Quiet place for overnighter near Bristol?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bristolsparks

Jul 19, 2011
bristol
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of a nice quite place to have a 1 nighter? As in pervious posts just starting out again so ideally like a peaceful place with no one else about just to learn things i have forgotten without getting hassled by anyone

thanks

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Not being form Bristol, I don’t know anywhere personally.

However, if you download Google earth to your computer you will find an aerial view of your greater area. Look for some big woods! Look for somewhere off the beaten track!
Bear it in mind that everywhere is owned by someone! Make a few enquiries, have a nosy round etc

Might be worth a go! Some people might not want to give away their "secret spot" where they don’t get hassled. I'd thought I’d found mind mine but I’ve never done an overnighter at that particular place. I went there the other day just for a bit of practice and a brew up and found a fresh beer can not far away next to what I suspect is a badger set or foxhole. I'm not keen on the idea of being disturbed by badger baiters etc. I wouldn’t know this had I not visited a few times though. A little bit of research might be the way to go.

Good luck
Jon

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Head up to the mendips, there are loads of places to camp out near burrington coombe or just outside cheddar .
I used to have a cottage on the edge of the coombe and used to go there to sleep out all the time

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I don't want to encourage trespass or wild camping without permission but the coast above the M4 Severn bridge or SW of Clevedon looks nice.
Remember; camp late, depart early.
Happy trails...torc.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Plenty of places If I was you I would head over the bridge to S Wales
If you are interested and can get to Bath I can show you some nice spots PM me

bristolsparks

Jul 19, 2011
bristol
Thanks guys for tour help. Will def PM you about bath.

Always a bit worried about walking into a forest and sleeping the night just incase some farmer comes at me with a shotgun lol

Will take the advice of scouting the forest out and maybe contacting the owner

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
I'll show you some of my spots if you want, i'm about Sunday if you wanna sort something.

bristolsparks

Jul 19, 2011
bristol
Yeah im sure i can make an hour free on sunday sometime.
What is your plans and ill see if i can make it RCS?
I persume you go local?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Thanks guys for tour help. Will def PM you about bath.

Always a bit worried about walking into a forest and sleeping the night just incase some farmer comes at me with a shotgun lol

Will take the advice of scouting the forest out and maybe contacting the owner

No farmer will walk up onto the mendips with his shotgun late at night because they are all down the plume of feathers having a good drink .
Also the local police in that area all focus on weston-super mare and don't have the man-power to spend time out in the mendips , so you really are alone there . but of course I am errrm not saying you should not contact the local land owners first

lossandspider

Dec 2, 2013
Bristol
I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if you found anywhere nice Bristol Sparks? I'm in the same position as you now, would like to find somewhere nice and local ish for a night or two of rough camping with the gf... (No worries if you don't want to share your secrets, I'll just have to go exploring and watch out for the shotguns!)

Thanks.

Gav Bristol

Jan 31, 2014
Bristol
Hi BristolSparks, there are a few wooded areas around Bath, one imparticular near the canals, not a massive wood, but very dense, so could easily camp in there undetected, planning a night down there soon, will let you know how it goes :)

Last edited:

Gav Bristol

Jan 31, 2014
Bristol
Hi lossandspider, there are some small woods im looking into near Bath canals, going to go down there for a night in next few weeks to check them out properly, not the biggest but look very dense so can hide in them very easilly, should be sound for a one nighter :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE