’t start off until late afternoon. I knew the weather was going to be pretty mild so I was fairly confident about hammocking. With a fully over laden pack, I set off up into the hills surrounding the farm.

Our farm is just behind the half-built barn with red van. It's the one with the white van outside. I didn’t know until later that Fionn was in that upstairs window waving while I took this picture.

Heading on up the beaten track. Picture taken looking back the way I had come.

After heading up through farmland I finally came to the start of my trail up into the spruce forest; the start of which being more of a climb than a hike.

Still some ice here and there, but most has gone in the past few days

Up and up

One of many gnarly trees

Pretty high up at this point, came across at least a dozen trees felled by the strong winds here. Either that or trolls...

After an hour of hiking/climbing I turned off the trail towards my spot

My home for the night. I came across this little clearing whilst hiking up here a few days ago and chose this spot for several reasons. One is wind; hiking up the edge of the hill I was nearly felled by the blasting wind, yet in this spot there was barely a breeze as I was surrounded by thick spruce. Another was snow. There were several other similar clearings I found on my previous ventures but all had a layer of snow on them. This one didn’t. Common sense told me those spots were cold spots, and this was slightly warmer.

After clearing all busy branches away I rigged up my dd 3x3 tarp and dd frontline hammock. Nothing fancy, I just tie my hammock up the same as I tie bootlaces.

I rigged a paracord line above the hammock, knocked two sticks into the fly net loops and attached them to the rigged line with thick elastic cord and carabiners. Dead simple.

I set up my honey stove for later, as I wanted to go for a hike, and knew I would be returning in the dark. Everything ready for the evening I set off further up the hill. The trail heads up through thick spruce forest with open thickets of birch. But once up the top it turns into my favourite terrain, large rocky crags, carpeted in between with grass and shrubs, all dotted with birch and the odd scots pine. Plenty of caves and gnarly trees to clamber over and in.

Also came across this old dyke bisecting the hill, must be some old cattle wall or land divider.

After a half hour of huffing and puffing trying to race to the top to catch the sunset, I finally get some amazing views over the mountains surrounding us :)

Sunlit view over Hasa, a neighbouring village. We usually drive through a tunnel through the mountain I’m on top to get through there.

Selfie to show what clothing I have been wearing for the past month. Fox outdoors arctic boots I bought for the winter, on the recommendation of Mad Dave. Well worth the money, great grip, incredibly warm, and the rubber is nice and flexible which is important for me. Not the best for hiking up a hill in mild weather, but I wanted them for when I am sitting around the fire at night to keep my feet toasty.
Askari loden wool trousers I bought in the bcuk craze a couple of years ago. These have been excellent in all weathers, can’t fault them. Merino base layers and an old Swedish wool jumper I bought for a fiver in a charity shop years ago in Scotland. Have stitched up 15 holes in it and added leather elbow patches to cover more holes and a leather patch around the back of the neck and it is still going strong! I also live in my Swedish snow smock but didn’t take it on the hike with me. ~

More nice views heading back down to my pitch.

I spent my evening sitting by my honey stove, brewing up tea, heating up sausages and knocking back a few cans of Cider in utter peace. I am always impressed with my honey stove. It is perfect to safely contain a small fire, enough to cook anything and heat one or two people. It had rained for two days prior to this, so I knew a forest fire from a stray spark was unlikely.

After a nice relaxing evening I hit the sack. I have no underblanket so I had two multimat compact lites under me, then my bison bushcraft shirt on top of those. I folded up my askari wool trousers and put them under my feet. Then tucked up in my snugpak tactical 3 with woollen Viking ren hat with fur ruff on, I was dead toasty.

Thoughts soon turned to tomorrow when I would hunt one of norways largest predators...the dreaded birch burl...

After a sound sleep I got myself up for breakfast (brew with a mackerel and tomato sandwich) and began to prepare myself for the trying day ahead. Hunting birch burls is no easy game, a thin line exists between success and shaming failure.

My prized tools are wearing well. With the pressure mounting as I sipped my steaming brew I would prepare. I sharpened my kukri and knife to a keen razor edge. I then carved myself a stout spear for the hunt....which incidentally blunted my knife, so I had to spend more time re-sharpening it, and then ritually burnt the spear in my honey stove fire. I would also bear the holy swiss army knife for its saw as I left my Laplander saw in Sweden on a previous hunt. Twas a strong loss to bear...

To protect me and bring me luck on the hunt I would wear my kuksa/trollcross charm my good friend Kat (Nightpheonix) made for me when I visited her over xmas

Ritually clad in a birch bark woven loincloth and smeared with birch tar to mask my scent, I was ready to begin. I left the rest of my gear all packed up and the honey stove out to cool down naturally.

I stalked back up the hill, treading softy with eyes alert. The trick to burl hunting is to never stare directly at the tree...as this alerts the birch to your presence somehow and will blur your vision.

I searched through thicket after thicket

Even the big curved birch spread across the hillside

They are legion...

After a strenuous, nerve shredding, heart pumping hour I finally spotted one of the devils!

Sadly the beast was too big for the tools I had, so instead I mocked it, taunted it with ancient ritualistic insults, and vowed I would return another day with a larger saw. But for now, I would take its young!

Success! A burl just big enough to carve a tiny kuksa or spoon. The tree was weeping as I slunk away in triumph. Just as I was leaving I spotted another cracker up in a branch which I shall have to take down some other way when I next return

Feeling high on my hunting success I decided to head up to the top of the hill again to enjoy the view in better light

A beautiful rock. A sure sign this area is relatively troll-free

Time was getting on so I headed back to camp to pack everything up and head home.

Don’t you just love it when your pack is lighter after the booze and water has been drunk :)

All in all a nice little trip. Plenty of climbing/clambering to remind me of home in Scotland, with a peaceful night by the fire, and a successful burl hunt!

I even found a few spots for my next camp out, when I can find the time and right weather.

NOTE: not everything i say should be taken seriously ;)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That was great Looks like you made excellent use of some time off.Nice to see someone keeping it simple with the hammock set up as well

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I really enjoyed that, thanks for the write up.

I've been working too much lately and haven't been able to get out, but that reminded me of the great times that I've had in Scandinavia.

Cheers, Michael.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sound advice a burl hunt is no trivial endeavour. Your training seems to have paid off, though I feel your ritualistic insults need work. A decent cutting remark would have had that mighty burl off without to much trouble.

Orric

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Nice!thanks for sharing your trip.i like the comment about the booze n water.i spend hundreds of pounds on light weight gear then go n top my pack off with as many strongbows as I can squeeze in total madness ha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE