Old Tilley Gaurdsman Pump Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Hello,
I have a confession....I've not been around much since Feburary 2012!!!
I left a few things unfinished and will try to make amends at some point.....

Anywho, part of the reason I have been away involved a house move, a very happy housemove....but thats for another day.

In this house last weekend we had a power cut and it became apparent we had little in the way of back up. Roll on much searching of new and second hand liquid fuelled lamps, which all seem lovely if a little pricey. So a chat with my folks reminds me of an old tilley hanging in their shed....its been in the same position for most of my 33 years. I did not hold out much hope, although a quick inspection makes me think its salvagable.

TilleyGaurdsman.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The tank is solid and spotless the seals will be replaced and the 'hat' and cage will be stripped and coated.

the problem is I cant seem to get the pump tube out (does it come out??)
The pump handle is easy to get out an I can see the old broken leather cup seal at the bottom of the pump (inside the tank)....but can't remove the pump tube...does it just pull out? unscrew? any help appreciated. especially if you have photos of an old pump secured with a wing nut...yes a big brass wing nut.

Cheers peeps,

Mojo

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have one of those and the whole thing can be stripped down, all the seals can be bought from fettle box.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Cheers you guys, I have been to those sites over the last few days although none of the drawings or photos help with getting the pump tube out.

Does the pump tube screw into the base of the tank or should it just pull out ?

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
From what I can remember the moving part of the pump comes apart from the inner. There a knurled bit to unscrew and the plunger withdraws.

The bit left in the tank has to come out as it has the none return valve at the bottom and this may need replaced/fixed. Might need WD40 then a bit leather round the top and pliers but be very gentle as it buckles easily.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...Xm9FqTySlkfDWUX7E-N9ni4OywU2-Q4zuNE2nNK07ypDg

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I'll put a photo up of the parts as they are different to those shown.

Thanks again, im desperately trying not to destroy this.....patience is running out though :(

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have one of these lamps.

The pump should unscrew as a complete unit.
Unfortunately mine is at a campsite so I can't go out and photograph it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Just incase this jogs any memories

The wing nut and pump end cap

The tube I can not remove......is it threaded into the base?

Thanks for reading.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
NOOOOOOOOOO.

Stop trying. I don't think that comes off.

The wing nut part and the the knurled bit that the push rod lands on now need to seperate. Then you can get the NRV and the cup washer.

Hope that helps.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
The tube must come out Or I will not be able to get to the NRV.

I probably should have put this picture up last time to avoid confusion.

Above is the push rod (Minus leather cup seal...as its stuck in the tube)...the knurled end cap plus the big old wingnut...and the brass backed seal.

So surely the pump body must come out, but I do not want to force anything without confirmation of how it is fastened into the tank.

Cheers

Mojo

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I don't know for certain but I have a feeling monikieman could be right some of the real early lamps had a fitted pump tube but when it was realised that this problem that you have occurred that's when they moved to the replaceable pump unit. My father is an old railwayman I will ask him.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
That pump is different to the one on mine, same model though but the pump on mine is like the modern ones. I guess that it could be an early one.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Thanks, I'll look forward to your findings.....Really dont want to damage anything and there is so little info on line with this 1950's kit.....without the living knowledge bank that is you people it will forever be a corroding piece of scrap.... :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE